Your essential Mod and NPC recommendations for someone who will only ever experience BG1&2 ONCE.

NuMystic

Yes, that n00b really did have the gall to post another Mod recommendation thread.

My apologies in advance, but as you read on you'll find it has a somewhat reasonable and unique basis. (at least I hope you'll see it that way) :)

No matter how spectacular a game is, due to time restraints and my being mostly story focused in my RPG interests, I will only ever play through BG1 & BG2 once. (including official expansions)

I am much more likely to move on to a game I haven't experienced, than replay even my very favorites. Not to mention the fact that I have been out of gaming so long that there are tons of well regarded titles I haven't played yet. (Planescape Torment and the Fallouts to name just a few)

So, I was hoping to tap the collective wisdom of the BG veterans in what you would recommend as the mods (BG1 and 2) which were quite simply not to be missed for whatever reason... be it for content, mechanics fixes, gameplay, etc. specifically for a first-time, and more importantly, single-time player.

First, please forgive me for asking so much in one place, at one time.

I started doing deep research, but found that there was just no way to figure out enough of this on my own without also reading a ton of spoilers at the same time, which I would mostly like to avoid.

That said, feel free to include spoilers in instances which will help me avoid the kind of anguish that can only cured by replaying the entire game with 20/20 hindsight. A few examples of what that means to me:

- NPCs that work miserably together

- A fantastic side quest or item not likely to be found by any completely new player

- Skill/spell choices that look fantastic, or at least sensible through new eyes but are far from ideal in real gameplay.

- A stat minimum that will cause major problems in certain scenarios if it's not met

- Basically, anything you wish a veteran had shared with you before your first run through, if you knew that it was also going to be your last.

Here is far more info than you probably need to help with the recommendations...

- I'll be doing a Mac EasyTutu install, and I know the basic drill as far as read me texts, the mod compatibility thread. I'm familiar with the "big" all encompassing mod approaches and am much more drawn to a smaller custom approach.

- I am most of all, only interested in mods which fit as seamlessly as possible with the original game itself. I am looking for the deepest immersion possible rather than simple novelty and the kind of new twists that are mainly to keep things interesting upon repeated play-through.

- I am definitely character and story driven above all else. Quality writing and engaging, believable interactions trump any power gaming considerations for me.

- I have no problem at all with mature/explicit content, romances, and the like, but it's not something I need for enjoyment. If it's well written and adds to the depth of the game, then I'm all for it.

- I'll choose fun over perfect adherence to npc alignments or canonical PnP rules every time. I Haven't had contact with anything other than 1st edition AD&D anyway, back when I was a DM almost 25 years ago. I'm hard pressed to recall anything other than basic attributes at this point, and classes have changed dramatically.

- Since I am WAY out of my depth with the game mechanics, skill trees, and combat system, I actually don't have a problem with mods or NPC's that are somewhat overpowered. While I don't want a game that is challenge free altogether, I also don't have any interest in reloading 30 times to get past a low level encounter. That's enough to make me rage-quit a game forever. Endlessly saving/reloading breaks my sense of immersion, and if it's done enough can eventually feel like far more of a cheat than an overt stat tweak or power item.

- I have absolutely no problem with "cheats" that remedy tedious or mind-numbingly repetitive tasks. (especially those that can always be achieved eventually, and just require lots of button mashing, resting/re-attempting to be accomplished)

- It seems like many of the top recommended mods are actually compendiums of small components. While the descriptions of each element may be quite self explanatory to experienced players, you can assume that 95% of them are arcane to me at best, or that I could easily misinterpret their real impact at worst. So recommendations of specific components to install and avoid would be incredibly appreciated.

- I know there is a ton of additional content like Unfinished Business which can be added, but being that the game length is already daunting, and I'm not a re-player looking for new stomping grounds, I'm really only after those additions which bring significant depth to the main game, or are so superb it would be a shame to miss.

------

Assembling a Party / Picking NPCs

------

Obviously based on the above, it's probably quite clear that in NPC choices I am looking for those that add depth to the game through interactions and/or side quests far more than their specific stats and abilities. Though obviously some consideration needs to be given to a party that can survive and thrive through the end game.

If necessary, I am even willing to tailor my own character's race/class and ability choices to round out the NPC selection rather than the other way around. (though I am partial to battlemage type characters for myself when it's viable or advantageous)

As for alignment, I generally hover around the Chaotic Good / True Neutral area of the X/Y axis in my own game play choices.

I don't have any idea of how the best written implemented NPC mods fit in with playing through BG1 > TotSC > BG2 > ToB in one run. But I'd love for some sense of cohesion if possible. (returning characters, or those that can play all the way through)

I'm also open to recommendations that include leaving slots free for those NPCs worth picking up for a specific time period or just for great side quests.

