Creature re-creation for BGII, help needed

ericp07

SAY Name1 ~Beast of Malar - Hunting Panther~

SAY Name2 ~Beast of Malar - Hunting Panther~

Name1 and Name2 need to be NAME1 and NAME2.

For the rake attack effect that's applied to the hunting panther's bite, I noticed that speed and to hit are both listed as 0. I'm guessing this is consistent with an automatic hit that immediately follows the bite, so hoping all is well there.

Isn't your rake attack simulated with a Damage effect (and a Display String effect) attached to the bite item's melee ability? Abilities have speed and to hit fields, but effects do not, so it sounds like you may have added the wrong one when you remade the file.

The ~Rake Attack!~ string needs to be written to the Parameter 1 field in the Display String effect attached to this item's melee ability. The Parameter 1 field is the fourth one in and may be referred to as String or String Reference. The far right column will contain the hex offset to use in your SAY.

Another thing about the Claw Slayer form: movement speed should be 2/3 that of a human. Can I specify this in the .cre?

You can add an effect to your creature using opcode 176 to achieve this. There's an option to use a percentage modifier.

OK, capitalization where needed, and so noted. Thanks!

Yes, the rake is a damage effect. I didn't have a display string effect, so I've added one, but I don't know what data to enter for that, except for probability of 100 (right?). The Parameter 1 field is referred to as String. The value there is <NO TEXT>, and it can't be edtited as string (so I can't change it by typing). Please advise. Yes, I was probably confused before about speed and to hit. I see that those are in the ability, and not the effects. I've assigned what I think is good for those fields. Attempting to add an effect to the creature, I added an effect, scrolled through the list of effects to add, and didn't see the movement modifier effect listed in the opcodes on that page of IESDP, but there is an Unknown (176) effect. If I select that, though, I don't see what I'm looking for to edit. The only movement-related option I saw with a name other than Unknown, while scrolling through the list of effects, was for an increase.

So, I'm a little farther along, but still need to get the text for the rake effect. I haven't attempted to install the mod yet, btw, but I'm saving the .cre and .itm files to the override folder, and then drag/dropping them into the external mod folder (rather than exporting them).

Thanks,

Eric

The Parameter 1 field is referred to as String. The value there is <NO TEXT>, and it can't be edtited as string (so I can't change it by typing). Please advise.
You don't want to change text in NI, even if you can. Rather, you want to SAY your text at that offset that it shows with WeiDU instead, which was what I was saying.
The Parameter 1 field is referred to as String. The value there is <NO TEXT>, and it can't be edtited as string (so I can't change it by typing). Please advise.
You don't want to change text in NI, even if you can. Rather, you want to SAY your text at that offset that it shows with WeiDU instead, which was what I was saying.

Now I'm again having the problem that, every time I open the .itm that I saved to the override folder with NI, the item ability for bite damage I added shows with default values, so I have to re-enter everything *sigh* I don't understand how this can happen, when I'm opening the file from the override, making changes, then saving again to override, overwriting the existing file. Something is very wrong here! I have read and write permission for the game folder and all folders inside, including override.

OK, so I've set everything up again, adding first the item effect for melee to enter the bite details, then adding the effects to that item effect for the rake and for the display string, as before. Saved after adding each effect, overwriting the file in the override folder I took a screen shot to show where I'm stuck. I see that the String field isn't editable in NI, so I'm clear on that. What still escapes me is how to find the offset, because it appears that there's no offset code I can copy in my .tp2. The next field down is Unknown, with a value of 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 h (I presume that's because there's no data). Also strange to me that the last two fields on the .cre's main edit screen are labeled "Unused bytes?" This is what I see:

nidisplaystringscreen.jpg

I hope the changes will stick this time, but likely they'll revert when next I open the file.

What's next?

Thanks,

Eric

every time I open the .itm that I saved to the override folder with NI, the item ability for bite damage I added shows with default values, so I have to re-enter everything *sigh* I don't understand how this can happen, when I'm opening the file from the override, making changes, then saving again to override, overwriting the existing file. Something is very wrong here! I have read and write permission for the game folder and all folders inside, including override.
Don't mod to the override if you can avoid it. Save modded files to your mod folder instead.
What still escapes me is how to find the offset, because it appears that there's no offset code I can copy in my .tp2.
Go to Options > Show Hex Offsets (thought this was set by default).
The next field down is Unknown, with a value of 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 h (I presume that's because there's no data). Also strange to me that the last two fields on the .cre's main edit screen are labeled "Unused bytes?"
Sometimes there are legitimate unused bytes in IE files, but in this case I think you've got some corruption in your file. And this is what sucks about NI and why you're a wee bit hosed if you're limited to OSX (because DLTCEP is only for Windows). NI just does crap like this, especially when working with embedded effects in CREs and whatnot. Not sure why, maybe devSin or someone has a clue. In Windows, NI launches with a command/logging window which will report a "hole" in your file (at whatever offset) if it's corrupted. Not sure if you get the same kind of thing on Mac.
every time I open the .itm that I saved to the override folder with NI, the item ability for bite damage I added shows with default values, so I have to re-enter everything *sigh* I don't understand how this can happen, when I'm opening the file from the override, making changes, then saving again to override, overwriting the existing file. Something is very wrong here! I have read and write permission for the game folder and all folders inside, including override.
Don't mod to the override if you can avoid it. Save modded files to your mod folder instead.
What still escapes me is how to find the offset, because it appears that there's no offset code I can copy in my .tp2.
Go to Options > Show Hex Offsets (thought this was set by default).
The next field down is Unknown, with a value of 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 h (I presume that's because there's no data). Also strange to me that the last two fields on the .cre's main edit screen are labeled "Unused bytes?"
Sometimes there are legitimate unused bytes in IE files, but in this case I think you've got some corruption in your file. And this is what sucks about NI and why you're a wee bit hosed if you're limited to OSX (because DLTCEP is only for Windows). NI just does crap like this, especially when working with embedded effects in CREs and whatnot. Not sure why, maybe devSin or someone has a clue. In Windows, NI launches with a command/logging window which will report a "hole" in your file (at whatever offset) if it's corrupted. Not sure if you get the same kind of thing on Mac.

