Additional priest spells

yarpen

Hello, after my PC format I've started to work seriously on my little project of improving Priests as overall by adding spheres system, Speciality Priests and stuff. Probably most of you already read topic on SHS from some time ago - now stuff is getting serious. Aknowledged by mistakes of Divine Remixes - first thing which I've started to do was adding spells - in DR there were certain situations where characters were lacking of spells. Nightcloak of Shar at 6th level could cast TWO spells. That's why I'm currently working on broading spells repertoire a bit so spheres system will be more playable.

But why I'm writing about it on Spell Revision forum? Well, I decided to make it currently to have a requirement of Spell Revision mod, and new spells well... I try to make them resemble those from Spell Revision. I think it's a great base for expansions such as mine. So, let me show you first seven spells on which I'm currently working. All of those come from 2nd edition Player's Handbook. After I'll finish those I am going to start working on spells from other handbooks (which are much more interesting).

Current list of spells to be done for first part of Faiths and Avatars (Spells).

1st level

Dispel Fatigue (Necromantic): removes fatigue and winded-up effects of spells and abilities (Haste, Enrage, Restoration)

Call Upon Faith (Summoning): grants +3 bonus to Attack Rolls, Damage Rolls, AC and Saving Throws for 1 round.

2nd level

Obscurement (Weather): reduces sight of all creatures to 50%. Creatures under obscurement gain +1/+3 vs. missles AC bonus and are untargettable by spells.

Hesitation (Time): grants +4 Speed Factor penalty and +2 Spellcasting Time penalty.

Beast Claw (Animal): creates animal fangs usable as magical weapon.

3rd level

Etherealness (Astral): priest become ethereal (effect to discuss)

Snare (Plant): deals 1d4/level (max 10d4) of bludgeoning damage and entangles victim for 1 Turn. (save vs. breath negates)

Accelerate Healing (Time): grants 1 Hit Point/Turn regeneration for 8 hours.

4th level

Abjure (Summoning, Astral): banishes selected non-unique extra-planar creature.

Plant Door (Plant): Dimension Doors; works only outdoor.

Dimensional Anchor (Guardian, Astral): grants immunity to Maze, Imprisonment, Teleportation Field, Dimension Door, Shadow Door.

Chaotic Combat (Chaos): every round there is chance for +4 bonuses (75% chance) or -2 penalties (25%) to Attack Rolls, Damage Rolls and AC.

5th level

Impregnable Mind (Protection, Thought): grants immunity to all mind-affecting spells.

Animal Growth (Animal): grants +2 bonus to Attack Rolls, Damage Rolls, AC, Saving Throws and 20% bonus to Hit Points to all animals in area of effect.

Misfortune (Charm): grants -3 penalty to Attack Rolls, Damage Rolls, AC, Saving Throws and Thieving skills after successful touch attack.

Animal Rage (Animal): tba.

6th level

Flesh to Stone/Stone to Flesh (Elemental: Earth): works like wizard's spells.

Spiritual Wrath (Combat): AoE damaging spell

Word of Recall (Summoning): available only after obtaining stronghold. Returns your party back to Temple.

Anti-animal Shell (Animal): protection from Animals.

Whirlwind (Elemental, Air): AoE damaging spell

Heroes' Feast (Creation): after casting this spell party rests. It cannot be interrupted. For next 8 hours after rest party gets Bless, Immunity to Poison and Disease.

7th level

Impervious Sanctity of Mind (Protection, Thought): protection from mind-affecting spells, abilities and psionics.

To Demi: I hope this topic isn't violating rights of your mod's forum. If you don't like it just tell me and I'll move it to some other forum. :D
Ahaha, don't worry. Sorry for taking so long to reply to your PM, I'll do it here.

Repel Insects

Some time ago there was a discussion about Summon Insects spells which didn't had any proper counter or protection. In Rogue Rebalancing scripts, victims of those are using POTIONS to DISPEL them. It's ridiculous. That's why I've compiled two PnP spells into Repel Insects which not only removes all working Insects spells but additionally protects against them for a long time. I'm not sure about it working on whole party - I'd think about changing it into 1 target spell or making it work as Ward - on whole area, so Party and Enemies.
This seems more a convenient tool rather than an interesting spell imo. As far as I know the AI almost never use insect spells, and when they do I'm not sure I like the idea that a 1st level spell can grant immunity to a 7th lvl spell like Creeping Doom, especially if it does so to the entire party. Both SCS and SR tweaked insect spells to be more "target-friendly" thus I'm not sure adding a cheap counter to those spell is a great idea.

