Four man party suggestions

Alternator

I've always run with six person parties, so this time around I'm going to drop that to four and crank up the difficulty through various AI tweaks and the like.

Only problem is, I don't really have much of a party in mind. I know that I'm going to use Imoen throughout (and Shadowkeeper in her stats as needed), but the other two slots I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm thinking possibly Viconia and an archer, using the various stat boosting items to turn Viconia into a decent melee combatant, but I've had some negative feedback on that on other forums.

I'm open to (and somewhat eager to try) a mod character for one of the two open spots. Very strongly leaning toward a Fighter/Mage multiclass for my PC, focused on chopping things into tiny little pieces. Anybody have a suggestion, or a favorite mod to be sure to include?

Anybody have a suggestion, or a favorite mod to be sure to include?
Pick the classes, then pick which ever vanilla NPC(and a lot of mod NPCs in the list) you wish and alter their class with Level1NPC mod. Easy.

Ajantis the Abjurer, Kagain the Bard and Xan the Berserker.

Nope, not really, just kidding. But the though essence is there.

Ah, grasshopper, you will learn that you can breeze trough the game with any party you want ;) I will share some ideas anyway...

If you're going for evil party I'd suggest classic Viconia, Edwin, Korgan, your char can be anything, as these 3 can beat the game on their own :p

you don't realy need a thief in BG2 and TOB, all traps can be absorbed by mirror images or other means.

I've had very good experience with Viconia in melee, with Crom Faeyr and plentiful cleric combat buffs she has a good thac0, good dmg and can easily reach 100% magic resistance with e.g. human skin armor (which looks like it's tailored for her) so you can nuke her position with all the spells you like.

If you don't really like korgan you can replace him with haerdalis (sp?) he can be deadly with the right buffs, but he is just a different version of Fighter/Mage. There is Valen mod (evil thief/fighter IIRC), but she's overpowered IMO. You can try tashia (sp?) mod, she is a sorcerer, I've heard it's quite good mod, I'm going to try it in my next playtrough.

If you are up for the challenge you should try Solaufein mod (F/M again) mod it offers few quite hard battles (they are all optional).

For good party there is Ajantis mod (heard it's good, did not try, I'm new to character mods) he is a palladin. So for evil party my suggestions:

PC

Edwin

Korgan/Solaufein/Valen

Viconia

for good party:

PC (some kind of cleric I guess? ranger/cleric?)

Ajantis/Solaufein

Tashia/Solaufein

Imoen

As you can see these are all spell-heavy parties, but if you are going to crank up the difficulty melee-heavy party could be a disaster. In both parties it you go for F/M or R/C 3 out of 4 characters will be able to melee anyway.

Ah, grasshopper
My a$$.

If you're going for evil party I'd suggest classic Viconia, Edwin, Korgan, your char can be anything, as these 3 can beat the game on their own ;)
That's not the truth in BG1(Tutu), as you need the thief for the traps, the locks and scouting. Especially bad is Edwin, as he has no Fireballs... as you have the summon limit(5) in BG2 engine etc.

But you are right about the party roles, one needs to have a Divine caster, an Arcane caster, a Warrior and a Thief, the classic AD&D party. Well, the warrior isn't exactly must, but the game is HARD without one.

That's Viconia, Edwin, Korgan/Kagain and Imoen, as an evil party... with the Player Character replacing one of those. Like said, Kagain would do well to replace Korgan in the above combo, but it also needs a thief, it can be a dual or multi, but a thief either way.

Well, one option is to go with a Cleric/Mage, a Fighter/Thief, a Thief/Mage and a Ranger/Cleric, but the XP requirements will start to pick you apart.

That's not the truth in BG1(Tutu), as you need the thief for the traps, the locks and scouting. Especially bad is Edwin, as he has no Fireballs... as you have the summon limit(5) in BG2 engine etc.

But you are right about the party roles, one needs to have a Divine caster, an Arcane caster, a Warrior and a Thief, the classic AD&D party. Well, the warrior isn't exactly must, but the game is HARD without one.

That's Viconia, Edwin, Korgan/Kagain and Imoen, as an evil party... with the Player Character replacing one of those. Like said, Kagain would do well to replace Korgan in the above combo, but it also needs a thief, it can be a dual or multi, but a thief either way.

Well, one option is to go with a Cleric/Mage, a Fighter/Thief, a Thief/Mage and a Ranger/Cleric, but the XP requirements will start to pick you apart.

A Fighter/Mage multiclass Charname replaces the melee tough quite nicely, good mix of brawn and spells to back it up. Since I intend to use Imoen, I'll have my thief base covered in BG1, and still hit up the highly useful thief stuff in BG2 while having my mage.

Viconia is tempting both because I like the character, and she's available in both games. With the right items, she's a good secondary melee in BG2, as well, which isn't completely vital but is pretty nice to have. Whether I use her or another Cleric (are there any BG2 mod clerics worth a damn?), that leaves me looking for either a warrior or a mage for BG1 (with Charname filling the other), and a generally useful filler for BG2.

Anybody tried the Kivan BG2 mod? That'd let me use the same four person party throughout, which holds some appeal.

Anybody tried the Kivan BG2 mod? That'd let me use the same four person party throughout, which holds some appeal.

Kivan is nasty. Any archer in BG2 willl turn into "Death from afar". A nice support person. Though probably better in a 6 person party than a foursome. He is weak(er) in melee.

Kivan is nasty. Any archer in BG2 willl turn into "Death from afar". A nice support person. Though probably better in a 6 person party than a foursome. He is weak(er) in melee.

I'm playing through with Sarah right now. She eats mages who prebuff with Stoneskin, Improved Invisibility, and double Fireshield alive. She'll be getting a fast Improved Haste in my major fights once I have the spell available.

Archived