Unexplained crash on SoA new game

Guest Silencer150

Guest Silencer150

I don't know if this is the right forum, but I can't pin this crash on any one mod.

Whenever I try to start a new game in SoA using any custom character, the game refuses to load and simply crashes. Either I get the error bleep and it freezes, or it just freezes right before it even tries to load. This problem also occurs with some of the premade character files, but not all of them. I tested out a few other characters, and the pattern seems to be that ANY pre-generated character crashes SoA on a new game, even one I create on the new game's character creation! This does not happen when I start a new ToB game.

The only new changes to my installation were as follows. Since the last time I started a new SoA game, I had installed Longer Road and the Xan NPC mod for BG2. I uninstalled the Xan mod and the problem persists, so I'm left wondering if Longer Road is causing it-- it shouldn't since it only affects the ToB portion of the game. The other major change is that I installed the BiG World Fixpack to patch my mod folders, and then reinstalled all my mods the same as before, but I can't see how this would cause a crash now either.

At least twice so far, I've restored to my clean ToB backup (folder containing a copy of the unmodded override, dialog.tlk, and game .exe files) and tried reinstalling my mods. This has not helped at all, so I'm thinking it's a mod incompatibility. Here is my current mod list, and it's in order, as I didn't want to have to C&P the entirety of my weidu.log:

Spell-50

BG2 Fixpack

Tactics

Ascension

PnP Celestials

Geomantic Sorcerer

Item Upgrades

Oversight

Underrep Items

Valen

Wild Mage

AbyStore (Unusual Items Shop)

Longer Road

BG2 Tweaks

This is extremely frustrating as I was hoping to import my shapeshifter from BG1 Tutu. (Yes I know it was technically cheating to play through BG1 with Weimer's rebalanced shapeshifter, but I did it to test my EasyTutu installation). Any help would be appreciated, as I don't want to have to restore / reinstall again, or uninstall each mod one by one (since both would take forever) and I'm at my wit's end with this crash problem.

Guest Silencer150

Okay-- I said I wasn't going to do it, but I did. I reverted to a clean installation again and tested each mod as I added it. I believe I have found the culprit.

The mod to blame was actually the Tactics component of the BiG World Fixpack. The Tactics mod alters many features of the starting SoA dungeon, for example if you have Improved Ilyich installed, all doors in the dungeon are supposed to become "magically stuck open" to prevent you from cheesing your way through the battles. The BiG World Fixpack alters the setup_tactics.tp2 file, I'm not sure in what way specifically, but it's apparently the cause of all my crash problems on a new game.

To confirm that it was the BiG World Fixpack, I uninstalled Tactics and overwrote the Tactics mod files with the originals from Weimer's latest release. I then reinstalled Tactics, started a new game, and it worked!

I'll cross-post this on SHS as well to let them know about this problem.

the entirety of my weidu.log:

Spell-50

BG2 Fixpack

Tactics

Ascension

PnP Celestials

Geomantic Sorcerer

Item Upgrades

Oversight

Underrep Items

Valen

Wild Mage

AbyStore (Unusual Items Shop)

Longer Road

BG2 Tweaks

The mod to blame was actually the Tactics component of the BiG World Fixpack.
The WeiDU.log has specific structure to notify the alterations, so it would be good if you would copy paste the entire log, not just the the mods names in it, so just open the file with Notepad and copy the text to the post, or put it to a USB stick so you can load it in another computer that has www connection if the game computer doesn't.

By the way, this is not the usual way the mods are installed... Ascension should be before the (G3)BG2Fixpack, and we do not know if you have the altered Tactics mod's .tp2 file from here. PS, I do not know if that makes any difference, or is it the same fix the BWP's Fixpack tries to do to the mod.

Guest Silencer150
The WeiDU.log has specific structure to notify the alterations, so it would be good if you would copy paste the entire log, not just the the mods names in it, so just open the file with Notepad and copy the text to the post, or put it to a USB stick so you can load it in another computer that has www connection if the game computer doesn't.

OK I'll keep that in mind for next time. Unfortunately I already deleted the old one when I did my latest reinstallation, so I can't post it now.

By the way, this is not the usual way the mods are installed... Ascension should be before the (G3)BG2Fixpack, and we do not know if you have the altered Tactics mod's .tp2 file from here. PS, I do not know if that makes any difference, or is it the same fix the BWP's Fixpack tries to do to the mod.

I didn't know that Ascension had to go before the G3 Fixpack. I've read conflicting advice on the installation order, such as this and I haven't tested the other order, so I'm not sure which is best. Also, I didn't download the .tp2 file separately, I just used the (faulty) patch from the BWP Fixpack. I realize it's intended for better compatibility with other mods-- maybe I should just avoid the Improved Ilyich component?

Archived