Produce Flame

Just a minor version of Melf's Miniature Meteors. It deals lesser damage, has only +1 enchantment, can attack once per round but has secondary effect of -1 penalties to ThaC0/AC. I like this particular one because I'm currently working on Flame's BAM made from torch-fire in-game animation which is kind'a cute.
I was thinking about this spell too, though I'd stay more true to PnP and not add your custom secondary penalty (why is it there? to compensate the slower apr?). If you need to enhance it I'd suggest to replace it with something more close to PnP, making the target burn for an additional round. Remember that you can't really force 1 apr as per PnP, because fighter/druids will have better apr (I had the same "problem" with Fire Seed). Regarding its implementation I don't like much that it would be considered a weapon with an enchantment lvl (considerably altering the concept), and druid already have tons of fire-based spells (with this you'd have three of them in the 2nd lvl slot), but I suppose players can appreciate having a sort of MMM spell for druids.

Snare

Ooh, tricky but cool idea using this spell. My only concern is that "trap" like spells are heavily exploitable, but we already have tons of them (Fire Trap, Skull Trap, Symbols) thus one more is probably not going to change much. PnP version is quite weak/unappealing if you ask me (1d6 dmg and entangle to 1 creature) thus if you go for it you surely have to do something like raising the damage. An alternative solution can be making it affect multiple targets, turning it into a party friendly Entangle, but that would be a noticeable change to the original concept.

Abjure

From whole set of spells this one is probably the most important and powerfull. Allows to easily remove from existence a Demon, Elemental, even Deva/Planetar. I think such a Banish-like spell was needed, I'm not sure about it's 4th level - maybe 5th or 6th would be far more appropriate. Also I'm not sure on what sort of creatures it's working: Demons, Elementals, Deva/Planetar - something else?
Summoned Genies should probably be affected too, and in theory even Invisible Stalkers, but Death Spell (Banishment within SR V4) already covers them. Note that SCS demons are not flagged as "Summoned Demons" anymore. As you say, this spell can seriously alter the balance, but on paper it doesn't sound terribly OP compared to other "similar" abjurations (e.g. spell removals generally removes spell protections of much higher lvls, and without a save), as long as it allow a save.

Sticks to Snakes

I was thinking to add snakes too, though my idea was to grant an Animal Summoning spell to almost any lvl. Do you really need more summons for 4th lvl slots? We already have ASI and Call Woodland Beings.

Animal Growth

I was going to suggest it for V4. It makes even low lvl AS spells much more effective.

Heroes' Feast

It's hard to say anything great about this spell. It creates 6x combination of Elixir of Healing, Bless and Protection from Fear - and it occupies 6th level spell. I need to implement it because I'm in severe need of adding anything from Creation sphere but I think that this spell could be improved.
PnP version cannot be cast during combat. :) Not a great spell imo.

Changestaff

Similiar to SR's Summon Shambling Mound, but Treant (who will probably share animation with SM) has some different traits. In description there is nothing about vulnerability to fire damage, I was thinking about implementing it as a sort of panic when he's struck with fire which makes him a bit more glass-cannon.
I'm not sure Druids need another summon almost identical to Shamblers and in the same spell slot, do they?
This seems more a convenient tool rather than an interesting spell imo. As far as I know the AI almost never use insect spells, and when they do I'm not sure I like the idea that a 1st level spell can grant immunity to a 7th lvl spell like Creeping Doom, especially if it does so to the entire party. Both SCS and SR tweaked insect spells to be more "target-friendly" thus I'm not sure adding a cheap counter to those spell is a great idea.

Well, I've had two visions of this spell.

1) presented here 1st level simple Protection from insects spells

2) available at higher level (probably 3rd or 4th as it was in PnP) Protection from Insects, which grants you immunity to spells and Protection from 1HD insects... there are only Small Spiders. Damn. Not sure if this one will make it.

I'm not sure it second one would be more interesting.

I was thinking about this spell too, though I'd stay more true to PnP and not add your custom secondary penalty (why is it there? to compensate the slower apr?). If you need to enhance it I'd suggest to replace it with something more close to PnP, making the target burn for an additional round. Remember that you can't really force 1 apr as per PnP, because fighter/druids will have better apr (I had the same "problem" with Fire Seed). Regarding its implementation I don't like much that it would be considered a weapon with an enchantment lvl (considerably altering the concept), and druid already have tons of fire-based spells (with this you'd have three of them in the 2nd lvl slot), but I suppose players can appreciate having a sort of MMM spell for druids.

