SCS and equip custom weapons

kthxbye

Hi @ all!

I'm currently working on a tiny tweak for the BG1 part of BGT in order to insert and randomly give to named enemies some new unique weapons (like Varscona and Ashideena). In the first version I will put melee weapons in WEAPON1 slot and ranged ones in WEAPON2 slot, without making them identified. I have however noticed that while usually WEAPON1 is used for melee weapon and WEAPON2 for ranged ones indeed, sometimes they are switched, so my question is: if by chance a creature has a melee weapon in both slots, will it equip a ranged weapon from the inventory until some character engages it in melee?

Moreover, if the creature has to re-equip a melee weapon afterward, will it use his old one or will it use the better one I gave him?

Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

According to my understanding, but this is based on party members and not creatures in general. There could be some other things that affect them...

If the creature's script does not have a call to equip ranged or equip melee weapons, they will use the last weapon that was equipped, whether that be a weapon equipped from a previous script block or equipped by a mod that added the weapon. If no weapon was ever equipped (its possible for a mod to add but not equip an item), they will use their fists. If the creature's script does include the actions EquipRanged() and EquipMostDamagingMelee() then they will equip the most damaging weapon in their weapon slots that fits the given category. So a creature with points in bow will equip a bow if both a bow and sling are present. If there are points in great sword, the creature will equip a 1d10 normal great sword over a 1d8 magical great sword because 10 is better than 8.

So to answer your questions:

If properly scripted the creature will use ranged weapons until within melee range or out of ammo. When it comes to equipping melee weapons, if your weapon is better then they will use it.

Hope this helps... If not, someone will be along to straighten things out... :rolleyes:

Thanks, that helps a lot in the general understanding of how it works in general. ;)

Anyway it seems I forgot to mention I was referring to SCS IA.. My bad, sorry! :-S

(Asking for the SCS IA since I always use it and will officially propose it - at least the smarter IA component - along with my tweak component so that my weapons will be used, if it's how SCS works. I equipped them, but well, just want to be careful. :rolleyes: )

BTW, I'll just catch the post to also say that the tweak's ready and already uploaded in my forum, linked in the sign. :mwaha:

Well, with MostDamagingMelee() and so on, it doesn't really matter. :rolleyes:

Both Varscona and Ashideena are in BG1 vanilla. Varscona is held by Greywolf, and Ashideena (not called such) by Basillius.

Icen

Archived