Area Specific Crashes

Ayce

If you're still getting crashes in the Coronet with a *new* install and new game, try doing a weidu --change-log ar0406.are from the command prompt in your game folder (see the SHS megamod FAQ for more info on that). Then also maybe look at the area with an editor (NI or DLTCEP) and see if there are any funky mod-added items in containers. From a different area, CLUA them in and see if any crash.

groan............

did both these suggestions,

change-log reports no mods are affecting ar0406.are, which is odd because the Shazzelim sub-quest affects Bernard's dialog at the very least.

I looked at are0406.are with both NI and AreaEdit.exe and found no funky items that I don't remember being in the game from previous playthroughs

I have some suspiciouns now that all these other things have been eliminated.............

So, been doing more work on the druid spell mod?

Yes, and I'm beginning to suspect that may be the problem. You see, I've been adding custom spells and items for years with no such errors ever occuring, all the NBF spells I'd developed so far have been working just fine.

However, having eliminated other potential problems, I'm forced to examine my most recent update more closely and I have some suspicions...................

The most recent NBF update included a couple of new spells, which have already been tested to work just fine, but I've also started messing with some of the base settings................................

I.e., in my earlier posts about NBF, i'd noted that I lamented the loss of some of the unique flavor of the 1st edition druid and felt the 2nd edition druid got much watered down (even more so in black isle games, so much so there was very little difference between a cleric and a druid IMHO).

So, I did as I proposed and reclassified a number of priest spells as "cleric/palidan only" only and "ranger/druid only". I noticed that I did overwrite an override file or two in doing this, could overwriting those apparent bugfixes be the root of the problem? But why would this only occur only at the Copper Coronet? I've played the whole Trademeet/Druid Grove & Umar Hills/ Shade Dungeon Quests with no such crashed. I had also been to most areas in Athkatla before attempting to enter the Copper Coronet.

Then it occured to me that there are conflicts with Anomen's .cre files. I'd assumed any spells already known by a certain .cre would just be accepted regardless of priest/wizard setting. This may be stretching, but it's the only reason I can think of for these crashes to be specific to the Copper Coronet. Then again, I've experienced no such crashes with Aerie or the Circus Illusion.

This also doesn't explain why baldur.err is reporting some sort of item problem which I still can't figure.

The only other thing I did was to use a trick I learned from spell revisions to get rid of the 7th level priest spell Confusion (replacing it with a 5th level druid only version). I learned from the author of spell revisions to create an erroneous priest setting so that now priest characters would be able to "learn" it. Have there been any similar reports of crashes from SR?

These are only two things different from previous successful playthroughs, so I figure somewhere therein lies the answer, but I lack sufficient expertise to determine the exact cause, my best guess is the new priest settings on some spells are causing problems. But why only in the copper coronet?

change-log reports no mods are affecting ar0406.are, which is odd because the Shazzelim sub-quest affects Bernard's dialog at the very least.
It's not odd at all, see the change-log'ging only checks if the specified file is effected by any component and in which order, not the files within files... or it would just print the whole WeiDU.log and that wouldn't tell anything about the specified file. Now, if there's no mod affecting the "ar0406.are" file, then there was no changes made to that file(so nothing was added or removed by any Weidu -mod), but the files it contains might have been altered, so you have the change-log them ...
Guest Guest_Miloch_*
This also doesn't explain why baldur.err is reporting some sort of item problem which I still can't figure.
Did you try it without NBF? I thought you made a WeiDU installer for it, so you should be able to uninstall it easily.

The only thing remotely similar to that error I saw was here, without a conclusive resolution for it.

Did you try it without NBF? I thought you made a WeiDU installer for it, so you should be able to uninstall it easily.

The only thing remotely similar to that error I saw was here, without a conclusive resolution for it.

1. I don't have a weidu for NBF as I can barely write kit weidus at this time (I could probably write simple item weidus too), i'd been so used to IEEP, I was very late in learning any weidu at all. So writing NBF in weidu form is beyond me at this point. I remember you had done one for NBF1.0, but never sent it to me as updates and bugfixes were already in the works..............

2. Yes the SHS forum describes a very similar issue, I wonder what his crashes were like. Mine would save my current game, try to load Copper Coronet, then crash. It wouldn't simply close as is often the case with crashes, it would stay open with a pitch black window and I would need to right-click-close the tab or cntl-alt-delete and select that BG2 to be shut down. Anyway.........................

My comp just took another dump, faulty hard drive (BG2 may have been installing ar407 to a bad sector). So we'll see what happens with the new hard drive.

The only other potentially relevant thing I can think of is that I started having problems like this when I installed TDD with some weidu mods as well. Certain crashes I could tell were triggered by certain events (example, a crash at D'arnise keep was triggered when I lowered the draw bridge).

Since abandoning that game, and doing a regular game with the mods I mentioned, my crash problems have been limited to the Copper Coronet, but I've only played so far into the game (Dungeon D'Irenicus, Waukeen's Promenade, Kalah's Realm, Govt District, Docks Area, Harper Hold/Prebek's Home, City Gates/Crooked Crane, Trademeet/Druid Grove & Umar Hills/Shade Dungeon). Anyway.........

I still suspect the new "priest settings" I did with several spells for NBF may be the culprit as well. Again, we'll see when I get my new HD and do a fresh install on it.

Archived