Where to start

wiscel

After years of non-playing I decided to pick up BGII + TOB again as all the latest RPG's are rubbish.

It seems a lot has been going on with BGII, there's so many downloads, mods and patches I just don't know where to start. And I want to play the game not read hundreds of topics :)

Which mods, patches do I need to download? In which order, and where I can I find these. I've seen many on this forum, which ones do you recommend? :laugh:

Guest OneTooMany

Same for me - I returned to BG et alii after five years of real life playing. G3 was recommended to me as a good starting point but after some lurking now I´m a bit addlepated. Where to start ? Which fixes and mods shall I use ?

Please give a bit of advice to an old BG veteran returning from the real life wastelands !

After years of non-playing I decided to pick up BGII + TOB again as all the latest RPG's are rubbish.

It seems a lot has been going on with BGII, there's so many downloads, mods and patches I just don't know where to start. And I want to play the game not read hundreds of topics :)

Which mods, patches do I need to download? In which order, and where I can I find these. I've seen many on this forum, which ones do you recommend? :laugh:

Others could probably give better help, since I tend to play basic games with few mods.

Official patches

G3 Fixpack

Sword Coast Stratagems if you want combat challenges

Unfinished Business

NPC mods (I like Xan)

G3 Tweak Pack

Same for me - I returned to BG et alii after five years of real life playing. G3 was recommended to me as a good starting point but after some lurking now I´m a bit addlepated. Where to start ? Which fixes and mods shall I use ?

Please give a bit of advice to an old BG veteran returning from the real life wastelands !

If you're talking the original BG with or without TotSC, there aren't as many mods as BG2. This assumes you don't use Tutu or BGT.

Official patches

Baldurdash fixes, at least until the fixpack here is released

Xan Friendship mod

Mini-Quests and Encounters

BG1 Unfinished Business

BG1 Tweak Pack (currently a Beta, see the thread in the Tweak Pack forum)

These are just a small, and biased, list of basic mods for the games. Others here can give their takes and favorites.

Enjoy the games.

As you say, there are a lot of mods out there, and knowing your playing preferences makes it easier to make recommendatins.

Here are some questions that will allow any helpful people out there the opportunity to make more informed suggestions.

1. Did you feel that the level of challenge presented by the game on your last playthrough was too easy, about right, or were you forced to reload ten times just to beat the shadow dragon?
  2. How important is combat to you? Do you like being challenged by it, or would you rather just CTRL-Y your way through the bad guys to get it over with?
  3. What is your planned PC build in terms of race, class, alignment, and gender?
  4. Do you generally solo or play with a party full of self-created characters, or do you use NPCs? Do you want to try some mod NPCs, or are you content with those already included with the game?
  5. Do you like talkative NPCs, or would you prefer those who interact with each other and the PC as much as or less than the BioWare cast?
  6. Do you like romances? If so, what should the gender and orientation of your love interest be? Do you want to have more than one?
  7. Are you interested in adding new quests?

1 - right

2 - combat is right

3 - male/human/paladin

4 - party with self created characters

5 - don't mind

6 - no romances haha

7 - yes

If you're talking the original BG with or without TotSC, there aren't as many mods as BG2. This assumes you don't use Tutu or BGT

What's Tutu / BGT?

What's Tutu / BGT?

They're ports of BG1 into the BG2 engine, so you can play through the entire series in one game. Depending on your preference, Tutu (hosted at Pocket Plane Group) is the most faithful to the original, BGT (hosted at Spellhold Studios) is modified to create a continuous saga. Personally, I prefer playing BG1 by itself, then importing my character to BG2.

If they interest you, check out their respective fora for requirements.

Archived