Bugs involving "Cast Spell:146"

polytope

Hello

I've noticed some problems with spells that cast a secondary spell via 146 opcode - offhand I know of Holy Smite, Chromatic Orb and Flame Arrow.

The first is that most are set to "cast instantly" which results in minimum casting level for effects (i.e. only 5d4 damage for Holy Smite).

The second is that if the secondary spell is cast upon impact of the projectile this will overide the mage's actions for that round to auto cast this secondary spell - which can interrupt casting i.e. if many spells are shot under improved alarcity.

Not related to the first bug, but symbol spells need their area effect flagged as "Large, Round" as listed in NI to properly display the symbol VVC.

I've noticed some problems with spells that cast a secondary spell via 146 opcode - offhand I know of Holy Smite, Chromatic Orb and Flame Arrow.

The first is that most are set to "cast instantly" which results in minimum casting level for effects (i.e. only 5d4 damage for Holy Smite).

Oh my...I'm going to look into it right away.

Quick notes: neiher Flame Arrow nor Chromatic Orb's secondary effects are affected by this (CO's dmg can).

The second is that if the secondary spell is cast upon impact of the projectile this will overide the mage's actions for that round to auto cast this secondary spell - which can interrupt casting i.e. if many spells are shot under improved alarcity.
;) I'll look into it.

Not related to the first bug, but symbol spells need their area effect flagged as "Large, Round" as listed in NI to properly display the symbol VVC.
I never noticed any problem dispalying the VVC but it's uber easy to test and fix compared to the above things.

Thanks.

Are those things reported actually happening in game? I ask, because the "cast instantly" setting does so at caster's level - not at zero, as some resources say, - and it doesn't override the action queue, which is relevant with "normal casting".

Are those things reported actually happening in game? I ask, because the "cast instantly" setting does so at caster's level - not at zero, as some resources say,

I'd tested it with the items that cast spells and the spell holy smite. I see now that this is relevant for the items (they definitely cast at min levels), but not for the spells cast from memory - I apparently just had really bad luck with the dice rolls for holy smite.

- and it doesn't override the action queue, which is relevant with "normal casting".

You're right, the interruption bug is only a problem for any spell to "cast normally" and using a projectile to trigger the secondary spell. Sorry about that, it looks like the symbol spell visual is the only genuine bug which I didn't create myself. ;)

Archived