This combat penalty was a sort of my version of "creature is trying to get rid of flames", but your comment proves that it didn't catched up the concept right. Mhm, I don't like it's enchantment too - it should be "just" a flame. So I'll probably turn it back to be un-enchanted.

What about amount of spells - I want to implement PnP sphere system in my mod. And also, spells from other elements are coming too: Stone Spike, Whirlwind, Watery Fists. Maybe also Smashing Wave and Cloudburst from IWD.

Ooh, tricky but cool idea using this spell. My only concern is that "trap" like spells are heavily exploitable, but we already have tons of them (Fire Trap, Skull Trap, Symbols) thus one more is probably not going to change much. PnP version is quite weak/unappealing if you ask me (1d6 dmg and entangle to 1 creature) thus if you go for it you surely have to do something like raising the damage. An alternative solution can be making it affect multiple targets, turning it into a party friendly Entangle, but that would be a noticeable change to the original concept.

I wasn't sure about damage output. 1d6 per level with max of 10d6 at 10th would be fine? So it starts with 5d6 when becomes available? I don't like it working with AoE.

Summoned Genies should probably be affected too, and in theory even Invisible Stalkers, but Death Spell (Banishment within SR V4) already covers them. Note that SCS demons are not flagged as "Summoned Demons" anymore. As you say, this spell can seriously alter the balance, but on paper it doesn't sound terribly OP compared to other "similar" abjurations (e.g. spell removals generally removes spell protections of much higher lvls, and without a save), as long as it allow a save.

So Demons, Planetars, Devas, Genies, Invisible Stalkers, Elementals. And yes, it allows save without any modifier. This spell will work on any demon. I'm not sure about area restriction. I think that demons shouldn't be possible to be banished from Hell and Planar Sphere.

I was thinking to add snakes too, though my idea was to grant an Animal Summoning spell to almost any lvl. Do you really need more summons for 4th lvl slots? We already have ASI and Call Woodland Beings.

Snakes are quite interesting in PnP and possess few nice abilities - that's why I wanted to implement this spell. I'm not sure why but snakes are exluded from any Summon Animal spells tables where you can find even Werewolves and Whales. :D I'm not sure about messing with Summon Animals standard, of course if you're going to create new Summon Monsters spells, why not.

I've got also a nice idea about revising Call Woodland Beings. In PnP it allows to summon Dryad OR low-level Treant. Dryad can charm enemies with -3 saves modifier and use some minor magic, Treant is straightforward fighter.

I was going to suggest it for V4. It makes even low lvl AS spells much more effective.

Yup, this spell is awesome. :thumbsup:

PnP version cannot be cast during combat. Not a great spell imo.

Yeah, I know. But I've got some crazy idea:

- Heroes Feast automatically makes party Rest.

- During this Rest everyone eats this awesome food, which grants them various bonuses: protection from fear, poison, disease and Bless for whole day.

I think that'd be quite nice solution. :)

I'm not sure Druids need another summon almost identical to Shamblers and in the same spell slot, do they?

You're probably right. At start I was thinking about deprecating Summon Shamblers spell, but now I'd prefer to move Treant to Call Woodland Beings. Shamblers fit much better into power-house theme.

Thanks for reply!

Produce Flame

This combat penalty was a sort of my version of "creature is trying to get rid of flames", but your comment proves that it didn't catched up the concept right. Mhm, I don't like it's enchantment too - it should be "just" a flame. So I'll probably turn it back to be un-enchanted.
The problem is that as a non-enchanted weapon it works even worse imo. :)

What about amount of spells - I want to implement PnP sphere system in my mod. And also, spells from other elements are coming too: Stone Spike, Whirlwind, Watery Fists. Maybe also Smashing Wave and Cloudburst from IWD.
I'm just saying that there already are tons of fire based spells, and that if I had to add new druid spells I'd go with non-fire based ones (I've discussed new druid spells many times, for example here). Furthermore, wouldn't this spell belong to the same sphere of Fire Trap and Flame Blade in 2nd spell lvl slot? :D

Snare

I wasn't sure about damage output. 1d6 per level with max of 10d6 at 10th would be fine? So it starts with 5d6 when becomes available? I don't like it working with AoE.
Well, 10d6 seems too much for a 3rd lvl spell with a "trap" feature and a secondary disabling effect (Lightning Bolt would pale in comparison imo). I probably wouldn't go for more than 10d4.

