Minor question

Strontium Dog

I was thinking of a 9th level area-effect cloud-like spell which lowered magic resistance in a 30 or 60 foot radius in the same way that the 5th level lower resistance spell does to just 1 individual. Any chance of implementing that? It's just that numerous encounters, later in the game, involve highly magic-resistant demons/drow etc., which force one to mostly just use combat most of the time rather than spells for obvious reasons.

Sorry for some reason I missed this post. Well, I think was suggested for Spellstrike long ago but I don't remember anymore. I'm not sure such a spell would be a good idea mainly because only the player would seriously benefit from it. It's quite rare (if possible at all) to have many party members with sky high magic resistance, and the AI would actually ignore such change unless David decide to take such change under his wing. At the same time such a spell would make some tough encounters with demons and drows really too easy imo.

Anyway, this is only my first thought on it, I may be wrong and I wouldn't mind to know what SR players think about it.

Sorry for some reason I missed this post. Well, I think was suggested for Spellstrike long ago but I don't remember anymore. I'm not sure such a spell would be a good idea mainly because only the player would seriously benefit from it. It's quite rare (if possible at all) to have many party members with sky high magic resistance, and the AI would actually ignore such change unless David decide to take such change under his wing. At the same time such a spell would make some tough encounters with demons and drows really too easy imo.

Anyway, this is only my first thought on it, I may be wrong and I wouldn't mind to know what SR players think about it.

Well, Viconia is guaranteed to have sky-high magic-resistance in most games(65%+ in bg1 and 90%+ mr in bg2?, I think?)and is one of the most popular characters used as a result. Plus, the many item-adding-mods, even the moderate not overpowered ones, routinely give numerous magic-items offering from +10 to +25% magic-resistance. I'd imagine by the end of the game, in a standard BWP-install most characters would have 25-50% magic-resistance due to possessing items like the holy avenger etc. with a few like Viconia, Drizz't and the Bhaalspawn having more than that.

Well, there actually is already an area-effect lower resistance 9th level spell which some other mod must have had in it with my BWP install. However, it reduces by only 5% per round and only lasts 1 turn(not sure if the reductive effect lasts beyond that point - it would mean casting it twice at least per heavy-duty encounter with drow/demons).

As I see it party-based play isn't really a problem: your fighter is supposed to be in the front line hitting stuff with their +5 weapons and 10 attacks per round. Casters stay plenty busy in the back row doing buff/debuff management and epic summons.

There's maybe a problem with solo play of magic users vs large numbers of magic resistant creatures. There's something weird about a 40th level sorceror who can raze cities off the face of the planet but can't fight more than 20 pissy little drow at a time.

The ideal would be the d20 method of rolling with a caster level-based bonus to beat spell resistance for every spell. Then your epic-level caster would be suitably epic rather than a half-assed cheerleader for his own summons. Unfortunately I think implementing that would really have to change every single SPL in the game.

Failing that, an AoE Lower Resistance that improves significantly with caster level would suffice: say, 10%+5% per level over 20. This could be in the epic spell selections for the Sorceror and Mage.

Archived