Is there a version that doesn't patch bgmain.exe?

ericp07

Hello,

I've just discovered that SCSII v19 won't install under Mac OS X (10.4.11), because it attempts to patch bgmain.exe during installation of the main component, and Macs can't handle that. Is there a work-around, or should I downgrade to a lower version? I've installed the mod in the past, but v19 won't go.

I'm almost at the end of my installs for my current BGII multimod installation, but I can't proceed till this is sorted out.

Thanks,

Eric

Hello,

I've just discovered that SCSII v19 won't install under Mac OS X (10.4.11), because it attempts to patch bgmain.exe during installation of the main component, and Macs can't handle that. Is there a work-around, or should I downgrade to a lower version? I've installed the mod in the past, but v19 won't go.

I'm almost at the end of my installs for my current BGII multimod installation, but I can't proceed till this is sorted out.

Thanks,

Eric

You can disable them by editing scsii.ini (the readme explains how)

I am no expert but there is a documented option to turn off TobEx and the application of Taimons hacks by changing a couple of parameters in the scsii.ini file (which I have been exploring for other reasons). There will be some minor gameplay implications.

Disable_ToBEx - set this to one to disable ToB Extender. (If you don't know what this means, don't do it.)

Disable_Hacks_If_ToBEx_Skipped - set this to one to prevent Taimon's hacks being used as a backup if ToBEx is disabled. (If you don't know what this means, don't do it.)

I think that would do the trick.

Edit: Ah, there you go. DavidW posted while I was musing.

Well, tobex.ini does not exist in the extracted v19 archive *sigh* Still poking around, but not sure how to proceed.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Eric

...and then he read the docs :) scsii.ini is the file I need to edit. Doing that now :cool:

- E

I had to add the line "Disable_Hacks_If_ToBEx_Skipped 1" to scsii.ini, as it was not present. Installing mod with weidu-mac after Z#Misc and before BG2 Tweaks.

- E

It isn't supposed to be present (it's off by default.)

I had to add the line "Disable_Hacks_If_ToBEx_Skipped 1" to scsii.ini, as it was not present. Installing mod with weidu-mac after Z#Misc and before BG2 Tweaks.

- E

It isn't supposed to be present (it's off by default.)

Would be nice if that was reflected in the docs, but no biggie :cool:

- E

Improved Bodhi fails to install with the following errors:

[scsii/bodhi/ssl_out/bodhi2.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 15 column 1-33
Near Text: )
	[ApplySpellRES] not found in ACTION.IDS

[scsii/bodhi/ssl_out/bodhi2.baf]  ERROR at line 15 column 1-33
	Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: parsing [scsii/bodhi/ssl_out/bodhi2.baf]: Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: error compiling [scsii/bodhi/ssl_out/bodhi2.baf]: Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: compiling [scsii/bodhi/ssl_out/bodhi2.baf]!
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing ["Toned-down" version of the original Tactics Improved Bodhi, with SCSII scripting], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall  14 files for [Setup-scsii.tp2] component 7070.
Uninstalled	 14 files for [Setup-scsii.tp2] component 7070.
ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error

This is because, at some point during the install of SCSII, Action.ids is removed from the override folder! Very, very bad, apparently. How are components supposed to check in that file if it doesn't exist? Please help!

Thanks,

Eric

Same issue in the Tactical Challenges section with Improved Sahuagin, Slightly Improved Drow, Improved Irenicus in Hell, Improved Fire Giant Temple, and Enhanced Sendai's Enclave, and Improved Minor Encounters.

Something must have changed between the last version of this mod I used and v19, because all these components used to install successfully.

Inside the backup_BGII - SoA folder in the SCSII mod folder, the subfolders that do not contain ACTION.IDS are:

I'm guessing the game can't be played without Action.ids in the override folder, so this looks like a game-breaker to me...not to mention that some other mods will probably fail to install without the file present.

Please advise!

Thanks,

Eric

Since the mod installs fine (and therefore, I assume, doesn't delete action.ids) on my install, I assume this is some consequence of something else in your install pile. (If you can reproduce the bug on a clean (SCSII-only) install, let me know.)

Since the mod installs fine (and therefore, I assume, doesn't delete action.ids) on my install, I assume this is some consequence of something else in your install pile. (If you can reproduce the bug on a clean (SCSII-only) install, let me know.)

After installing every mod in my list, I checked override for the presence of the file. It was there after every install, but it is no longer there after installing most of the SCSII components I want.

I have another HD with BGII on it; I'll restore that to a clean install + BGII Fixpack, and then install SCSII the same way, and see what happens.

At least that gives me something to do :cool:

Thanks,

Eric

Confirmed: SCSII somehow removes ACTION.IDS from the override folder. I do have a folder, override-orig, in which the file does exist.

Here's the error I got, so this might be a clue to where the issue originates:

[tb#compile_patches/scsii/workspace/SPWI805.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 15 column 1-54
	[ReallyForceSpellRES] not found in ACTION.IDS
ERROR: parsing [tb#compile_patches/scsii/workspace/SPWI805.baf]: Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: error compiling [tb#compile_patches/scsii/workspace/SPWI805.baf]: Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: compiling [scsii/workspace/SPWI805.baf]!
ERROR: [scsii/spell/antimagic.2da] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Parsing.Parse_error)

ERROR Installing [Antimagic spells remain single-target, but affect the target creature whether or not it is invisible (default option)], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall   8 files for [Setup-scsii.tp2] component 2019.
Uninstalled	  8 files for [Setup-scsii.tp2] component 2019.
ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error

What is the next step?

Thanks,

Eric

What is the next step?

Thanks,

Eric

No idea, sorry, because it doesn't happen on my system. Ask someone who knows Macs, maybe? Or persuade someone with a spare chunk of time and a Windows system to do a full install with those scsii.ini modifications - I guess it's theoretically possible they're doing something, but I'm not currently in a position to check.

Archived