Abjure

This spell will work on any demon. I'm not sure about area restriction. I think that demons shouldn't be possible to be banished from Hell and Planar Sphere.
Mmm...it may be quite tricky. How do you handle the xp issue? You shouldn't get them as you're not killing those not summoned demons. What about quest related demons (e.g. Underdark Balor)? They should be immune to not "break the game" but that would instead break your concept of the spell. If you want the spell to affect "non summoned" extraplanars then you surely have to add a bunch of area checks like the ones you've mentioned.

Call Woodland Beings

I've got also a nice idea about revising Call Woodland Beings. In PnP it allows to summon Dryad OR low-level Treant. Dryad can charm enemies with -3 saves modifier and use some minor magic, Treant is straightforward fighter.
I discussed this at least a couple of times and yes, I suggested to add Dryads for mid-low lvls and let the spell summon a Nymph only at 12th+ lvl. I'm not sure about putting here a treant because it doesn't fit the "spellcasting" theme.

Dryads need to be a mix of 2nd and 3rd edition to matter, because AD&D ones are simply useless as summon (they only had Charm Person). They should have 3 or 4HD and cast 1st and 2nd lvl spells, pratically a sort of low Lesser Nymph. Within 3rd edition they cast Entagle, Charm Person and Deep Slumber (a slightly improved Sleep spell, though still weaker than SR Sleep).

Heroes' Feast

PnP version cannot be cast during combat. Not a great spell imo.

Yeah, I know. But I've got some crazy idea:

- Heroes Feast automatically makes party Rest.

- During this Rest everyone eats this awesome food, which grants them various bonuses: protection from fear, poison, disease and Bless for whole day.

I think that'd be quite nice solution. :thumbsup:

It's too crazy for my tastes, but I kinda "strict" when it comes to these things, others may like it.

Hey, who calls a thread 'Priest Spells' and goes on about 'Druid Spells'? :D

Repel Insects

Even if Wisp and David will adjust AI in RR/SCS, imo it still wouldn't be of any real use.

Abjure

As long as it's a single target save-or-else against a limited selection of creatures, I see zero wrong about banishing/instakilling them.

Sticks to Snakes

I'd use snakes in one of Animal Summoning spells.

Animal Growth

With such effects it can't be 5th level, really. It's like a mass Tenser.

Heroes' Feast

Never liked it for it's name - during a battle you ought to be minding about battle, not filling up a belly :)

And if it can't be cast in hostile conditions, then it's use goes down too.

Adjusting to BG2 realities, imo partial rest is fine. Characters are cured of fatique (and get a positive bonus modifier as well), have 1 spell restored for 1-5th levels and get Cure Light Wounds cast on them.

Changestaff

As Demi says, it's yet another summon (albeit interesting one). If we do proceed with confining all three types of elementals in a single spell, then I'd consider adding a unique summon to 6th level, where druids have a lot less impressive repertoir here than on 7th.

Do we have a treant animation in BG2? Though I guess Infinity Animations will do for this.

Speaking of names, I know it's 100% cosmetic, but does it make sense to mention sticks when we can't actually use them as a spell component?

Call Woodland Beings

Fine with Dryads.

Cloak of Bravery (Charm): on-going aura of immunity to fear with fight bonuses

Prayer (Combat): better chant, stacking with chant

Spike Stones (Elemental Earth)

Spike Growth (Plant)

Word of Recall (Summoning): available only after Priest gets his Stronghold - non-combat teleportation to Stronghold

Obscurement (Weather): mist which limits sight range to 50% and grant penalties to ranged fight

Yes, especially for Prayer and Spike Growth.

(Greater) Magic Fang

It can either simply increase thaco/damage, or actually raise the enchantment. The latter ought to be doable, because thankfully there aren't too many animals out there. It may even be restricted to summons only, to make the life easier.

I think 1+1/6lvl is ok, because at 13th level it won't pass through Mantle yet, but may already hurt demons/iron golems (and those are strong enough to successfully fight back few +3 animals), and the cap is +4.

Thornwrack

(Alteration)

Sphere: Plant

Range: Touch

Components V, S

Duration: 1 thom/level of caster

Casting Tie: 8

Area of Effect: 1 person

Saving Throw: Neg.

