To install or not to install?

Nilfalasiel

I've recently finished my first run through BG2, and I was considering adding Solaufein to the NPC mix the next time I play. He seemed like an interesting character, and there are precious few possibilities to interact with drow other than killing them or getting bossed around by their women, so I'd appreciate seeing how the author interpreted him. I know he's not a "local" product, but I've seen people mentioning trying him out.

My concerns are twofold:

1) I'm not sure whether I can simply add the mod or not, considering there's usually an order of install. I seem to have gathered that installing NPCs wasn't quite as order-reliant as combat-altering mods and such, but since I know next to nothing about modding, I'd rather ask. My current BG2 mod lineup includes the tweak pack, the fixpack, UB, Kivan, Coran, Xan, Lv1 NPCs and widescreen. Would I need to reinstall any of that?

2) I've heard that the mod adds some very difficult encounters. Now, I'm far from being an expert on BG combat, so just how difficult are we talking here? I know it's probably not easy to assess, but if they're really mind-breakingly hard, I may not bother installing.

I'm also wondering how well he blends in with the rest of the cast, but that's probably something I'll have to find out on my own if I do install the mod, given how subjective opinions about NPCs can be.

It shouldn't conflict with anything you've already installed, so you may simply add it.

The encounters are indeed very difficult but worth to try because they are so well made. And the last one, which is incredibly hard, is optional. I'm no combat expert either and had a real hard time with the first ones, but they are doable, with some patience. Patience is also required for the dialogue this mod adds - it's a lot to read through but you might like it.

It's a high quality mod, imo, so go ahead and try it out would be my advice!

I would peel back (uninstall) everything from the last mod installed back to just after the last NPC already installed, then install Solaufein, then re-install everything after the NPCs, to be on the safe side. You can always toss the mod onto the top of the pile, but if you do, any mods that further alter NPC content won't apply to Solaufein, if I understand correctly.

Whatever way works, I highly recommend the mod! :cool:

Happy gaming,

Eric

I would peel back (uninstall) everything from the last mod installed back to just after the last NPC already installed, then install Solaufein, then re-install everything after the NPCs, to be on the safe side.

I guess that makes sense, I'll do that then.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll give the mod a go!

Archived