Spell Abilities Not Appearing on Homebrew Kit?

Sempronia

I got a lot of help previously with a kit-related question, and I'm hoping somebody can give me some pointers about correcting this malfunction.

The Kit I built (from the DR Lorekeeper template) now installs properly; however, in game, the character still does not have her abilities, especially the Lore bonus and Innate abilities which should be available as Special Abilities.

I'm also seeing her spells/special abilities are pulling the wrong descriptions out of the dlg.tlk file--the descriptions and titles are a mess. This is probably my fault, for uninstalling it after it failed to apply properly, and reinstalling.

Other things I've tried:

-waiting until the character leveled up (she did not receive the kit then, either)

-grafting the appropriate abilities on in Shadowkeeper. This doesn't really resolve the problem, though.

As always, help and suggestions would be gratefully received.

The Kit I built (from the DR Lorekeeper template) now installs properly; however, in game, the character still does not have her abilities, especially the Lore bonus and Innate abilities which should be available as Special Abilities.
Ah, well, the problem might be within this line:
~Lorekeeper/Lorekeeper.2da~
As file the name is too long for the game to recognize, as there is 8 marks max +.* end(Lorekeepe.2da), so just take the r away and rename the file, might give you away from the troubles...

I think I've pretty well broken it by this point, unfortunately. ; ;

I made the change you suggested, to start, then uninstalled and reinstalled. (Probably my second mistake; my first has been not keeping better track of what I've tried doing.) That had no effect.

On the possibility that the spell files were failing because they were also too long, I shortened those names as well, and corrected the files to reflect the shorter names. The spell files now refuse to save, and I have no idea what's wrong with them.

Since then I've probably messed things up a lot, but below is the error I'm getting.

I'm honestly about ready to scrap it and go back to step one, go through Camdawg's tutorial again and see if I can't do a better job this time from what I've learned. There's just a couple of small details in the process that it seems like tutorials don't mention--things like not using more than eight characters in file names--that have made trying to go back and make everything line up unsuccessful. Especially when the spell files categorically refuse to work.*

*- I should probably admit that I chose a really hard spell to attempt: I wanted to create a priest special ability that would allow the priest to recall one spell/day to memory. The only spells that have come to mind that do something like that are Wish and Spell Trap. I used Spell Trap as a base several times without success, and had a version that would save, but it's never appeared in game so I haven't had an opportunity to test it.

My biggest problem right now seems to be figuring out how to tell the game how I want it to level up the kit, and then getting it to apply those levels. I'm not even entirely sure what file that should be (.2da, I assume, the one that I'm directing it to in my setup), but Camdawg's tutorial doesn't cover what that file should look like.

Again, thank you for your help, both times now. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. x.x

The present error:

[sETUP-LOREKEEP.TP2] PARSE ERROR at line 1 column 0-5

Near Text: Backup

GLR parse error

[sETUP-LOREKEEP.TP2] ERROR at line 1 column 0-5

Parsing.Parse_error

ERROR: parsing [sETUP-LOREKEEP.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error

ERROR: problem parsing TP file [sETUP-LOREKEEP.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error

FATAL ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error

The present .tp2

Backup ~lorekeep/backup~

Author ~tacita.sempronia@gmail.com~

BEGIN ~Lorekeeper of Oghma Kit~

ADD_KIT ~Lorekeeper~

~Lorekeeper 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0~

~Lorekeeper 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0~

~Lorekeeper 0 0 0 13 9 0~

~Lorekeeper 0 0 0 0 0 0~

~Lorekeeper 0 0 0 0 17 0~

~Lorekeeper 0 0 0 0 15 0~

~Lorekeeper 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1~

~Lorekeeper 1 0 1 1 0 1~

~Lorekeep/Lorekeep.2da~

~K_C_D K_C_E K_C_G K_C_H K_C_HE K_C_HL K_C_HO~

~0x00004000 3~

~Cl0~

~CHAN09 * HELM07 BAG20 RING06 RING31 * BOOT01 AMUL19 BRAC16 BELT06 AROW11,40 BULL03,40 BOLT06,40 POTN52,5 POTN4,2 POTN14,5 HAM07 SW1H27 STAF08~

SAY ~Lorekeeper of Oghma~

SAY ~Lorekeeper of Oghma~

SAY ~Lorekeeper of Oghma: yada yada.~

I'm honestly about ready to scrap it and go back to step one, go through Camdawg's tutorial again and see if I can't do a better job this time from what I've learned. There's just a couple of small details in the process that it seems like tutorials don't mention--things like not using more than eight characters in file names--that have made trying to go back and make everything line up unsuccessful.

This is not a bad idea, now that you have a better idea of what you're doing, and it probably won't take as long as you might think.

*- I should probably admit that I chose a really hard spell to attempt: I wanted to create a priest special ability that would allow the priest to recall one spell/day to memory. The only spells that have come to mind that do something like that are Wish and Spell Trap. I used Spell Trap as a base several times without success, and had a version that would save, but it's never appeared in game so I haven't had an opportunity to test it.

Yes, skip this at first. Give your kit some spell from the vanilla game that you know works flawlessly, and once you know that everything else works, then experiment in creating your spell. You may want to look into the divine spell Wondrous Recall.

My biggest problem right now seems to be figuring out how to tell the game how I want it to level up the kit, and then getting it to apply those levels. I'm not even entirely sure what file that should be (.2da, I assume, the one that I'm directing it to in my setup), but Camdawg's tutorial doesn't cover what that file should look like.

Your .2da file should be a copied and modified version of one of the clabXXYY.2da files. You can read up on the format here. In the vanilla game, clabba01.2da is an empty one you could extract, rename, and edit for your purposes.

The present error:

[sETUP-LOREKEEP.TP2] PARSE ERROR at line 1 column 0-5

GLR parse error

The present .tp2:

Backup ~lorekeep/backup~

Author ~tacita.sempronia@gmail.com~

Backup and Author need to be BACKUP and AUTHOR - WeiDU commands are case-sensitive.

This is not a bad idea, now that you have a better idea of what you're doing, and it probably won't take as long as you might think.

I was astonished how little time it took the first go-round, too, with Camdawg's tutorial. This forum is full of wonderful resources.

Yes, skip this at first. Give your kit some spell from the vanilla game that you know works flawlessly, and once you know that everything else works, then experiment in creating your spell. You may want to look into the divine spell Wondrous Recall.

I will go look into this, thank you! I've never played a straight cleric before, so a lot of the high-level cleric spells are basically unknowns for me; it's the whole reason for designing the kit, but definitely means I overlook the obvious analogs.

Your .2da file should be a copied and modified version of one of the clabXXYY.2da files. You can read up on the format here. In the vanilla game, clabba01.2da is an empty one you could extract, rename, and edit for your purposes.

Oh god, thank you for that link. I was surmising from what I'd been able to see, but that explains things a lot more cogently. I also did the formatting by hand, by myself, without an idea of what I was doing--which would totally explain why the abilities weren't coming in with the levels.

Backup and Author need to be BACKUP and AUTHOR - WeiDU commands are case-sensitive.

This is my facepalm of shame!

Again, I really appreciate the advice/assistance--it's wonderful not only to find these mods, but then to find a community that supports them, and encourages those who are inspired by what's been done. I'm a long way from being competent at this coding business, but just to see the program run was such a huge victory for me.

Archived