BG2 Tweaks - True Grandmastery text improvement

Guest Kanhef

Guest Kanhef

I noticed that the True Grandmastery tweak doesn't update the proficiency descriptions, which weren't even correct to begin with. The following changes to dialog.tlk will bring it in line with the actual tables:

32116:

Proficient: At this level the character can use the weapon with no penalties.

32117:

Specialized: At this level the character receives +1 to hit and +2 to damage with the selected weapon. He also gains an extra 1/2 attack per round with the selected weapon.

32118:

Mastery: At this level the character receives +3 to hit and +3 to damage with the selected weapon. He also gains an extra 1/2 attack per round with the selected weapon.

32119:

High Mastery: At this level the character receives +3 to hit and +4 to damage with the selected weapon. He also gains an extra 1/2 attack per round with the selected weapon. He gains a -1 to speed factor with the selected weapon.

32120:

Grand Mastery: At this level the character receives +3 to hit and +5 to damage with the selected weapon. He also gains an extra 3/2 attacks per round with the selected weapon. He gains a -3 to speed factor with the selected weapon.

What would I have to do to put this in my game? I hate when things have inaccurate descriptions so this would really be awesome since it's the only thing stopping me from installing this component.

As a side note, is "True Grandmastery" really how it was in AD&D? I know it's how it was in BG1 but I saw Demivrgvs's "Revised Grandmastery" and remember seeing someone make a comment about neither being correct.

As a side note, is "True Grandmastery" really how it was in AD&D? I know it's how it was in BG1 but I saw Demivrgvs's "Revised Grandmastery" and remember seeing someone make a comment about neither being correct.
Afaik True Grandmastery follows PnP quite strictly (for hit/dmg/speed), but then ends up adding +1/2 apr more than it should in its final proficiency point.

Ironically Revised Grandmastery ends up being more true to PnP for its final Grandmastery proficiency (+++++), but takes a noticeable different "route" for the other proficiency points. The biggest difference to PnP is that I "nerfed" Specialization (++), and made the progression table more linear.

Afaik True Grandmastery follows PnP quite strictly (for hit/dmg/speed), but then ends up adding +1/2 apr more than it should in its final proficiency point.

Ironically Revised Grandmastery ends up being more true to PnP for its final Grandmastery proficiency (+++++), but takes a noticeable different "route" for the other proficiency points. The biggest difference to PnP is that I "nerfed" Specialization (++), and made the progression table more linear.

Ah, so Revised is the closest. I actually had it installed until the other day when I decided to install True GM to see if the description was updated, but no dice. :blush:

What would I have to do to put this in my game? I hate when things have inaccurate descriptions so this would really be awesome since it's the only thing stopping me from installing this component.

You just need to add this code to Setup-BG2_Tweaks.tp2 after line 6967 (COPY_EXISTING ~sw1h01.itm~ ~override/cdt02210.g3~), then (re)install the component.

STRING_SET
 32116 ~Proficient: At this level the character can use the weapon with no penalties.~
 32117 ~Specialized: At this level the character receives +1 to hit and +2 to damage with the selected weapon. He also gains an extra 1/2 attack per round with the selected weapon.~
 32118 ~Mastery: At this level the character receives +3 to hit and +3 to damage with the selected weapon. He also gains an extra 1/2 attack per round with the selected weapon.~
 32119 ~High Mastery: At this level the character receives +3 to hit and +4 to damage with the selected weapon. He also gains an extra 1/2 attack per round with the selected weapon. He gains a -1 to speed factor with the selected weapon.~
 32120 ~Grand Mastery: At this level the character receives +3 to hit and +5 to damage with the selected weapon. He also gains an extra 3/2 attacks per round with the selected weapon. He gains a -3 to speed factor with the selected weapon.~

To include these description changes in the mod, we'd need to get some translated versions of the strings.

Also, it looks like the vanilla High Mastery and Grand Mastery descriptions don't match the actual values used by the game (defined in wspecial.2da). Maybe GTU-Light could fix that.

Also, it looks like the vanilla High Mastery and Grand Mastery descriptions don't match the actual values used by the game (defined in wspecial.2da). Maybe GTU-Light could fix that.

Yeah. I guess it'll be included whenever I get around to covering item and spell descriptions and the rest of it.

You just need to add this code to Setup-BG2_Tweaks.tp2 after line 6967 (COPY_EXISTING ~sw1h01.itm~ ~override/cdt02210.g3~), then (re)install the component.

STRING_SET
 32116 ~Proficient: At this level the character can use the weapon with no penalties.~
 32117 ~Specialized: At this level the character receives +1 to hit and +2 to damage with the selected weapon. He also gains an extra 1/2 attack per round with the selected weapon.~
 32118 ~Mastery: At this level the character receives +3 to hit and +3 to damage with the selected weapon. He also gains an extra 1/2 attack per round with the selected weapon.~
 32119 ~High Mastery: At this level the character receives +3 to hit and +4 to damage with the selected weapon. He also gains an extra 1/2 attack per round with the selected weapon. He gains a -1 to speed factor with the selected weapon.~
 32120 ~Grand Mastery: At this level the character receives +3 to hit and +5 to damage with the selected weapon. He also gains an extra 3/2 attacks per round with the selected weapon. He gains a -3 to speed factor with the selected weapon.~

To include these description changes in the mod, we'd need to get some translated versions of the strings.

You're awesome. Thanks a mill.

JosephJohnson found another string in need of correction (displayed upon character creation):

STRING_SET 9588 ~You have been given proficiencies to start your character with.  These represent the ability to effectively use weapons.  You may choose from any of the selectable proficiencies available to your character class.  If your character is a fighter he will be able to choose the same proficiency up to five times.  This will grant him additional levels of specialization with the weapon listed.  Keep in mind that a character can use any weapon available to his race and class whether he has proficiency with it or not.  However, if he attacks using a weapon that he is not proficient with, he suffers a minus to his attack roll.

Proficiency Slot Table:
1 slot: none
2 slots: +1 to hit, +2 to damage, an extra half attack.
3 slots: +3 to hit, +3 to damage, an extra half attack.
4 slots: +3 to hit, +4 to damage, an extra half attack. -1 to speed 
5 slots: +3 to hit, +5 to damage, an extra one and a half attack. -3 to speed~

Archived