Widescreen Issues With IWD1:HOW

Guest Jarrett

Guest Jarrett

Sorry if this seems a bit lengthy.. but I saw these forums are still alive and there may be hope :p

Ok, first of all the widescreen mod is the best thing I could ask for. I been itching to finish up BGII:SoA (I didn't ever patch, so the game never worked once out of the underdark, so I never finished it) and didn't want to on a super bad resolution (I have a 25.5" Widescreen Monitor :p). So I been playing along and will be soon finished, well I had the game Icewind Dale I, and Heart of Winter Exp. As well as Icewind Dale II and I don't remember ever finishing them, or playing much. So before I finish BGII:SoA I wanted to have IWD I:HoW ready to go. I did read in the read me for this mod that it does NOT work with IWD I, it has to have HoW installed. So I did, and patched to version 1.41 (I patched because I had to patch BGII:SoA [and ToB] to make it work). I tried making the widescreen mod work, but I get an error. Here's what it looks like.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3632/errorksg.jpg

Any help well, would be greatly welcomed. (Just a heads, I live in mountain time -7, so if there's a time difference responses may be delayed..Sorry!)

Guest Jarrett
Sorry if this seems a bit lengthy.. but I saw these forums are still alive and there may be hope :p

Ok, first of all the widescreen mod is the best thing I could ask for. I been itching to finish up BGII:SoA (I didn't ever patch, so the game never worked once out of the underdark, so I never finished it) and didn't want to on a super bad resolution (I have a 25.5" Widescreen Monitor :p). So I been playing along and will be soon finished, well I had the game Icewind Dale I, and Heart of Winter Exp. As well as Icewind Dale II and I don't remember ever finishing them, or playing much. So before I finish BGII:SoA I wanted to have IWD I:HoW ready to go. I did read in the read me for this mod that it does NOT work with IWD I, it has to have HoW installed. So I did, and patched to version 1.41 (I patched because I had to patch BGII:SoA [and ToB] to make it work). I tried making the widescreen mod work, but I get an error. Here's what it looks like.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3632/errorksg.jpg

Any help well, would be greatly welcomed. (Just a heads, I live in mountain time -7, so if there's a time difference responses may be delayed..Sorry!)

Ah, I see there's a add on called Heart of Winter: Trials of the Luremaster, which patches right up to 1.42, so I will download that and try, I think I may be right. I'll get back to everyone and find out. (I seen a previous post about Heart of Winter: Trials of the Luremaster but I figured it didn't apply to me since the error was WAY different than mine, and from 2008) :D

Guest Guest

I hate to post, YET again, but I thought I would inform. I am installing IWD I on FULL, and then HOW on full. I have tried doing that, then patching 1.06 IWD 1, that didn't work. I tried patching straight to HOW 1.41, that didn't work. So I tried that Trials of Luremaster to patch to 1.42, and nothing, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm actually getting the same error (first post) when installing the following:

IWD I (Full)

HoW (Full)

Official 1.41 Patch

Installing on Vista (read instructions to have it install on C:\Game rather than program files to avoid permissions issues)

I'm using the latest v2.1 of the Widescreen Mod

Also of note I'm using the Collection edition of IWD (DVD) + HoW (CD).

-cmkb

This is what happens when I implement everything people ask me to implement.

Open (using Notepad) widescreen/lib/game_config.tpa and do a search-and-replace (ctrl-h), substituting every instance of 'HoW' with 'TotLM'. Repeat for widescreen/widescreen.tp2.

This is what happens when I implement everything people ask me to implement.

Open (using Notepad) widescreen/lib/game_config.tpa and do a search-and-replace (ctrl-h), substituting every instance of 'HoW' with 'TotLM'. Repeat for widescreen/widescreen.tp2.

I assume this would make the game not throw the unsupported error for the previous poster. My impression based on what I've read on this site, faqs, other posts, HoW should work. The previous poster only installed TotLM due to HoW throwing the patching error. Is this a known issue and is there a current workaround?

Thanks for any help you can provide, looking forward to seeing the mod in action should be nice. :p

-cmkb

Rule of thumb: if I provide an answer, try running it before questioning why or how it should work.

HoW (1.40 or 1.41) doesn't run, I only have the codes for HoW + TotLM (1.42); however, due to a change in the installer executable, I was attempting to install the TotLM codes on HoW (and blocking installation on TotLM altogether) rather than doing the sensible thing and installing the TotLM codes on TotLM.

Guest Guest

Nice, quick reply thanks. I'd just like to mention I am using the latest version of the widescreen mod, 2.1.

Ok well I uninstalled IWD I, and HoW, and TotLM. I full installed IWD I, then installed HoW, and then luremaster. Went in, changed every instance in "game_config.tpa" and "widescreenmod.tp2" of HoW to TotLM of the file , attempted and.. success!

Just curious, anyone ever get the error -

'Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.'

I am on Vista 64 bit as well. With dual NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX in SLI. As far as I know this is NVIDIA only, but this has been a known problem since 2006/2007 I believe, and I haven't seen a fix, it's just people mentioning they have the same problem, except non stop, whether in a game or not, soon as the computer starts up (Mine barely happens compared to them).

I only got it about every 15/20 min, then smooth periods playing BGII:SoA (Never in any other game, that I can recall) so my assumption is that is only does this since BGII:SoA is an old old old school game, Vista didn't exist then :p

[sorry if this is ..irrelevant but I figured I might as well ask since were all playing the oldies, you may have a NVIDIA graphics card and encounter the same thing. :p]

Rule of thumb: if I provide an answer, try running it before questioning why or how it should work.

HoW (1.40 or 1.41) doesn't run, I only have the codes for HoW + TotLM (1.42); however, due to a change in the installer executable, I was attempting to install the TotLM codes on HoW (and blocking installation on TotLM altogether) rather than doing the sensible thing and installing the TotLM codes on TotLM.

I was not questioning why or how it should work, I was looking for a clarification whether your fix would apply to my scenario since I did not have TotLM installed. Since the thread contained two separate configurations I wanted to make sure that the fix you mentioned would assist my error as well as the error once TotLM is installed.

The main page clearly states: "The Widescreen Mod allows Planescape:Torment, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the sword Coast, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter and Icewind Dale II to be played at previously unsupported resolutions, like those of widescreen monitors."

This lead me to believe that the mod could be used with HoW without any addtional add-ons, hence my need for a clarification.

Regardless thank you for the details, I will attempt this workaround this evening.

-cmkb

The reason to support ToTLM over HoW is that ToTLM is an advanced version of HoW which is available freely.

The same reason why unpatched exes are not supported.

It would be possible to add the pure HoW codes to the installer but they need to be found first. And then the new set needs to be added. It is easier to ask you to install the ToTLM (which is also good for you, it fixes some bugs in HoW1.41 and adds new game content). So, when Bigg had to pick which version to support, he picked the most advanced version of HoW.

Archived