Does a "Give XXX their BG1 Portrait" tweak exist for BG2?

Guest Guest

I've never been a big fan of Jaheira's BG2 portrait, as I "grew up" with the one from BG1. Is there a way to make her use her BG1 portrait in BG2 without having to use Shadow Keeper or similar? Are there files I can just pop into the override folder to have this happen, or could it maybe be added to a tweak pack (if such a component doesn't already exist somewhere)?

Oh, and would the override method/mod component ensure that she also gets her BG1 portrait in the epliogue (I'm sure it would, but am just asking to be on the safe side). I believe you can view a large version of her BG1 portrait during character creation, and these are the same ones that are used in the epilogue, right?

You have two options that do not require lots of twiddling.

1. Simply grab the BG1 portraits (resizing one to 210x330 for the epilogue) and name them NJAHEIRL, NJAHEIRM, and NJAHEIRS and drop them into your portraits folder (or overrides, I've found both work)

2. Get Plasmocat's BG1 portrait mod, which does roughly the same thing, but makes the BG1 portrait much nicer and crisper.

Guest Dirty Uncle Bertie

Couldn't you just use Near Infinity to extract JAHEIRAL.BMP, JAHEIRAM.BMP, and JAHEIRAS.BMP, then rename those to NJAHEIRL, NJAHEIRM, and NJAHEIRS, and put them in the override or portraits folder? This would eliminate the need for any resizing, as JAHEIRAL.BMP is already 210x330. Unless I'm mistaken.

I'm not sure on the sizes, as I thought there were only S and L in BG - epilogues didn't come along until BG2... on a BGT install, I think that might be right. But Riviera has the short form. If you do a search on this at PPG, there are some tutorial posts and an ancient post I made covering all the possibilities (because I was getting confused mysef while helping Plasmocat package up her cool portrait series).

The quickest way is to use Plasmocat's "BG Portraits in BG2" mod. But Riviera is right - and you don't even really "need" that epilogue portrait, as long as you don't care about that endgame screenings.

(TMI, but here's the old post and summary: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,22981.0.html )

I'm not sure on the sizes, as I thought there were only S and L in BG - epilogues didn't come along until BG2... on a BGT install, I think that might be right. But Riviera has the short form. If you do a search on this at PPG, there are some tutorial posts and an ancient post I made covering all the possibilities (because I was getting confused mysef while helping Plasmocat package up her cool portrait series).

The quickest way is to use Plasmocat's "BG Portraits in BG2" mod. But Riviera is right - and you don't even really "need" that epilogue portrait, as long as you don't care about that endgame screenings.

(TMI, but here's the old post and summary: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,22981.0.html )

cmorgan, like the OP says, you can view a large version of her BG1 portrait during character creation in BG2. So there is indeed a large (210x330) version of her BG1 portrait available (called JAHEIRAL.BMP), and this can be extracted using Near Infinity (you can then also extract the medium and small versions, called JAHEIRAM.BMP and JAHEIRAS.BMP respectively).

I did this myself, and renamed the three files NJAHEIRL.BMP, NJAHEIRM.BMP, and NJAHEIRS.BMP, and put them in override. Jaheira's in-game portraits (small and medium) changed to her BG1 version. Removing these files from override changed her in-game portraits back to the BG2 versions. So this method appears to work, but what also needs doing is for someone to check that she gets the large version of her BG1 portrait in the ToB epilogue. Does anyone have a save just before the end of ToB and can check this? I personally haven't completed ToB yet, so don't want to cheat my way to the end and spoil things, otherwise I'd check it myself.

Regarding Plasmocat's "BG Portraits in BG2" mod, Jaheira has been visually altered so she looks different to her BG1 version, so it's not a like-for-like swap.

Archived