Wrong location of a visual effect

argent77

I’ve been working on a character which acts like an NPC but doesn’t join my party. I’ve used MakeGlobal() to make him persistant. Once he "dies" I move him into an unused area where he waits (deactivated) until summoned again.

This works very well until I actually summon him. The action starts with a MoveGlobalObject("A7MYCHAR", Player1) in the baldur.bcs. Which is followed by this code block in the creature script:

IF
Global("A7MYCHARAPPEARS", "LOCALS", 1)
THEN RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("A7MYCHARAPPEARS", "LOCALS", 0)
Activate(Myself)
CreateVisualEffectObject("SPPORTAL", Myself)	// wrong location!
SetSequence(SEQ_AWAKE)
END

For some reason the visual effect is played at the position of Player1 while the creature is placed next to him. Do you know a way how to fix the location?

Copy it, and alter the x/y coordinates.
This approach doesn’t work. It looks like the creature’s coordinates aren’t used when I execute the CreateVisualEffectObject() action. The animation is always centered on Player1 (which I used as target in the MoveGlobalObject() action for the creature), but the creature appears next to Player1 depending on the obstacles which surround him.

Can you have it MoveToOffset([1.1]) or something so that its coordinates get updated? My guess is that the code to move it so that it doesn't overlap existing objects doesn't actually update its coordinates (CreateVisualEffectObject() is running on the right object, but the object isn't actually where it thinks it is); once it moves (or the player moves), it should suss out its true position.

Can you have it MoveToOffset([1.1]) or something so that its coordinates get updated?
Yes, it works with this action. Thanks!

This is the working code (I had to rearrange some lines because the default animation is shown for a split second once the creature is activated):

IF
Global("A7MYCHARAPPEARS", "LOCALS", 1)
THEN RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("A7MYCHARAPPEARS", "LOCALS", 0)
Activate(Myself)
SetSequence(SEQ_AWAKE)
MoveToOffset([0.0])
CreateVisualEffectObject("SPPORTAL", Myself)
Continue()
END

Archived