Delainy - Edwin

Userunfriendly

Delainy:

"Edwin, one doesn't have to be a wolf to sense the ill-concealed disdain you have for the rest of us.  Frankly, I don't care either.  I've been treated similarly before, but I'm curious as to why you feel you have the right to even feel that way at all.  It's obvious that you would prefer to be elsewhere, but here you are."

Edwin:

*Look, the cur has managed to speak a civilized tongue*

"Very well, attend me, furry one.  What do you know of the glorious history of the Red Wizards of Thay?"

Delainy:

"I...I only know what everyone else knows about them, I guess.  I never thought to wonder too much about it.  Obviously, they are a group of wizards that rule a country, but I know little more than that, though the stories continue that they are little better than murderous thugs."

Edwin:

"Self-serving claptrap spread by those jealous of the power of the Thay.  In truth, there is much competition, but this serves to weed out those unworthy of power. Why from our founding, we have been a nation bent on greatness."

Delainy:

"Doesn't sound much to different than a werewolf pack, when the strongest and fittest rises to become the alpha..."

Edwin:

"Yes, evolution in action.  In the earliest days of our history, the plateaus of Thay originally we bent our knee to the god-kings of Mulhorand.  We struggled under their yoke, giving obeisance to some figure growing fat on the worship of others.  Eventually the earliest wizards had enough, and broke free.  Even then we were premier wizards, and that built the groundwork for our magical dominance today. "

Delainy:

"Interesting.  I am curious though, if Thay is at the forefront of magic, and it seems they believe that everything will come under their rule, then why haven't they done so yet?"

Edwin:

"Simple.  We are biding our time, and until that day we continue to strengthen ourselves, and our arts..."

Delainy:

"And bleeding yourselves dry with internal feuds, it sounds like."

Edwin:

"And what would you know of such matters?  While your people are still running through the woods, howling to the moon, the Red Wizards are gathering strength..."

good one!!!  i can see edwin agilely thinking of the responses to del's questions, and his recitation of the official rationalization taught to him when he was young of the political nature of thay...

and of course he believes in social darwinism...

urm...is there a theory of evolution in forgotten realms?  it seems a little anacronistic...especially considering all the magically created creatures...of course, philosophers would see magical creatures change once released into the wild to survive without magical assistance...interesting that due to magic's ability to create magical creatures that philosophers would almost automatically understand evolution.... :D

good one!!!  i can see edwin agilely thinking of the responses to del's questions, and his recitation of the official rationalization taught to him when he was young of the political nature of thay...

and of course he believes in social darwinism...

urm...is there a theory of evolution in forgotten realms?  it seems a little anacronistic...especially considering all the magically created creatures...of course, philosophers would see magical creatures change once released into the wild to survive without magical assistance...interesting that due to magic's ability to create magical creatures that philosophers would almost automatically understand evolution.... :D

Yes, they do have the theory of evolution but with magic, they know that it can be tampered with...I can double check my resources, though.

On the other hand, they do also show other anachronistic knowledge...for example, some of those on Toril know about Realmspace, for example.

A nice banter. Eddie keep the propaganda going!  :D

Del won't ask that one again. Or maybe anything else, either!

On the other hand, they do also show other anachronistic knowledge...for example, some of those on Toril know about Realmspace, for example.
Well, it's not anachronistic if it's true.  :D

Yep, when I checked, there is nothing wrong with mages knowing of the concept of evolution.  The average working Joe wouldn't know it, but priests, mages, druids, scholars, and such could know the basics...of course with magic, this can be all sped up...

Archived