Ellderon's Thoughts on Paladin Kits

Ellderon

Well, most paladins belong to an order (e.g. the Radiant Heart), but that would be against the nature of a Chaotic character. We should at least prevent NG and CG Vindicators from getting the Paladin stronghold, and since we'll probably be opening the De'Arnise Keep up to paladins, that should be okay.

Chaotic doesn't mean he's agaisnt everything that has to do with order...Just most of the stuff...

A Chaotic paladin would be perfectly satesfied with beeing in a order, as long as no one is bothering him too much in his evil smiting. (meaning, he would not like the rules and odd jobs, but would suck it up as long as he can crack some evil skulls.)

A CG character is guided by his own "moral compass", and they have "no use for people who try to push folk around and tell them what to do". He would end up getting into arguments with his superiors over what the just cause of action is, why he's beingly assigned trivial tasks, etc.

In a group which places so much emphasis on a strict hierarchical order, duty, rules of conduct, etc, such behaviour would not fit well. So even if a CG character were to join a group like the Radiant Heart, he would soon find himself booted out the door :).

Of course I'm not saying CG characters cannot join any organization. A band of people where each member makes his own judgements on what good deeds to do, usually only interacts with other members when he needs to, etc would be the ideal sort of group for such a character. Of course, that describes a typical ranger organization pretty accurately :cool:.

Another problem with non-LG paladins: as you know, we're adding deity selection for paladins, and the selection of gods they have available to them follows the one-step rule, i.e. only LG, NG and LN gods can have paladins.

If we were to have paladin kits available to NG and CG characters, that would mean allowing CG, TN and CN deities to have paladins of these kits, which as well as being just, well, *wrong*, would entail a considerable amount of extra work on my part.

Archived