Ellderon's Thoughts on Paladin Kits

Ellderon

Blackguard sound fine to me...

B.t.w. - The Avenger Kit:

paladins who suffered at the hands of evil, who lost their loved ones or similar. They charge at evil with more determantion and hatred than any other paladin class..

Special abilities:

+ 2 thac0 vs evil, +1 damage

+1 vs undead, +2 vs. demons

Can cast Cloack of Fear 3 tiems per day

Can cast Vengance one per day (vengance adds 1d5 points of every type elemental damage to the Avengers attack for 5 turns)

Can achive 4 slots in Two-handed swords

Think of a few penalties:

- Gets only several cleric spells

something more...gotta run now...

Ellderon: nice kit, though I'll need to see the full list of disadvantages before I can comment further wink.gif. One slight problem: we've decided not to have multiple kits with the same name as it could get confusing, and as I'm sure you know, there's already an avenger kit for druids. How about calling it the 'vindicator' instead?

Holy Avenger

Divine Avenger

Radiant Avenger

Dark Avenger

Fist of (Insert Diety)?

No offense Nightmare but "vindicator" just doesn't sound right to me. May just be me though.

I just ran 'avenger' through a thesaurus, and that seemed to be the best/most suitable alternative. Others are:

- apologist

- chastiser

- justifier (already being used for a ranger kit :groucho:)

- punisher

- redresser

- requiter

- retaliator

- retributer

- revenger

Holy Avenger, Vindicator, Retributor

Holy Avenger (or whatever) are the most feared warriors within the paladin order. They have usually endured much hardship in the past from the sevants of darkeness and harbour specialy strong hate and taste for vengance. They dedicate their whole life to the sole purpose of destroying evil wherever it appears, usually to the level that can be considered fanatical. Their training & dediaction to that task has made them expert swordsman, yet they fight very offensivly, often ignoring their defenses.

Wielding a sword of holy fire, radiating an aura of power and retribution the mere sight of an Holy Avenegr is enough for most evil monsters to flee in terror.

Coupled with a powerful artifact of light, like it namesake the Holy Avenger sword, he is the ultimate weapon of Good and a relentless and dangerous enemy of Darkness.

ADVANTAGES:

+1 THAC0 and +1 damage against evil

+1 damage to undead, +4 against demons

Can cast Cloack of fear three times per day

Can create a Sword of holy fire twice a day

Can enter the state of Devine Vengance once per day

Can cast Wraith of Heavens once per day

Can gain up to 4 proficiency with a two-handed sword

DISADVANTAGES:

Cannot gain proficiency(can still use them with a penalty) in the following things:

- sword & shield style

- polearms

- crossbows

Recives less cleric spells

-1 THAC0 and damage against good

Has a permanent -1(or -2) penalty to AC

-----

Wraith of Heavens:

Similar to Holy Smite, but more powerfull. Evil opponents have a good chance of beeing either stunned or blinded, even if they avoid the primary damage.

Sword of Holy fire:

Create a +3 against evil sword that deals magic fire damage..

Vengance:

1d5 fire, cold, electricity and acid damage are added to the attack for 5 rounds.

The holy avenger seems cool - lots of unique abilities, but plenty of penalties to make up for it :cool:.

I don't think there are official stats for the blackguard in 2E, so we'll need to improvise something based on the 3E version. Also, I'll need to experiment with my idea to prevent evil paladins from falling :).

A little update

Holy Avenger, Vindicator, Retributor

Holy Avenger (or whatever) are the most feared and rare warriors within the paladin order. They have usually endured much hardship in the past from the sevants of darkeness and harbour specialy strong hate and taste for vengance. They dedicate their whole life to the sole purpose of destroying evil wherever it appears, usually to the level that can be considered fanatical. Their training & dediaction to that task has made them expert swordsman, yet they fight very offensivly, often ignoring their defenses. They care only devine justice and serving good,even when it conflicts law and order.

Wielding a sword of holy fire, radiating an aura of power and retribution the mere sight of an Holy Avenegr is enough for most evil monsters to flee in terror.

Coupled with a powerful artifact of light, like it namesake the Holy Avenger sword, he is the ultimate weapon of Good and a relentless and dangerous enemy of Darkness.

Prequisites: ANY GOOD ALIGMENT

ADVANTAGES:

+1 THAC0 and +1 damage against Evil

+1 damage to undead, +4 against demons

Can cast Cloack of fear two times per day

Can create a Sword of holy fire twice a day

Can enter the state of Devine Vengance once per day

Can cast Wraith of Heavens once per day

Can gain up to 4 proficiency with a two-handed sword

DISADVANTAGES:

Cannot gain proficiency(can still use them with a penalty) in the following things:

- sword & shield style

- polearms

- crossbows

Recives less cleric spells

-1 THAC0 and damage against Good

Has a permanent -1(or -2) penalty to AC

-----

Wraith of Heavens:

Similar to Holy Smite, but more powerfull. Evil opponents have a good chance of beeing either stunned or blinded, even if they avoid the primary damage.

Sword of Holy fire:

Create a +3 against evil sword that deals magic fire damage..

Vengance:

1d5 fire, cold, electricity and acid damage are added to the attack for 5 rounds. THAC0 against evil is increased by 2.

Well, not unless they're restricted to LG at least... Why would a Paladin, who's been LG all his life, suddenly in old age become BG or CG and become a Holy Avenger, more powerful than before?

what if there was a script that re-aplied the kit after the pally fell.

Well, not unless they're restricted to LG at least... Why would a Paladin, who's been LG all his life, suddenly in old age become BG or CG and become a Holy Avenger, more powerful than before?

I thought a holy avenger was still a pallidan, just more reckless than most.

Reading the description, though, it seems like they are quite battle - hardened Paladins. Since Paladins *have* to be LG, I don't see why a veteran Paladin like this kit would be anything else...

Archived