Thornwrack causes long, painful thorns to

grow out of the spell recipient’s flesh, piercing

the skin from the inside. One thorn appears

each round, inflicting ld3 points of

damage, until all the thorns have appeared.

When the number of thorns exceeds the subject's

experience level or HD, a victim still

conscious becomes immobilized by the pain,

unable to take any action.

One round after the last thorn erupts from

the victim's flesh, the first one disappears.

The thorns continue receding at a rate of one

per turn. Immobilized subjects can move

again once the number of thorns falls below

their HD or experience level. For instance, say

the body of a 4th-level character has seven

thorns. After four turns had passed, only

three thorns would remain, so the victim

would no longer be immobile.

Cure spells can restore hit points but do not

eliminate the thorns. Dispel magic will end the

spell but prevents existing thorns from meting.

A heal spell cancels the thornwrack, eliminates

all existing thorns, and cures all damage.

Without the benefit of magical remedies,

the spell ends when the last thorn has re-

Ceded.

Well, 10d6 seems too much for a 3rd lvl spell with a "trap" feature and a secondary disabling effect (Lightning Bolt would pale in comparison imo). I probably wouldn't go for more than 10d4.

You're right.

The problem is that as a non-enchanted weapon it works even worse imo.

You're right again.

I'm just saying that there already are tons of fire based spells, and that if I had to add new druid spells I'd go with non-fire based ones (I've discussed new druid spells many times, for example here). Furthermore, wouldn't this spell belong to the same sphere of Fire Trap and Flame Blade in 2nd spell lvl slot?

Damn, you're right again. Then I'm just going to deprecate this spell. Baww for it's BAM - it was cute.

Mmm...it may be quite tricky. How do you handle the xp issue? You shouldn't get them as you're not killing those not summoned demons. What about quest related demons (e.g. Underdark Balor)? They should be immune to not "break the game" but that would instead break your concept of the spell. If you want the spell to affect "non summoned" extraplanars then you surely have to add a bunch of area checks like the ones you've mentioned.

Hm, I think altering spell's description a bit to make all "unique" in-game demons immune to it. Because banishing this Demon from Watcher's Keep would be also stupid. Ok then: certain creatures (those with unique names and those who are already in their spheres) are going to be immune to it. I think it's a good deal for 4th level spell.

I discussed this at least a couple of times and yes, I suggested to add Dryads for mid-low lvls and let the spell summon a Nymph only at 12th+ lvl. I'm not sure about putting here a treant because it doesn't fit the "spellcasting" theme.

Dryads need to be a mix of 2nd and 3rd edition to matter, because AD&D ones are simply useless as summon (they only had Charm Person). They should have 3 or 4HD and cast 1st and 2nd lvl spells, pratically a sort of low Lesser Nymph. Within 3rd edition they cast Entagle, Charm Person and Deep Slumber (a slightly improved Sleep spell, though still weaker than SR Sleep).

Yeah, in current SR's form it's quite bad to see 4th level spell which summons a creature which can cast 4th level spells. It's good that they cannot cast Call Woodland Beings because that'd be a loophole. Good to know that you're going to fix it.

It's too crazy for my tastes, but I kinda "strict" when it comes to these things, others may like it.

I think that when you're going to see it in action, you're going to like it. Especially you, as role-player. :)

Summary:

- Produce Flame and Repel Insects is deprecated

- Snare deals 1d4 damage per level and entangles creature for 1 Turn

- Abjure works only on non-unique extra-planar creatures.

- Heroe's Feast when casted in non-hostile enviroment, grants you a rest which heals all their wounds and lasts only 4 hours. After this rest for next 8 hours party is immune to fear, poison and disease. Also it grants them benefits of Bless spell.

Next package of spells is coming, but if someone wants to throw his three cents into discussion about those spells - sure!

Animal Growth

With such effects it can't be 5th level, really. It's like a mass Tenser.

I've thought that it's fine for one reason. Summoned animals don't have enchanted paws. And for sure enchanted for more than +1. That's why it makes them great tanks, still vulnerable to death spells so I'm not sure about it being so bad. Maybe it should work on let's say 1 animal for every 4/6 levels? Druid can cast 5th level spells at 9th level so he will enchant two creatures (one in case of 1 animal/6 levels), two at 13th, three at 17th and finally four at 21st. I think that'd be fine. Maybe these bonuses should be limited to +2? Doubling their hit points is I think most important effect.

