Fighter/Druid Restrictions

Guest etuset

Hello there,

i just tried a new bg2 installation with IR. It's a great idea that i hope will get fresh wind in a new game.

What i dislike, is the fighter/Druid rule change with the main component:

- I'm not so much a friend of shapechange, so Jaheira will be considerably weaker

until she get her hands on ioun stones and dragonscale.

- The helm and armor restrictions do make some sense, d'accord, but that it is not possible to wear metal shields while wielding a metal scimitar, is something i don't get.

I dont want to spoil this rule change, but i really hope this could be made optional at a future release. Or maybe someone can point it out for me, if i can edit it out of the .tpa file. I already looked at it, and it seems it's an integral part of every item change file... Isn't it?

Sorry, i'm not overly adept at tinkering with this stuff...

And not to be forgotten: many thanks for this superb modification!

Greetings

etuset

- The helm and armor restrictions do make some sense, d'accord, but that it is not possible to wear metal shields while wielding a metal scimitar, is something i don't get.

For what it's worth, I've never agreed with Druids being able to use (metal) scimitars in the first place. (Maybe bronze would be okay, as mythologically the Old Ones used copper & bronze themselves, but would shun iron. Hmmmm.)

I whipped up something for those desperate to undo these changes to the items in IR's main component. Demi will not approve. :(

Thanks a lot! It works! Even in an old savegame!

Sadly, i can't experience this derestrictor, as i'm waiting for a treatment at the bug-report...

cheers!

etuset

For what it's worth, I've never agreed with Druids being able to use (metal) scimitars in the first place. (Maybe bronze would be okay, as mythologically the Old Ones used copper & bronze themselves, but would shun iron. Hmmmm.)

As i think, consistent use or no use. But 'realistically' speaking it would be very tedious for the druid to refuse to use, say a nail. Not to drink from the waterskin, as he perceives a metal ring on its mouth. And so on.

Maybe he uses metal but doesn't want to be in touch with them, like wearing on the body or head. In my eyes this were the most consistent view.

As for the fighter/druid: he is supposed to have learnt in his fighter training exactly this: using heavy weapons and armor, and these include normally at least some kind of metal part.... If he would shun using all metal, why even consider/make rules about a fighter/druid? I fear no druid would choose a part fighter career to improve his abilities with his sickle... (which is... a wooden sickle?)

Cheers

etuset

(after all this posting, i have finally registered now....)

There are several different "origins" for the rules about Clerics/Druids not liking sharp things/metal, including "it is wrong to use any edged tool to injure any living being," meaning it's okay to use a steel steak knife at dinner, but you can't dig with a shovel, for fear of cutting any roots.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a Druid, say, eating off of metal plates, in order to avoid being impolite to his host (though that's only if the Druid has a sense of good manners to begin with, which is hardly a given). The restriction probably only applies to things that the Druid chooses to do on a regular basis, and/or at critical moments in his life.

The more I think about the iron/bronze dichotomy, the more it sounds right. After all, Druids can wear all forms of jewelry, almost all of which involves metal touching the skin. But most jewelry is made of gold and silver, both of which were well known long before iron came onto the scene.

As for scimitars: I've never liked them because while arrowheads, spearheads, and daggers can all be made out of bone, stone, antler, teeth, wood, or even ice, the long, curved blade of a scimitar is something that can be made out of almost nothing but metal. Sure, you can have a wooden scimitar studded with lion's teeth along its edge, or carved from the rib of a whale, or the jawbone of an ass if you want to get Biblical. But none of the scimitars in the game mention a composition even remotely like any of those, and in fact they all appear to be made out of steel.

I would like to speak only on rebalancing about restrictions for druids and fighters/druids.

Finally, i think this restrictions are nice and allow to nerf a little power of multiclassed.

Without this component, in my game, Jaheira rox pratically as well as Minsc in melee: heavy armor, large shield , decent thac0 etc... and many spells. ( and I don't use spell's revisons)

I think this component is nice for rebalancing fighters/druids even if i know you have done this more to be ok with rules.

But i don't like : Remove Cleric Weapon Restrictions from Multi-classed Clerics

Fighter/clerics with swords? Yes.

Why a component like this. To be ok with rules. Do you think it is good for rebalancing ?

Fighter/clerc is an op class. Only penality for him is not to be able to use all fighter's weapons. (especially two handed swords who are nice with your mod)

Don't you think this class should be nerfed ?? As for fighters/druids.?

About two handed swords who are doing 2d6 damages.Is it to advantage monoclassed fighers ?? (able to fight with a powerfull weapon). If the answer is "yes" , I also think it's a good thing but why allow this for multiclassed clerics??

I know it's an optionnal component, i just want to understand your logic ^^

I know it's an optionnal component, i just want to understand your logic ^^

Swords are awesome. Hammers, not so much. If you check the readme, it's not noted as being needed for balance, so you should just install it if it sounds like something you're interested in.

But i don't like : Remove Cleric Weapon Restrictions from Multi-classed Clerics

Fighter/clerics with swords? Yes.

Why a component like this. To be ok with rules. Do you think it is good for rebalancing ?

Fighter/clerc is an op class. Only penality for him is not to be able to use all fighter's weapons. (especially two handed swords who are nice with your mod)

Don't you think this class should be nerfed ?? As for fighters/druids.?

I added it just because I don't see any reason for clerics do shun edged weapons, and they don't in 3rd edition. I don't think it have much effect on balance, as blunt weapons are generally as effective as edged ones if not more (e.g. against golems and armored opponents). Two handed swords are great with IR, but all types of weapon should be great with IR.

About two handed swords who are doing 2d6 damages.Is it to advantage monoclassed fighers ?? (able to fight with a powerfull weapon). If the answer is "yes" , I also think it's a good thing but why allow this for multiclassed clerics??
Swords are awesome. Hammers, not so much. If you check the readme, it's not noted as being needed for balance, so you should just install it if it sounds like something you're interested in.
Slashing weapons should be the deadliest against unarmored opponents.

Archived