I've listened to a few audio samples for some and thus far the only voice acting I didn't particularly care for was Angelo's despite his seeming popularity. Maybe I just hit the wrong files, or he's exceptionally written apart from the voice acting?

In any case, the others I've heard and found I liked, or can at least tolerate (based on voice acting alone):

Amber

Keto

Kivan

Xan

Those not listed, I probably haven't listened to yet. But regardless of how well written, if the audio is downright appalling, I probably won't enjoy them.

I've seen mention that AI changes like Sword Coast Strategems are fantastic, but actually make things much harder. Is SCS good enough that it's worth overpowering in other areas to compensate for the added difficulty a completely new player wouldn't be able to handle?

To any that have actually taken the time to read all the way through this... thank you. I will be immeasurably grateful for any insights and pointers you can offer.

I know only a few of the mods myself, so I can't make any sweeping recommendations as to what you should have. I've also only started playing again after quite a while, but I have finished the game, so maybe I can offer a few suggestions. I haven't checked but I assume these are available for Mac.

Item Revisions - you can look at the readme as there aren't any spoilers in it. It's a rules change mod, so take a look and see if anything strikes you.

Spell Revisions - Another rules change mod. I personally like this so far, but you may or may not want it. I think the spells are more balanced, but you may prefer the original game's spells as this is your only playthrough. Up to you.

BG2 TweakPack - the readme may be minorly spoilerish... another rules change mod that affects a whole lot of miscellaneous things.

BG1NPC - This is essential IMO. It adds extra banter for your allies, making the game much more fun.

I haven't really tried out modmade NPCs. The only ones I know are Valen and Soulafein, both in BG2. I liked them:

http://weidu.org/main.html

HTH

For BG1, The NPC Project is a must. It's extremely well written and blends in virtually seamlessly with the core game. Some NPCs are more fleshed out than others, though. Kivan especially has lots of interjections and small quests. I'll leave it to the experts to recommend the best party composition, though, but if you are only going to play once, the "default" party og Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc and Dynehair is probably best. In this case a Cleric PC will flesh out the party nicely.

For BG1 I also recommend ScS, if only for the Better AI part. I do *not* recommend the Priest and Mage pre-buffing or the improved encounters for first-time players, though.

For BG1 I also recommend ScS, if only for the Better AI part. I do *not* recommend the Priest and Mage pre-buffing or the improved encounters for first-time players, though.

Lots of people have warned me off of SCS due to the increased difficulty. Even without the Priest/Mage pre-buffs and improved encounters, won't the improved AI make things too tough for a complete newcomer to the game's combat and spell casting mechanics? (others seem to think so, but I'm all ears)

Lots of people have warned me off of SCS due to the increased difficulty. Even without the Priest/Mage pre-buffs and improved encounters, won't the improved AI make things too tough for a complete newcomer to the game's combat and spell casting mechanics? (others seem to think so, but I'm all ears)

Let me put it this way: the unmodded AI is braindead. If you see a group of monters you can advance with your group one step, kill the monster, then activate the next monster and so on. Very unrealistic and makes things much too easy. Before ScS I used to advance my group so that the whole enemy group got activated to make things more fair.

So I'd install Smarter general AI(makes AI stronger, but OTOH enemies will be less likely to pound on helpless party members), Better calls for help, Smarter deployment, Improved Deployment for Parties of Assassins and Relocated bounty hunters.

Most of these makes the game more "realistic", not nec'ly harder.

Alright this is what I'm heading out with for BG1:

MacEasyTutu Installation, removed xp cap, the BG1NPC mod, and a few ease of use components. (stacked inventory items, silencing "gather your party", etc.)

Party composition will be:

PC Berzerker

Imoen

Khalid

Jaheira

Minsc

Dynaheir

Axes (and possibly hammers) for the PC and I'll make sure they all have proficiency in at least one ranged weapon.

If for some reason I find frontlining with the Berserker isn't enjoyable, I'll dual him to a Mage at level 9, but more than likely I'll play him as a Berserker all the way through ToB.

If these decisions bring up any other specific tips or thoughts, let me know.

I appreciate all the suggestions and insights. I'm looking forward to putting it all to good use!

Since you have no objection to mods that skip the tedious parts, I'd recommend Zyraen's Miscellaney's "Ust Natha Accelerator," and "Statue of Riddles," and "Yoshimo's XP goes to Imoen."

I would also suggest Quest Pack, since it offers a lot of RP fun, like the ability to save Sanik in Brynnlaw and a few worthwhile quest additions/expansions.

Archived