OK, I've checked the box to Show Hex Offsets (unchecked by default on my system), and now I see that column on the right with values populating it. That's the good news...

The bad news is that the problem persists about defaults being reset for the item ability every time I reopen the file :) And yes, my only computer access is to my own Macs, which run both OS X Tiger and OS 9.2.2. I have to boot into OS 9 to create new BGII characters in the game program to avoid crashes, and to be thus able to save my new characters. My understanding is that this is the way it will always be on the Mac, just like the occasional CTD when moving from one area map to another.

Well, I can proceed with the work on the effects for the hunting panther's bite and rake attack, save, quit NI and relaunch it to reopen the file and see if the changes took.

Thanks,

Eric

If I've done this correctly, the hunting panther should now have a display string effect. I added the effect, gave it a probability of 100, and noticed that the offset for the effect is 0 h. Does that correspond to 0x, then? Looking at the Effects page in the iesdp, the fourth item, Parameter 1, shows a value of 0x0004. Also, I see this in the BG2: ToB Effect List:

#139 (0x8b) Text: Display String [139]
Parameter #1: String Reference
Parameter #2: Irrelevant
Description:
Displays the strref specified by the 'String Reference' value.

Aha! Now I'm guessing that 0x8b is what I'll be using in my .tp2...I just don't know what exactly to write in conjunction with the SAY line for ~Rake attack!~

Getting a little farther...

Thanks,

Eric

OK, I think I'm straightened out now about how to save my files in NI without losing the data. I've successfully reopened EP#MABPB.itm, the hunting panther's bite attack, added the Damage effect for the rake attack to the Melee ability, saved, closed, quit. Relaunched NI, opened the file, and all is as it should be :)

I'm abandoning the idea of adding the text for the rake attack. I don't think it will add anything desirable to game play.

Onward...

Eric

Looks like both forms of my creature work as they should. After dropping the .cre and .itm files into the BGII override folder, I can load a saved game and CLUA the creatures in. They appear close to the main character, and immediately attack. The Hunting Panther moves very quickly, but the Claw Slayer moves more slowly, just as I wanted :suspect: When they die, they leave behind a paw (claw), as I want those to be collectible.

Each creature leaves behind one claw, represented by a black paw icon. Currently, right-clicking on this item reveals no text, so now I'm guessing I need to add a display string effect to the .itm, and use the offset in the .tp2 to make it display descriptive text. Is this correct? I already have the text I'd like to use in my .tp2, but I don't yet know how to specify the offset to tie the text to the item.

One claw trophy per creature? Does that look reasonable? Or should it simply be that each single item is a collection of the beast's claws...or should I give four claw items per creature? As mentioned before, after I have these set up properly, I'll want to devise a way for my mod NPC (at least) to exchange a number of such trophies for special goddess-given favor, as a reward for service. This might make up for the fact that, while many of Mielikki's specialty priests are rangers, they don't normally gain any special benefits beyond those of the ranger class. Later, I'll probably want to create some evil lycanthropes to represent the People of the Black Blood, and give them similarly lootable trophy items. That will be the main enemy group for Hinaeariel in the game.

Please advise :)

Thanks,

Eric

Just wanted to again say thank you very much to everyone who's been adding to this discussion, and for helping me to learn how things work. I find I'm scanning the iesdp more often, and get the impression that this is a good habit :suspect:

On with the show...my enthusiasm rises as things come together!

- Eric

Is there an icon in BGII that represents an animal's teeth/fangs? I'd like to make the Beast of Malar's fangs collectible, as I did the claws, so this would be a further tweak of the bite attacks. I have them set already as lootable and non-copyable (not sure if I need the non-copyable or not).

Thanks,

Eric

Now to make the Beast of Malar change from the Hunting Panther form to the Claw Slayer form in the game. I understand that I need to use a timer for this, so I'm setting that up, and would like some help, please.

I've created EP#MABSH.baf for this, and I'll assign EP#MABSH as the override script in the hunting panther's .cre file.

