Lover's Ring quest and Lilarcor

Guest Aesshen

Guest Aesshen

First I'll say that I'm cautiously optimistic about this mod so far; Kivan's about the chattiest NPC I've ever had along. A lot of CHARNAME's possible dialogue responses very early on in the game feel more romantic than I'm used to, but I suppose the idea is that CHARNAME could have developed feelings for him already while in BG1? He seems a bit... needy, but the quality of the writing is very high, he's top-class in combat, and the fact that he doesn't seem to use an inferior-quality community voiceset is such a mark in his favor that I could almost forgive everything.

Except. Oh, except. I realize that him being a little bit harsh about not throwing the ring into the water to get Lilarcor is probably intended, on a meta level, to push me to do the quest, and I understand that, but to tell my paladin PC I'm greedy for doing routine dungeon puzzle-solving? I guess it's nice that he doesn't mince words, but seriously, if I want abuse of my character and accomplishments I'll romance Anomen. And then he didn't complain about the action that had always bothered me in the quest, the killing of Quallo's friend the carrion crawler, but instead had this horrified and humorless response when I was asked if I wanted to kiss it that also forced me into a horrified and humorless response because of limited dialogue options. The whole thing was jarring, to say the least. I guess if he's going to be moralizing and self-righteous, I can deal with that, but by god I would like him to be consistent.

Mostly, complaining aside, this boils down to a question: will I still be able to obtain Lilarcor if I complete this whole Lover's Ring quest? Because I really, truly want to like this mod. I liked Kivan in BG1 and I want to have him in my party, whether I end up romancing him or not. But please don't make me choose between him and my favorite weapon in the game, plus all of its connected banters. And I absolutely understand that one slightly dissatisfied voice in a sea of happy users is not compelling reason to change so much of a word of the dialogue that you must have spent so much time and energy writing, but the way he swings between almost too nice and interested in CHARNAME's welfare and being ridiculously judgmental of her could stand to be toned down.

Anyway, rant over. Sorry, and thank you for any response!

Mostly, complaining aside, this boils down to a question: will I still be able to obtain Lilarcor if I complete this whole Lover's Ring quest?

Yes, Lilacor is still the reward for the quest.

And I absolutely understand that one slightly dissatisfied voice in a sea of happy users is not compelling reason to change so much of a word of the dialogue that you must have spent so much time and energy writing, but the way he swings between almost too nice and interested in CHARNAME's welfare and being ridiculously judgmental of her could stand to be toned down.

I am not expecting everyone to like it; Kivan did have the judgmental strike in the original game as well, so I was trying to preserve it, at the same time making him softer when it comes to the PC; if it's too much of a contrast for you, well, it's too much of a contrast for you, there is nothing for it. I know this sits in the 'development' forum because of the circumstances, but really the module was finished a long time ago (>2 years ago) and I moved on to other work. So, things won't be changed, but I'll keep your comments in mind for my future stuff.

Guest Aesshen
Mostly, complaining aside, this boils down to a question: will I still be able to obtain Lilarcor if I complete this whole Lover's Ring quest?

Yes, Lilacor is still the reward for the quest.

And I absolutely understand that one slightly dissatisfied voice in a sea of happy users is not compelling reason to change so much of a word of the dialogue that you must have spent so much time and energy writing, but the way he swings between almost too nice and interested in CHARNAME's welfare and being ridiculously judgmental of her could stand to be toned down.

I am not expecting everyone to like it; Kivan did have the judgmental strike in the original game as well, so I was trying to preserve it, at the same time making him softer when it comes to the PC; if it's too much of a contrast for you, well, it's too much of a contrast for you, there is nothing for it. I know this sits in the 'development' forum because of the circumstances, but really the module was finished a long time ago (>2 years ago) and I moved on to other work. So, things won't be changed, but I'll keep your comments in mind for my future stuff.

Thank you for the fast and courteous response. I didn't realize the mod was, in effect, finished; the forum seemed active, relatively speaking. And I really do apologize for my slightly hysterical post. I thought about it further after I wrote it, and also played on, and realized two extremely reassuring things: one, that Kivan's tone was not presented as the "correct" way to be by the mod, and two, that the fact that I was so devastated by his judgment of CHARNAME actually must have meant I was pretty emotionally invested in his approval. So, all in all, I'm revising my judgment. Again, thank you for the reply. :D

Archived