Baldur's Gate woes (BG2+Tutu)

Guest Layman

Hi,

I am running a ASUS GTS 450 with relatively up to date drivers with a 23" screen with native resolution of 1920x1080. However, although this resolution works fine on the widescreen-mod, I would like the characters to be bigger, so I tried to experiment with different resolutions. I did some research and someone said that 960x600 is the best compromise. The problem is that if I change it to that, or any other (with the exception of 800x600 and 1024x720) the game immediately crashes to desktop, although no errorscreen is given. Any help would be appreciated.

Another problem I have is with Tutu, and I have yet to find a viable solution for this as well. I have perused the forums, but found nothing, so forgive me if this is has already been asked but my Tutu startingscreen looks like someone chopped it into pieces and just let the pieces lie where they fall, with strips of the image all over the place. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

The 960x600 is doesn't have the same screen ration as 1920x1080... use the 960x540 or 1280x720 if you want one, and if your screen can be set to them from the Control Panels Display controls in the Windows. And make sure to use the v3.02(packaged in "widescreen-v3.05.exe")

As in there, the actual limits are for BGII&ToB game:

Enter your X coordinate. It should be a number, >= 640 (but not 641).

User answer: "960"

[./override/ar6111.are] loaded, 2776 bytes

[./override/ar6111.are] loaded, 2776 bytes

Enter your Y coordinate. It should be a number, >= 482.

User answer: "540"

Another problem I have is with Tutu, and I have yet to find a viable solution for this as well. I have perused the forums, but found nothing, so forgive me if this is has already been asked but my Tutu startingscreen looks like someone chopped it into pieces and just let the pieces lie where they fall, with strips of the image all over the place. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.
You installed the Widescreen mod before you installed either the Tutu or the Tutu GUI... you need to avoid doing that, as this is well known issue with the GUI mods. So a reinstall is needed...

Ok well, this marks my third re-install of the whole shebang (bg+bg2+tutu) and I would like to prevent further screw-ups by my part. Can you please give me the order of installation of the mods for the whole thing ( or at least tell me where I can find it), because I really can't take anymore...

I normally patch the ToB and TotSC then I don't know the order of what to install, but I am trying to get these in:

for Tutu:

Degreenifier

tutufix

tutugui

widescreen

For BG2:

Tactics

Widescreen

I am really at the end of my rope here, so once again, any help is appreciated.

As far as I know, you can't go wrong if you install Widescreen last. For sure, you need to install it after TutuGUI or any mod that is changing the GUI.

As for TutuGUI, you need to install the latest version (1.8, I think), otherwise there will be an issue. For details and link to the Pocket Plane Group website, you can read this.

Nope, no dice. I intalled it in that order, being careful to install the widescreen mod last and then I ended up with a flawless bg2, but my tutu, well there is a constant flickering and my cursor seems to leave flickering imprints wherever it goes until I cover the screen with them., I REALLY do not want to do ANOTHER install, so can someone tell me how to fix this? please? anything?

I suggest you read this topic. It covers several ways to get rid of such graphic issues with the games using modern graphic cards. It used to be specific to nVidia drivers and appeared with GeForce 8x00 boards, hence the name of the topic. Newer nVidia had this problem too (probably because the problem in in the drivers, which are common). But it seems other brands or model may have similar problems.

I actually got it working... well sort of. I used the advice of using the 3.02 version of the WSM, and also discovered something puzzling. It seems that this flickering problem of mine is solved when I turn 3D acceleration, and all that jazz described in the article that was linked here, OFF! Not ON as the article described. While in the game there was a little issue of jagged fog of war, but I sorted that out by using 16 bit color depth and ticking some boxes.

The only problem is, with 3D acceleration off, the spells look really crappy, so any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Archived