Banter Stopping bug

Guest Monkeybutler

Guest Monkeybutler

Hi, I think I may have a problem with the NPC mod. I installed BG1 + Tales +BG2+ TOB. Then I patched them all, then put on the BGT mod. Then I put in the following additional mods. Darkside of the Sword Coast, Northside of the sword coast, BG1 NPC1 Project, and Sword Coast Strat mod.

Here is a description of my problem. When random banter starts, NPC asks a question, I click continue and it end right there and goes back to the game. I think I have noticed it with 2 different NPCs already.

This link has a pic of the event. banterxh5.th.png

After I hit continue the game just keeps going and there is no further conversation.

I have tried reinstalling the NPC mod.

Any ideas?

My bet is something is messing with the BIMOEN2 assignment of BG dialog content. If you open up your pdialog.2da and inderdia.2da files found in your override folder (probably Black Isle/BGII - SoA/override), what does it say?

Guest Snuffdigit

Hi I recently installed BGT for the first time [i've always used TuTu Previously, but wanted a smother transition from BG1 into BG2]. Anyway I installed BG + TotSC and patched them, Then I Installed SoA + TB and patched. Installed BGT V 1.07 and the bg1npc project v.17. Everything seems to be running fine except I get the same problem the OP shows.

I've also had it occur with other npc's most often when resting. Is this something on my end? Did I install things in the wrong order?

Probably not - no other mods?

Can you open up that pdialog.2da and see what it says?

We are looking for two things - what does imoen1.cre, imoen2.cre, imoen4.cre, and imoen61.cre have assigned as their dialog file (should be IMOEN2.DLG) and their DV (should be IMOEN2)

and second, what does the imoen entry in interdia.2da/pdialog.2da look like?

Vanilla BGT has interdia.2da

IMOEN2 NONE BIMOEN25

and after our patching it should read

IMOEN2 BIMOEN2 BIMOEN25

and the pdialog.2da should be fine as is:

IMOEN2 IMOEN2P IMOEN2J IMOEN2D IMOEN25P IMOEN25J IMOEN2D

OK, confirming a problem n BGT 1.07 with v17 - strange.

[weidu.log]

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-BGT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Core: 1.07
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #2 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Edwin his BG2 portrait.: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #3 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Imoen her BG2 portrait.: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #4 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Jaheira her BG2 portrait.: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #5 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Minsc his BG2 portrait.: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #6 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Viconia her BG2 portrait.: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #7 // The BG1 NPC Project: Kivan's "Kivan and Deheriana Companions" portrait: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #8 // The BG1 NPC Project: Add Non-Joinable NPC portraits to quests and dialogues: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #9 // The BG1 NPC Project: Ajantis Romance Core (teen content): v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content): v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #11 // The BG1 NPC Project: Coran's Romance Core (adult content): v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content): v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #13 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content): v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #14 // The BG1 NPC Project: Xan's Romance Core (teen content): v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #15 // The BG1 NPC Project: Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #17 // The BG1 NPC Project: Alora's Starting Location -> Alora Starts in the Hall of Wonders.: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #25 // Jason Compton's Accelerated Banter Script.: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #27 // The BG1 NPC Project: Bardic Reputation Adjustment: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #29 // The BG1 NPC Project: Cloakwood areas availability in Chapter One -> Open four Cloakwood areas (everything but the Mines): v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #30 // The BG1 NPC Project: Sarevok's Diary Adjustments -> SixofSpades Extended Sarevok's Diary: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #200 // The BG1 NPC Project: Player-Initiated Dialogues: v17

results in an interdia.2da with no change on the Imoen2 file:

2DA V1.0
NONE
		 FILE	   25FILE
AERIE	   BAERIE	  BAERIE25
ANOMEN	  BANOMEN	  BANOME25
CERND	   BCERND	  BCERND25
EDWIN	   BEDWIN	  BEDWIN25
HAERDALIS   BHAERDA	  BHAERD25
JAHEIRA	 BJAHEIR	  BJAHEI25
JAN		 BJAN	  BJAN25
KELDORN	 BKELDOR	  BKELDO25
KORGAN	  BKORGAN	  BKORGA25
MAZZY	   BMAZZY	  BMAZZY25
MINSC	   BMINSC	  BMINSC25
NALIA	   BNALIA	  BNALIA25
VALYGAR	 BVALYGA	  BVALYG25
VICONIA	 BVICONI	  BVICON25
YOSHIMO	 BYOSHIM	  BYOSHIM
IMOEN2		NONE	  BIMOEN25
SAREVOK		NONE	  BSAREV25
KAGAIN	  BKAGAI		NONE
KIVAN	   BKIVAN		NONE
SHARTEEL	BSHART		NONE
YESLICK	 BYESLI		NONE
XZAR		BXZAR		 NONE
MONTARON	BMONTA		NONE
CORAN	   BCORAN		NONE
DYNAHEIR	BDYNA		 NONE
ALORA	   BALORA		NONE
AJANTIS	 BAJANT		NONE
KHALID	  BKHALI		NONE
GARRICK	 BGARRI		NONE
SAFANA	  BSAFAN		NONE
FALDORN	 BFALDO		NONE
BRANWEN	 BBRANW		NONE
QUAYLE	  BQUAYL		NONE
XAN		 BXANNN		NONE
SKIE		BSKIE		 NONE
ELDOTH	  BELDOT		NONE
TIAX		BTIAX		 NONE

