some BG1 errors

mark

I found a 12 year old BG1 savegame on a dusty backup cd and was able to load it with gemrb-v0.6.5-git from today :)

I toyed around with the old savegame which was made directly after completing the last quest from BG1 (german 5CD version, before ToSC came out) and found some bugs (or things I am not sure about if they really are bugs) using the english 3CD version:

1. Boots of speed don't work, at least the character equipped with them isn't faster than the others
  2. My wizard Xan (lvl 8) has so many memorized lvl1 spells (20), that they don't fit on the left side of the spellbook (only place for 12) and if I remove a spell from there and add another one, sleep 8 hours, then he cannot use this spell. I have to remove all memorized spells until the last box on the left side gets cleared out, insert a new spell there and sleep, to be able to cast it.
  3. My bard Garrick (lvl 8) has memorized some wizard spells like magic missile, but cannot cast them (I don't know the D&D rules, but I guess this should be possible as BG1 seems to have allowed to memorize/cast those spells)
  4. The timing is weird, because the party is bored every 5 seconds or so
  5. My paladin has the ability to learn some priest spells, but the list of known spells is empty (same thing with bard and wizard, but they are not allowed to cast such spells and the book is grey anyway)
  6. Starting gemrb, loading the savegame and closing gemrb produces the following errors:
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for projectl.ids...[ERROR]
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for gender.2da...[ERROR]
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for WMAPLAY.2da...[NOT FOUND]
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for wildmag.2da...[ERROR]
    [Core]: Reading special spells table...[NOT FOUND]
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for itemdial.2da...[ERROR]
    [GameScript]: Couldn't assign function to trigger: 85 reset							   
    [GameScript]: Couldn't assign function to trigger: 84 detected							
    [GameScript]: Couldn't assign function to trigger: 7 said 
    [GameScript]: bashdoor(o:object) overrides existing action 148 bashdoor				   
    [GameScript]: interact(o:object*) overrides existing action 168 interact				  
    [GameScript]: Couldn't assign function to action: 183 multiplayersync					 
    [GameScript]: Couldn't assign function to action: 94 groupattack						  
    [GameScript]: Couldn't assign function to action: 81 nidspecial12						 
    [GameScript]: Couldn't assign function to action: 80 nidspecial11						 
    [GameScript]: Couldn't assign function to action: 79 nidspecial10						 
    [GameScript]: Couldn't assign function to action: 77 nidspecial8						  
    [GameScript]: Couldn't assign function to action: 37 followpath						   
    [GameScript]: Couldn't assign function to action: 20 layhands 
    [GameScript]: instant action 1 (actionoverride(o:actor*,a:action*)) doesn't exist, ignoring	 
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for baldur.bcs...[ERROR] 
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for restmov.2da...[ERROR]									
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for xpbonus.2da...[ERROR] 
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for qslot2.2da...[ERROR]
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for itemanim.2da...[ERROR]
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for featreq.2da...[ERROR]
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for wstwowpn.2da...[ERROR]								   
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for wstwohnd.2da...[ERROR]								   
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for wsshield.2da...[ERROR]
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for monkbon.2da...[ERROR]									
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for lvlmodwm.2da...[ERROR] 
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for skillsta.2da...[ERROR]
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for randcolr.2da...[ERROR]
    [TLKImporter]: Not a valid TOT file.													  
    [TlkImporter]: Cannot open tlk override! 
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for worldm25.wmp...[NOT FOUND]
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for spawngrp.2da...[ERROR]								   
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for tracking.2da...[ERROR]
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for �!l��.wav...[NOT FOUND]								  
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for .dlg...[NOT FOUND]									   
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for ��p.wav...[NOT FOUND] 
    [ResourceManager]: Searching for mtowubz.bcs...[ERROR]

Unrelated to the old savegame:

1. The game is unpaused if I take a look at my inventory
  2. If I create a new game and talk to Fuller in the barracks, the dialog for Hull's sword is available without having talked to Hull yet.

1. You sure you don't have a ring of freedom of movement or other impediments equipped?

2. I think we don't handle the intelligence limit to memorised spells.

3. Details?

4. Yeah, this is very recent code. I guess some other condition should also be checked or maybe it was just read wrong (rounds vs turns).

5. Maybe the original applies the class/kit on load too?! Anyway, it will be fixed on the next level up.

6. Irrelevant.

1. This is the same as in the original.

2. Would need to check the dialogs if there's an actual bug there.

mine is set to 3000, which should translate to 200s. Why do we further split it into chunks? Trying it again, it took ages for them to go idle, but then they started complaining almost every round.

I found that a constitution bonus does not effect to HP during level up. Error found in latest Android version(pre-0.6.5). My mage with a 18 constitution points gets maximum 4 HP with level up, must be 6. Previous versions does not contains this bug.

I tried to reproduce everything with BG1 1.1.4315 in VirtualBox:

1. You sure you don't have a ring of freedom of movement or other impediments equipped?

In gemrb I removed everything from the character except the boots and they don't increase his speed. In the original game the char has increased speed (with his full equipment even).

3. Details?

I'm sorry, I did not see that the character wears metal armor. Everything works as it should: The bard can cast wizard spells without heavy armor.

5. Maybe the original applies the class/kit on load too?! Anyway, it will be fixed on the next level up.

The character is not allowed to cast any priest spells in the original game, only the two empty memory slots in gemrb suggest such a thing. (And maybe my memory, could it be that BG2 allows priest spells for highlevel paladins?)

1. This is the same as in the original.

Yes you are right. Maybe PST or BG2 or whatever behaves this way and I suspected that from BG1 too. (It would be nice to browse the inventory while the game is paused though :))

2. Would need to check the dialogs if there's an actual bug there.

I created a new game in the original game and the answers to the dialogue "Ugh, what a mead-filled night. [...]" are initially:

"1. Nothing really. I was just nosing about.

"2. I was just wandering if you had any errands I could run."

and in gemrb they are the same but with

"1. Yeah, the mead would explain why Hull forgot to put his sword on [...]"

on top

There is a new difference between gemrb and the original BG1, that I found:

If you create a new fighter in gemrb you can assign 4 points to a single weapon. The original BG1 only allows you to assign 2 points to a single weapon for a new fighter.

some more:

1. Having Branwen in the party and healing her with the spell of cure light wounds causes her to attack the healer.
  2. Switching a shield with another one adds their armor-boni as long as the switched shield isn't dropped
  3. The ambush-map is being reused and all items/corpses from fights before are still around. Further: enemies here cannot be targeted with the mousecursor
  4. Often it is not possible anymore, to scroll far enough with the arrowkeys to the border of the map to change the mousecursor for leaving the map

some more:

1. Having Branwen in the party and healing her with the spell of cure light wounds causes her to attack the healer.

this applies to all characters that use a script and other non-attack spells also.

I found more:

All charactersounds are played, even when they are disabled and the characters always talk simultaneously (and they even talk when they are dead).

Setting off a trap in the Nashkell mines causes gemrb to crash with a segfault

ugh, this is unmanageable. Please make a new thread for each problem, use the bug tracker on our sourceforge project page or add it to our wiki bug list.

can you get that Hull line in the original at all? Judging from the file, it should never be available (or always as in our case).

paladins get some cleric spells at later levels, but it also depends on their wisdom. So if the original disallows this, the char is clearly not meeting those prereqs. Cosmetic issue. Same for the other 2..

The proficiency thing is trivial to fix, I'll go do it now.

Please post a save before that crash.

Archived