Error installing Fixpack on fresh ToB

Guest warax

Hi guys, I've encountered an error installing your BG2 Fixpack and I thought I'd give it a shot here on the forum. Always last to the party, and only like 10 years too late, I found the G3 mods today, and gave them a go. I laughed a bit when the setup script suggested I fire off an email to the author, because as a developer myself, I'd probably never read it!

My install procedure was as follows:

Fresh copy of BG2

Fresh copy of ToB

Apply BGII-ThroneofBhaal_Patch_26498_ENGLISH.exe

Apply Widescreen mod ( worked in BG2 and Tutu, which I also discovered 10 years too late )

Apply Fixpack

I encountered a repeatable error patching some resource, always staff 15, here's a blurb from the error log. (I always hate when testers come to me with pastes like this from my code)

ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 1338 of 1194-byte file staf15.itm

ERROR: [staf15.itm] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("staf15.itm: r

ead out of bounds"))

Stopping installation because of error.

I trolled around your forum and the interwebs and the closest thing I could find to this problem was a guy from '06 complaining about two mods colliding and giving him this exact same error. Given that this is a totally fresh install, I figured I needed to beg for help.

If you guys are still active and don't mind lending a hand, I appreciated it. If not, this falls on the deaf ears of the inter-tubes. It's highly likely that I missed a pre-req that I was unaware of, being a total noob.

Interesting.

Could you have a look in your override folder and see if you have the file staf15.itm there? If you do, could you zip it up along with the setup-bg2fixpack.debug and upload the archive to e.g. Mediafire (registration is not necessary)?

If the file does not exist in the override folder and you know how to use the command line interface, you can temporarily rename the file setup-bg2fixpack.exe into weidu.exe, cd to your bg2 directory and use the command

weidu --biff-get staf15.itm

(I don't know if the renaming is really necessary, but it doesn't take much longer than the alternative in any case.)

You should have the file staf15.itm created in your BG2 directory. You can then zip it up along with the debug file and upload the archive.

Thanks for taking an interest. The staff15.itm file was present in the overrides directory, and I zipped it along with the debug info as you instructed.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4nw4znzzfnt

I guess if it is in any way relevant, I should mention that I have those bonus CD merchants in my override folder. That is assuming the folder doesn't get blown away during re-install.

Well, no wonder the patch fails. (One of the effect indices is all wrong.)

Try removing the file staf15.itm from your override folder and reinstall the mod.

Something appears to have modified the file. Aside from the incorrect effect index, there's a non-standard Modify script state effect on one of the extended headers.

If you are sure you haven't installed any other mods or placed anything in the override folder, and Fixpack installs properly once you've removed the file from the override folder, it is probably safe to delete the file and think no more of it.

I guess if it is in any way relevant, I should mention that I have those bonus CD merchants in my override folder. That is assuming the folder doesn't get blown away during re-install.

The bonus merchants should be safe.

Deleting the file in question got me a successful install. Thank you for your help! I realize now that by not totally blowing away my directory structure, I sabotaged my clean install idea. Smart end-user here. Great customer service on a free product, if only it could go on the resume!

Apply Widescreen mod ( worked in BG2 and Tutu, which I also discovered 10 years too late )

Apply Fixpack

Install the Widescreen mod after most of other mods. This is cause the GUI mods change the GUI and will mess up your whole game interface, if one of them is installed after the Widescreen mod which needs to be installed after them.

And there is a clean backup available, also read the instructions on how to keep the clean install.

Apply Fixpack

Install the Widescreen mod after most of other mods. This is cause the GUI mods change the GUI and will mess up your whole game interface, if one of them is installed after the Widescreen mod which needs to be installed after them.

And there is a clean backup available, also read the instructions on how to keep the clean install.

Funny you should mention that.... mine's totally hosed. I went crazy and pulled off my graphics drivers and rebooted, but I was resigned to re-installing fresh. I'll look into that clean backup link you gave me. Thanks a lot.

Archived