I figure I can use StartTimer("BeastShift",12) for this. How it should work is that the timer starts when the hunting panther attacks a target. I set the timer with a value of 12 to give enough time for two attack rounds. When the timer expires, I have this set to happen:

RESPONSE #100
CreateCreature("EP#MABCS.cre"[-1.-1],0)
DestroySelf()
END

I don't think the coordinates are correct as written. The claw slayer should occupy the same space that the hunting panther did, as this represents a shapeshifting while staying in place. I need to know how to write the conditions under which to start the timer

Do I also need to include a Global for this? If so, how would I set that up?

Please advise :suspect:

Thanks,

Eric

I added the effect, gave it a probability of 100, and noticed that the offset for the effect is 0 h. Does that correspond to 0x, then?
Eh, no, it should be the hex offset shown in NI for the display string, assuming you added it correctly.
Each creature leaves behind one claw, represented by a black paw icon. Currently, right-clicking on this item reveals no text, so now I'm guessing I need to add a display string effect to the .itm, and use the offset in the .tp2 to make it display descriptive text. Is this correct? I already have the text I'd like to use in my .tp2, but I don't yet know how to specify the offset to tie the text to the item.
After you COPY it with WeiDU, it is SAY NAME1/NAME2/DESC etc. ~Text~ as indicated above.
One claw trophy per creature?
I think that is plenty.
Is there an icon in BGII that represents an animal's teeth/fangs?
There is one at least for iwolf.bam, maybe more. Just go down the list of BAMs in NI - most inventory icons start with an "i".

As for shapeshifting timers, see my advice here. Your best bet is to use NI to scan the game scripts for syntax like what you're trying to do, that way you don't have to get someone to give you an example that may or may not work, or dig into someone's mod.

I added the effect, gave it a probability of 100, and noticed that the offset for the effect is 0 h. Does that correspond to 0x, then?
Eh, no, it should be the hex offset shown in NI for the display string, assuming you added it correctly.
After you COPY it with WeiDU, it is SAY NAME1/NAME2/DESC etc. ~Text~ as indicated above.
One claw trophy per creature?
I think that is plenty.
Is there an icon in BGII that represents an animal's teeth/fangs?
There is one at least for iwolf.bam, maybe more. Just go down the list of BAMs in NI - most inventory icons start with an "i".

As for shapeshifting timers, see my advice here. Your best bet is to use NI to scan the game scripts for syntax like what you're trying to do, that way you don't have to get someone to give you an example that may or may not work, or dig into someone's mod.

I now know that there's a right-hand column that shows offsets in NI, so I think that will give me what I need if I still want to tie text to an effect using display string...but now it looks like I won't need to do that for this creature. In the case of the lootable claws and fangs, I've already got the SAY lines written for NAME1, DESC., UNIDENTIFIED_DESC., etc., so I'll wait till I install the mod to see what happens (or just write a "mini-.tp2" that deals strictly with the Beast of Malar content, as a test).

So, it'll be one paw icon to represent a collection of claws from each creature slain, plus one fang icon for each (about to search for that now). Thanks for the tip about the inventory icon names! Makes searching easier :suspect: As for the BAF for the script that will control the creature's change from one form to the other, I'll see what I can find in game scripts, as suggested above.

Thanks very much! I'll be glad to finish up with this portion of the mod, move onto the content concerning the People of the Black Blood, then finally flesh out Hinaeariel herself (got a mountain of dialog to write) :)

Best wishes,

Eric

Here's what I've thrown together for a BAF that's meant to control the Beast of Malar's shapeshifting from Hunting Panther form to Claw Slayer form after about two rounds of combat:

IF
Attack(NearestEnemyOf())
THEN
RESPONSE #100
StartTimer("PanthAttack",12)
IF
Timer Expired("PanthAttack")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
DestroySelf()
END

I don't dare use the file as written, because I suspect that something needs to be added and/or changed here. I've been up and down the list of BG2 actions in iesdp, but am not sure how to revise this so it will work as I want it to.

At this point, it's not necessary to include any special visual effects to represent the change. The creature's Claw Slayer form completely replaces that of the Hunting Panther, immediately attacking (just as the Hunting Panther did). This form will always fight (melee) to the death.

Silly question, perhaps, and I think I already know the answer, but...this creature's animation is an all-black big cat. Perhaps I went overboard in assigning the black color to all the color fields in the .cre (major, minor, skin, armor, etc.). Would a change in any of the color fields to red show up on the animation? It would be nice to apply some red color highlights, but only if they don't look absurd :suspect: If not, I'll leave the creature a solid black.

Please advise, and TIA for the help!

Eric

OK, here's the revised version of EP#MABSH.baf:

IF
See(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))
Global("TimerStarted","LOCALS",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGloba("TimerStarted","LOCALS",1)
StartTimer("PanthAttack",12)
END
IF
Timer Expired("PanthAttack")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
DestroySelf()
END

Soon, I'll test this, just by using CLUAConsole to bring in a Hunting Panther and see what happens...and post results (and likely more questions, heh) :suspect:

Thanks,

Eric

Archived