2nd vs 3rd ed version of spells

onerous

This would foil AI checks for spell immunity.

I don't see the problem with those spells being evocations, evocation creates either matter or energy, conjuration brings pre-existing objects from somewhere else.

Either way, the inability to recognize which type of spell immunity will block them is the main issue.

Would you consider converting some spells from AD&D to their 3rd edition counterparts? Unfortunately the only ones I can think of are web (conjuration) and cloudkill (conjuration).
Yeah, this is planned for V4.

Do the AI really uses SI as a counter to those spells? Afaik SCS uses (M)GoI+AoE spells (e.g. I remember Yuan-ti mages using MGoI+Web), but I never saw a mage cast SI:Evo as a reaction to me casting a Web or cloud spell.
Do the AI really uses SI as a counter to those spells? Afaik SCS uses (M)GoI+AoE spells (e.g. I remember Yuan-ti mages using MGoI+Web), but I never saw a mage cast SI:Evo as a reaction to me casting a Web or cloud spell.

I don't believe they use it as a counter, but most mages will check for SI:Evocation (rather than conjuration) before casting Web etc.

If a fireball is an evocation, why not a cloudkill/SC? It's still a ball of gas, just poisonous rather than combusting.

If a fireball is an evocation, why not a cloudkill/SC? It's still a ball of gas, just poisonous rather than combusting.

I would say the fire in fireball is energy and evocation spells excel at tapping in and harnessing energy and power sources where as cloudkill is poison... not really energy to be manipulated. I consider it more a conjuration (creating something) similar to spells like grease and 3rd edition web.

Good to know these are planned. :)

Archived