IR's components in BG1 EasyTutu

Guest newguest01

Guest newguest01

I installed some of IR's components (not the Main Comp., but the Weapon Changes, Revised Shield Bonuses, Items of Protection Can Be Worn with Magical Armor, Remove Cleric Weapon Restrictions from Multi-Classed Clerics and the Druid restrictions) in my EasyTutu game, so far so good, I had no incompatibilities.

Demi, please can you make the Main Component more separate? :)

I wish to install the Item Restriction Changes that enables Kensais to have bracers. And later in BG2 I dont wish to install "Characteristics Set by Items".

Glad to hear that everything seems to be working. Let us know if/when you complete the game and the mod can have labels like "Fully tested with Tutu!" stuck on it.

I think Demi and I discussed separating the kensai bracer change from the main component previously and are set to do so as soon as we get around to it (we'll have to track down all mod-added bracers first if we want to do it right).

It might be possible to separate the change to "Characteristics Set by Items" (or write up a simple reversal minimod) if there was a demand for it, but some of the changes are embedded in the main component because it'd be conceptually difficult and/or pointless to separate them (e.g. Store Prices) or because doing so might leave Demi trying to support items with abilities that he may not like or find balanced. If we can find ways to separate stuff that would be better served being separate, I'm all for it, but unfortunately it's not all as simple as usability adjustments like the bracers.

Edit: I just remembered something else that got in the way of separating the kensai bracer change. One of the items in IR's main component is a pair of bracers specifically designed for kensai, so changing it so kensai can only use bracers if a separate component is installed would mean having to modify that item. I don't think we ever resolved that.

Kensai can wear Bracers

I think Demi and I discussed separating the kensai bracer change from the main component previously and are set to do so as soon as we get around to it (we'll have to track down all mod-added bracers first if we want to do it right).

Edit: I just remembered something else that got in the way of separating the kensai bracer change. One of the items in IR's main component is a pair of bracers specifically designed for kensai, so changing it so kensai can only use bracers if a separate component is installed would mean having to modify that item. I don't think we ever resolved that.

Yep, we do discussed this, and the only solution imo is to have the bracers show a different background in case the component becomes optional and is not installed...or simply ignore the inconsistency.

I'm kinda reluctant to remove such a cool background/item from the main component, and especially I'm not too happy about having to either find or write a new one.

"Bands of the Master

When the last kensai of Kamjin-Doh, the Master of Razors, was slain in the fields of western Kara-Tur, these simple leather bands were ripped from his arms... and his arms ripped from his shoulders... as punishment for his destruction of the Kamjin-Doh. The identities of those who defeated him are not known, but the rumors in Kara Tur were that his slayers were the spirits of three sword saints of Kamjin-Doh, returned from death to end the crimes of the renegade kensai.

In the surviving teachings of the Kamjin-Doh of Kara-Tur, it is written that a true weapon master relies not on leather, chain, or plate, but on honing their skills so that they are never struck at all... and this means a weapon master must know their enemy's movements like the movements of their own hand. But such mastery lies in staying focused upon your enemy even in the heat of battle... and these simple leather armbands are intended to do just that. While worn, they exert a slight calming influence on the mind of the sword saint that wields them, heightening the warrior's perceptions and senses, and allowing them to read the movements of their opponents easier. On the rare occasion when an enemy strikes a sword saint, these bands allow the wielder to shrug off pain (which in the teachings of Kamjin-Doh are called "distractions") and keep the pain where it belongs - on one's opponent.

If you wear these bands, never forget their purpose, never forget your focus, and never forget the reach of your enemy. Keep these three things in your heart, and they will serve you well in battle."

Characteristics Set by Items

It might be possible to separate the change to "Characteristics Set by Items" (or write up a simple reversal minimod) if there was a demand for it, but some of the changes are embedded in the main component because it'd be conceptually difficult and/or pointless to separate them (e.g. Store Prices) or because doing so might leave Demi trying to support items with abilities that he may not like or find balanced. If we can find ways to separate stuff that would be better served being separate, I'm all for it, but unfortunately it's not all as simple as usability adjustments like the bracers.
Mike said it for me.

Regarding the Girdles of Giant Strength the only way I may accept them back as per vanilla would be to put a STR requirement on them. Else I cannot support a solution where a party full of characters with STR 8-10 suddenly have all members with STR 19-23.

Not only it's unbalanced (at least imo) but it also removes uniqueness from NPCs (e.g. who cares how strong Minsc is, with a single girdle Viconia can beat him at arm wrestling!) and encourages players to do silly things at character creation (e.g. characters with 18 in everything except CHR because of Ring of Human Influence).

Anyway, if Mike is willing to add an optional component for that I'd probably let him do whatever he considers best.

P.S Mike, we should remember to update the readme for "Druid Restrictions". I think many players fear that component because they ignore that IR allows them to wear shields, and medium/heavy armors too as long as they're not made of metal (e.g. a wyvern's scale armor, all dragonscale armors, hide armors like ankegh plate, ...).

Archived