Which mods do I want?

Guest Lao

So the last time I played BGII/TOB a couple years ago I played with (pulled most from my WeiDU.log which I saved)

Baldurdash fixes

Ease of Use

Tactics

Ascension

Longer Road

Mostly I just wanted Tactics and Ascension to make the game extremely hard, but I also wanted all the bugfixes and a lot of the things from Ease just to make the game more enjoyable. I also used to be super hardcore and wanted to keep the game as "pure" as possible, but this time I think I'll be adding some more just fun mods: Unfinished Business, Dungeon Be Gone, Quest Pack, Improved Horn of Valhalla, etc.

I've decided to pick up the game again, and also introduce it to a friend. I've read that Baldurdash has been replaced by this G3 BGII Fixpack, and Ease has also been replaced by a G3 "Tweak pack." What about Tactics and Ascension? Is there a definitive site with all the final, up-to-date versions of all BGII mods?

Are there new concerns about installation order? As far as I remember, it was:

Install BGII

Install TOB

Official Patch

Baldurdash (Now Fixpack?)

Ease (Now Tweak pack?)

Tactics

Ascension

Longer Road

Anything I should keep in mind? Thanks.

Baldurdash (Now Fixpack?)

Ease (Now Tweak pack?)

Fixpack includes baldurdash fixes, but is not baldurdash. You can still use baldurdash if you wish, there is a weiduized version over at BWL. Check the readme files of the mods you want to install to see if any are not compatible with the fixpack. Use the fixpack that will work best with the mods you want to install. There are a few that are not compatible with the BG2 Fixpack, but will work flawlessly with baldurdash.

I can't stress this enough... Read the readme files of every mod you want to install to see if they require one or the other to be installed. If none of the mods you want to install specifically requires one or the other, you could most likely get by using either one. However, you can not install both types of fixpacks.

Ease of use is now within the BG2 Tweaks.

I would also recommend iiProjectileRetrieval Mod and iiItem Mod you can get both at www.teambg.eu

ProjectileRetrieval mod is just that a chance to retrieve your projectiles

Item mod adds some new items to stores and spreads them out among creatures in the game.

No, it retains it's unqiue style. SCSII enchances Tactics if installed after however. IMHO, SCSII fights smarter.

Icen

It's a slightly complicated mix, actually:

- SCSII has its own versions of "smarter mages", "smarter dragons", "smarter beholders", "smarter mind flayers", "smarter demons" (probably a couple I can't remember) which are incompatible with the Tactics versions.

- SCSII effectively has its own versions of "improved irenicus", "improved guarded compound", and "improved twisted rune", because its smarter-XYZ components affect those creatures.

- SCSII has "remix" versions of Improved Bodhi and Improved d'Arnise Keep, which are heavily inspired by the Tactics versions but have been updated to modern scripting and coding.

- Tactics components that don't get seen in SCSII should probably be compatible if installed first.

Archived