OK, checking the code:

bg1npc.tp2

/* allows us to regexp match tabs and newlines */
 INCLUDE ~BG1NPC/LIB/extra_regexp_vars.tpa~

/* Defines regexp whitespaces */
 OUTER_SPRINT "whitespace" "[%tab% %lnl%%mnl%%wnl%]+"

/* .2da patching */
 ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~FW0100.are~ THEN BEGIN
APPEND ~interdia.2da~ ~IMOEN					_BIMOEN~ UNLESS ~_\(BIMOEN\|bimoen\)~
 END ELSE BEGIN  /* BGT Versions */
COPY_EXISTING ~interdia.2da~ ~override~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY CASE_INSENSITIVE ~IMOEN2[ %whitespace%]+NONE[ %whitespace%]+BIMOEN25~
	~IMOEN2	  BIMOEN2	   BIMOEN25~
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
 END

This seems to be failing. wierd.

Temporarily, find your interdia.2da in override, and manually change the NONE by IMOEN2 to BIMOEN2.

I'll check around and see what has changed, either in BGT, in WeiDU, or in something else to cause this - very strange.

EDIT:

Well, I don't know why the regexp is failing, but here is a hotfix for you that can be applied at any time in the install. All it does is steal Feuille and Miss Sakaki's code for setting that BIMOEN2, and I just tested it - no problems. Try running it, then opening a save and forcing a few banters.

NOTE: This is for BGT ONLY, AND ONLY IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE BG2 FIXPACK INSTALLED! The BG2 Fixpack is supposed to set this, and BGT inherits its changes, which may be why we don't have more reports of this (and why it didn't show up in my testing). Changing a .2da in midstream this way should not be a problem.

for the code mavens, they do a SET_2DA_ENTRY

BACKUP ~bgtimoenfix\backup~

AUTHOR ~me~

VERSION ~temporary:bg1ncv17~

BEGIN ~Use Luxley's Code, Imoen Banter Assignment to interdia.2da~

//Giving Imoen a banter file if the Fixpack isn't installed

ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~cdbehbla.pro~ //makes sure the fixpack isn't already installed
THEN BEGIN
ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~saradush.mve~ THEN BEGIN
SET_2DA_ENTRY 17 1 2 ~BIMOEN2~ // fixes ToB version
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
END ELSE BEGIN
 APPEND ~interdia.2da~ ~IMOEN	   BIMOEN2~ // fixes SoA version
UNLESS ~BIMOEN2~
END
END
Guest Snuffdigit

I'll give the exe you provided a try and see if it solves the problem. Thanks for replying so quickly heh, I was just going about reinstalling a fresh copy to see if it still did't work, and supply you with the info you required but it seems you where able to duplicate the problem.

Glad I could at least help bring this to light.

Guest WeeRLegion

Just thought I'd add my voice here since I was having the same problem, even had the fixpack (at least something that's somewhere called a fixpack. xp) installed but still.

Anyway, the hotfix there did the trick, so sweet. :D

Ahm, well, since I probably won't bother making another post just about it, I'll just say it here; thanks to all who worked on the mod and good work!

I've seen some quite awful modder written dialogues, so I've been kinda reluctant to try out dialog heavy mods, but this is mostly brilliant stuff, so again, good work y'all! :]

It even worked fine on the first try I had with it, only ran into this problem after a fresh re-install of everything after bla-bla-this-andthat. :(

Just thought I'd add my voice here since I was having the same problem, even had the fixpack (at least something that's somewhere called a fixpack. xp) installed but still.

Anyway, the hotfix there did the trick, so sweet. :(

Which fixpack for BG2 you have installed?

Greetings Leomar

Guest WeeRLegion

Oi, my bad, I don't have the G3 Fixpack that cmorgan surely referred to, rather just some BG2ThroneOfBhaalFixPack112 that I downloaded from somewhere.

Yep - that is the original Baldurdash fixpack by Kevin Dorner. the BG2 Fixpack gets those fixes and a good bit more, but you are fine using either package - the only one that fixes the missing BIMOEN2 reference is the BG2 Fixpack.

I will switch this quick fix into the regular package when we update bg1npc this summer. No reason not to - the code is designed to do the same thing, and if it is failing for some reason on certain installs, we might as well go for the alternate code.

Confirmed repaired, prerelease v18, 07.16.2009

/* Tutu: Giving Imoen a banter file entry in the interdi.2da */
 ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~FW0100.are~ THEN BEGIN
APPEND ~interdia.2da~ ~IMOEN					_BIMOEN~ UNLESS ~_\(BIMOEN\|bimoen\)~
 END
 /* BGT: Giving Imoen a banter file if the Fixpack isn't installed */
 ACTION_IF NOT (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~cdbehbla.pro~) AND (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~AR7200.are~) THEN BEGIN
ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~saradush.mve~ THEN BEGIN
	SET_2DA_ENTRY 17 1 2 ~BIMOEN2~ // fixes ToB version
  BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
END ELSE BEGIN
	APPEND ~interdia.2da~ ~IMOEN	   BIMOEN2~ // fixes SoA version
	UNLESS ~BIMOEN2~
END
 END

May need a logic check, definitely needs a test - I am assuming this breaks down into

"if cdbehbla.pro does not exist and AR7200.are exists, then start patching".

For docs,

<li> <a href="http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=16403&view=findpost&p=146078"> More robust patching of BIMOEN2 into interdia.2da for BGT </a> </li>

Archived