Did I miss something?

Marla Wolfblade

I was afraid of this. Miloch wrote the item placement scripts and I don't know how they work.

You can try to pick the lock, but unless you've got a high-level thief *and* a potion of master thievery, you're going to be out of luck.

Give me a day to get this sorted out. If worse comes to worse, I'll put a "master lockpick" in Feldpost's who can open the lock for you.

I was afraid of this. Miloch wrote the item placement scripts and I don't know how they work.
Eh... I did? It's been a while, but I thought the key was placed via .tp2 code (unless you forgot to include it ???). In which case, it *will* be in one of those three locations, unless you visited them before you installed the mod (in which case scripting could solve it but bleh... you shouldn't really be going to locations like those before installing a mod like this).

I've had scripting fail to place items in containers before. The reason I picked the pantaloon painting for the ring placement in the BG2 version of the mod was that I couldn't get it to spawn reliably in any of the other containers I tried. Better to include a locksmith as a fail-safe. Hopefully, he's expensive enough to discourage players from just going to him first.

Scripting shouldn't fail if you've got the item and container names right. But anyhow like I said, I didn't use scripting. TP2 code definitely shouldn't fail. Or if it did because something like the area name was wrong, it'd probably generate a hard error and the mod would fail to install. It's more reliable too in that after an install, you should be able to use DLTCEP or NI to find out where the item ended up.

Spoilers here, but then this whole post is a spoiler I guess.

Ok, well I installed Gavin v8 a few times and then did a Search > Areas > Match item in DLTCEP. I managed to get it in all 3 areas after a few installs, and there was never a time when it wasn't in one of them.

Checking areas...

FW3300

Using key: b!key01 in door #17

FW1902

Found item b!key01 in position #4 in container #3

Done.

Checking areas...

FW3300

FW3901

Found item b!key01 in position #11 in container #3

Done

Checking areas...

FW5001

Found item b!key01 in position #9 in container #4

FW3300

Done.

To double-check, I looked in the containers and sure enough, the key was in them. Here's the specific locations:

fw1902.gif

fw3901.gif

fw5001.gif

So it's pretty much always going to be in one of those places, unless you somehow managed to visit them before installing Gavin (in which case, you're probably going to miss half the mod's content anyway).

I don't really want to force players to start a new game just to play the mod, though. Based on the number of bugged quest reports, it's clear that many players go through large portions of the game before intalling the mod. It would be possible to spawn the locksmith *after* all three areas have already been visited.

I don't really want to force players to start a new game just to play the mod, though.
Well I hate to break this to ya, but there's going to be neither door nor lock on that house if the player has visited Beregost before installing the mod. And the player *will* have visited Beregost long before any of those three remote areas. Makes the whole purpose of trying to find a key (or a locksmith) quite pointless. Won't break the mod though - such a player will just be in the same situation as before the door was added.

Anyway, my main point was that the key has to be in Marla's game, since she obviously didn't install the mod before visiting Beregost (nor therefore those other areas). Could be easily missed if you're not in exactly the right place, looking in exactly the right container.

Archived