More install troubles

Grand_Dracolich

Got a new laptop for Christmas (2.0 ghz Pentium M, 1 gig of memory, ATI Radeon 9700 64 meg video card, 80 gig hard drive), and I'm trying to install Baldur's Gate 2 on it.

Keeping in mind that I'm working with scratched discs I got at a garage sale a few years ago, I can't get the Throne of Bhaal disc to work. Last time I tried this, I got a copy of the specific file that wasn't installing, copy/pasted the rest of the CD, and installed the whole from my hard drive. This time, however, data2.cab is the bad file. I've already copied the rest of the disc to my hard drive, even going to far as to write a new readme and setup.bmp: http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blahwc9.jpg.

I still have BG2 - ToB on my old laptop, and I was planning on copy/pasting the entire game over (So I don't have to reinstall mods and redo settings) once the game actually installed, so I got the registry entry.

So, to sum it up, since I can't really download the 250 meg data2.cab, could someone list the files in it, so I could take a crack at fabricating it from the installed files on the other laptop? Conversely, if that wouldn't work, could I just copy the game from the other laptop and put the registry entry in, myself?

Conversely, if that wouldn't work, could I just copy the game from the other laptop and put the registry entry in, myself?
Good news, you don't need the Windows InstallShield Registry entry or any other, as you can start the game from the "bgmain.exe"... so you can actually just copy the whole game from one drive to another, reconfigure it from "bgconfig.exe" and you are done(you need a link cable for that though), when you start the game from the bgmain.exe ...
Good news, you don't need the Windows InstallShield Registry entry or any other, as you can start the game from the "bgmain.exe"... so you can actually just copy the whole game from one drive to another, reconfigure it from "bgconfig.exe" and you are done(you need a link cable for that though), when you start the game from the bgmain.exe ...

That's what I thought, since only newer games absolutely require the registry entry but every time I put the CD in, it'll try to install it.

That's what I thought, since only newer games absolutely require the registry entry but every time I put the CD in, it'll try to install it.
Leave the CD in and exit the menu, then start the "bgmain.exe". --As putting the CD in the drive starts the autoexe.bat which starts the baldur.exe -which is the wrong .exe ... :(

And yes, the CD/CD-image needs to be in a drive to start the game even with the bgmain.exe .

Archived