As Demi says, it's yet another summon (albeit interesting one). If we do proceed with confining all three types of elementals in a single spell, then I'd consider adding a unique summon to 6th level, where druids have a lot less impressive repertoir here than on 7th.

Do we have a treant animation in BG2? Though I guess Infinity Animations will do for this.

Speaking of names, I know it's 100% cosmetic, but does it make sense to mention sticks when we can't actually use them as a spell component?

Well, I tried to stay close to PnP - but if this name is misleading sure, we should change it. I'm not sure about turning Summon Elemental spells into one spell, because of some priests who have access only to limited elemental spheres with example of Firewalker of Kossuth, who shouldn't be able to cast Summon Air Elemental. But maybe it'll work out.

Thornwrack

I'm currently talking only about spells from Player's Handbook. After that we start to have real fun with spells like Battlefate, Etheralness, Dimensional Anchor, Other Time or Whirlwind. (that's Druid's 6th level power-house spell).

Heroes' Feast

Never liked it for it's name - during a battle you ought to be minding about battle, not filling up a belly

And if it can't be cast in hostile conditions, then it's use goes down too.

Adjusting to BG2 realities, imo partial rest is fine. Characters are cured of fatique (and get a positive bonus modifier as well), have 1 spell restored for 1-5th levels and get Cure Light Wounds cast on them.

Currently it's shape is a bit closer to PnP and yet very strange. It's about creating great feast not available as item or two in your equipment. This spell allows you to gain benefits of resting in best inns even at dungeons, and also improves your rest by granting few additional effects: those immunities and bless. For whole day. When memorised, this spell will actually be always memorised and it needs to be memorised just one time - because it's used as alternative to normal Rest. I'd call it ultimate buff which lasts for whole day and allow you to spend your spell slots of lower levels on better things. Also remember that not every priest will get access to this spell.

New spells! I hope you'll like some of those. :)

Dispel Fatigue

Level: 1

School: Necromancy

Sphere: Necromantic

Duration: Instant

Casting Time: 4

Area of Effect: 1 creature

Saving Throw: None

This spell removes physical fatigue or exhaustion from the subject by undoing the physiological effects of his exertions. The subject is instantly restored to his normal, fully rested level of endurance or vigor. This spell can be used to negate the penalties of long journey but also states of winding up after Enrage, Haste or Restoration.

Chaos Ward

Level: 2

School: Abjuration

Sphere: Chaos

Duration: 2 rounds/level

Casting Time: 5

Area of Effect: 1 Creature

By using this spell, the priest can create a shimmering aura of whirling light that surrounds the chosen creature. This protective aura makes the spell recipient more difficult to hit in hand-to-hand combat by providing a +1 bonus to the subject’s Armor Class. Against missile attacks or spells, the chaos ward is even more effective since it provides a +2 bonus to Armor Class and a +2 bonus to all saving throws. Due to chaotic nature of this spell everytime recipient gets struck with spell or weapon there is 5% chance for reflecting it back at originator.

Obscurement

School: Alteration

Sphere: Weather

Range: Personal

Components: V, S

Duration: 4 rounds/level

Area of Effect: 60-ft. radius

This spell causes a misty vapor to arise around the caster. It persists in this locale for four rounds per caster level and reduces the visibility ranges of all types of vision (including infravision) to 50%. A strong wind (such as from the 3rd-level priest spell Gust of wind) can completely remove effects of Obscurement.

Watery Fist

Sphere: Elemental (Water)

Duration: 1 round/level

Area of Effect: Special

This spell transforms priest's hands into watery pseudopods similiar to those of water elemental's. Pseudopod attack has 20 range and deals 1D4 bludgeoning damage and 1D4 cold damage. Also, everytime pseudopod successfuly hits an enemy, he is slowed for next round (saving throw vs. breath negates.

Prayer

Level: 3

School: Conjuration

Sphere: Combat

Casting Time: 6

Area of Effect: 60-ft. radius

By means of the prayer spell, the priest brings special favor upon himself and his party and causes harm to his enemies. Those in the area at the instant the spell is completed are affected for the duration of the spell. When the spell is completed, all attack and damage rolls and saving throws made by those in the area of effect who are friendly to the priest gain +2 bonuses, while those of the priest's enemies suffer -2 penalties. Multiple Prayers aren't stackable but if the 2nd-level Chant spell was casted, Prayer effect is increased to -3 and +3.

Imbue With Spell Ability

Level: 4

School: Enchantment

Sphere: Charm

Duration: 8 hours

Casting Time: 1 round

By the use of this spell, the priest can transfer a limited number and selection of his currently memorized spells, and the ability to cast them, to another person. Higher level persons can receive more than one spell at the priest's option:

1st: One 1st-level spell

5th: Two 1st-level spells

10th or more: Two 1st or 2nd-level spells

The transferred spell's variable characteristics (range, duration, target, area of effect, etc.) function according to the level of the priest originally imbuing the spell.

A priest who casts imbue with spell ability upon another character loses the number of 1st- and 2nd-level spells he has imbued for the duration of spell.

Dimensional Anchor

Sphere: Guardian

Duration: 1 turn + 1 round/level

When a priest casts this spell, a green ray springs from his outstretched hand and unerringly strikes a creature within line of sight and the range of the spell, covering the subject with a shimmering emerald field that completely blocks bodily extradimensional travel. Forms of movement barred by the dimensional anchor include dimension door, teleportation field, etherealness, maze, imprisonment and similiar effects.

Othertime

Level: 5

Sphere: Time

Duration: Special

Casting Time: 7

Area of Effect: The caster

When a priest enters othertime, he steps into a different reality in which the world around him is frozen at a moment in the future. Until time catches up to him, he may move about unhindered and observe his surroundings; no force known can detect his presence or harm him in the alternate reality, although he in turn cannot affect any creature or object in the physical world. To his companions or enemy in real time, the priest appears to simply vanish altogether, only to reappear at some later point. For priest, duration of the spell is equal to 3 rounds, which he can spend on casting spells or using items but he cannot interact with the rest of world. He can cast Cure Light Wounds spell on himself, but cannot heal his ally's wounds or attack his enemy. After 3 rounds priest is back in normal reality and time starts to go on again.

Othertime

You still can target ground with hostile spells.

I've thought about making it as 3 round Timestop with undispellable Otiluke's Sphere on caster. I've always thought that under this spell you cannot do things like that.

Dispel Fatigue

I suspect nobody's gonna actually use it.

Maybe whole-party version which also protects against fatigue at level 4th or something? Well, I don't think that getting rid of Enrage's winding up or Haste's one is so crappy.

Obscurement

Those outside of the cloud can see inside with no penalty. Unless the entire area is covered.

Well, for ranged attacks there is a simple way: granting to all of people under cloud AC bonus vs. missles. What about making people under cloud also untargetable by spells? So wizard has to cast spell on ground, but cannot cast spell on person. Is this going to screw up AI much?

Obscurement

Improved Invisibility on all affected? Makes sense.

Othertime

Otiluke holds the target, so it can't do anything.

Dispel Fatigue

Maybe whole-party version which also protects against fatigue at level 4th or something? Well, I don't think that getting rid of Enrage's winding up or Haste's one is so crappy.
And you normally can't rage again until fatique wears off... :)
Otiluke holds the target, so it can't do anything.

Damn, I've always thought he just cannot interact with rest of world. He and his tiny ball. :3

And you normally can't rage again until fatique wears off...

I'm more afraid that this effect would be quite overpowered. Even haste without fatigue is quite... you know. :D

Improved Invisibility on all affected? Makes sense.

Well, we just need to refine it's concept. So:

- in mist every creature gains +1 bonus to AC and +4 AC bonus vs. missles

- in mist every creature becomes untargettable by spells

- in mist every creature has it's vision reduced by half

I'm thinking about moving this spell to 3rd level, it's quite potential against spellcasters. :)

New spells

Call Upon Faith

Level: 1

School: Invocation

Sphere: Summoning

Duration: 1 round

Casting Time: 1

Area of Effect: Caster

Before attempting a difficult task, the priest may cast call upon faith to aid his performance. If the priest has been true to his faith he gains a +3 (or +15%) bonus to every roll done in next round. The bonus affects saving throws, attack rolls, skill checks etc.

Hesitation

School: Enchantment

Range: Long

Casting Time: 2

Area of Effect: 1 Creature

Saving Throw: Negates

Creatures affected by this spell hesitate before executing their intended actions. This causes them to modify their Attack Speed factor by 4 and Spellcasting Time by 2 (saving throw vs. spells negates).

Accelerate Healing

Duration: 8 hours

This spell enables the affected creature to experience natural healing of 1 Hit Point/turn for next 8 hours.

Chaotic Combat

Sphere: Chaos

Casting Time: 3

When chaotic combat is cast on a creature, it is inspired beyond his years of training and is suddenly struck with numerous insights for variations on the standard moves of attack and defense. The spell affects only warriors.

Unfortunately, these insights are helpful in only three-fourths of the warrior's attacks. In the remaining attacks, the spell actually impairs the warrior's standard performance. At the beginning of each round there is 75% chance for target to gain +4 bonus to Attack Rolls, Damage Rolls and Armor Class but 25% chance for -2 penalties.

The insight imparted by this spell is lost after the spell expires. The insight is generated by chaos, which is nearly impossible to contain. After the spell expires, the warrior remembers the battle but not the specifics of his actions. He is unable to duplicate the maneuvers.

Slow Poison and Accelerate Healing spells

I've got an idea of how to make these spells work more similiar to original AD&D rules - but I'm not sure if it's possible to implement. As far as I know opcodes of 'Haste' and 'Slow' have this special features - slow opcode slows the rate of dealing damage by Poisons and Haste increases it. I think it also works for regeneration. Is there a possibility of preserving only this effect (and removing all penalties/bonuses to speed movement, attacks per round and stuff?). Slowed poison would for example allow to cast spells, faster Regeneration would be awesome when connected with for example Regeneration spell or Troll's natural regeneration. :)

Hesitation & Accelerate Healing - yes for these.

Slow Poison and Accelerate Healing spells
No, afaik. I've thought of similar thing some time ago, to make normal Haste to not double speed via opcode, so that only Imp Haste would double poison/regen effects. But unfortunately, adding/removing haste would interfere with target's state detection by AI.
Hesitation & Accelerate Healing - yes for these.

So you're fine with 1 Hit Point/Turn regeneration for this spell? In PnP it accelerated regeneration, but as you said that wouldn't work too good. Also, what's wrong with Chaotic Combat? I think it's mandatory because it represents Chaos sphere, but is there anything that could be fixed?

I've also tried to describe two new spells - those are HLAs:

Animal Horde

Level: Quest

Sphere: Animal, Summoning

Duration: 1 Turn

This potent spell summons a number of animals totaling 70HD to the priest. Summoned animals can be: 4HD Dire Wolves, 7HD Dire Leopards or 10HD Dire Bears. The summoned animals will aid the priest in any means of which they are capable, but they are not under priest strict control. They will enter battle, protect the priest and his companions but will not take any orders from their summoner. Summoned by this spell creatures are not affecting summoned creatures cap.

Revelation

Level: Quest

School: Divination

Sphere: Divination

Range: Special

Duration: 10 Turns

Casting Time: 6

The revelation spell grants the priest extraordinary divination powers. He gains the following abilities:

- The priest gains true seeing as per the 5th-level priest spell.

- The priest gains trap detection as per the 2nd-level priest spell.

- The priest gains foresight once per round as per the 3rd-level wizard spell.

Also during the time of this spell the priest can identify all magical items at-will thanks to divine lore.

Also, some unique spells for Speciality Priests:

Mace of Odo

Sphere: Combat

Duration: Special

Area of Effect: Caster

Saving Throw: Special

This spell enables a priest to create a magical mace in his or her hand. A mace of Odo is actually a mace-shaped construct of force. it is translucent, but glows bright white. All spells cast directly at the bearer of a mace of Odo are absorded harmessly by the mace; area-of-effect spells are not affected by the mace.

A mace of Odo strikes at a +5 bonus to attack rolls and does 3D6 points of damage to most creatures; it does 4D6 points of damage to undead creatures. Whenever a mace of Odo successfully strikes or four rounds after the round of its casting (whichever comes first) the mace vanishes instantly in a burst of white radiance.

Note: this spell is quite powerfull. I'm thinking about restricting casting spells during it's time. Also, I'm not sure about making it work till successfull strike - other touch-based spells don't have that.

Shield of Lathander

Level: 5

Shield of Lathander protects a single touched creature from all damage due to purely physical means on the round after it is touched. The protected being takes full normal damage from spells.

Greater Shield of Lathander

Level: 7

Shield of Lathander protects a single touched creature from all damage - whether magical or physical on the round after it is touched. The Greater Sheild also suspends the functioning of any mind-affecting spells such as Charm or Confusion spells.

Other changes:

- Animal Growth now works only on 1 Animal. It's still going to be a great tank - and 8 creatures like that with vanilla AI would be an overkill.

Archived