Problems

Jinnai

Since i've gotten my new computer i've been unable to run BG2 (and therefore BGtutu) with any amount of speed worthy of even trying. I've tried everything i know of, disabling all background programs i can, turning off all extra functions (including setting all the load specs of BG2 to below minimum specs even though in far exceed them), uninstalling SP2, etc.

I'm not using a nvida or soundblaster so i don't know what the problem is. They are both onboard ones.

Anyway this means i'm unsure how i will be able to do the interjections as although i can go to duddlyville and see which npcs are in a given area i cannot know what they say nor do i know which files are connected to which npc.

If anyone has any suggestions to help me run bg2 as bg1 runs perfectly fine (and i can't see to much reason why as bg2 is based on bg1 engine) please let me know.

Jinnai, try asking on PPG about your TUTU install.

As far as the interjections go, if your BG1 runs well, you can simply play BG1 and record places for Imoen to interject, character's name with whom she interjects, his approximate line and the lines you want her to say. If you can pin the BG1 vanilla DLG file name, or name of the character I will have no problems to find TUTU analogue of it. TUTU does not change the game, just the environment.

PPG?

Anyway do you know if blutcher still has that uber sword mod of his? The one where it basically made your party invincible? if i'm gonna run it with bg1 i'd like to use that, though i'd prefer that bg2 worked so i can play the stuff i make.

Jinnai

I am guessing since you stated, new computer, that you have XP. Check out the site below on how to cut off unnecessary running programs in XP. See if that helps. XP has a lot of stuff running by default, that is not necessary, especially for gaming. There is also a complete file you can download - XP Services, IIRC, is the name of the file.

http://www.blackviper.com/

PPG - Pocket Plane Group - BGTuTu/fixpack forums

http://forums.pocketplane.net/

Other things to check - Especially if you have a constant internet connection:

Get AdAware and/or Spybot and make sure you have no adware or spyware on your system.

Make sure Windows, Window Media Player, Internet Explorer -(any web browser), or any other progam on your system is not automatically, (ie: by default), checking for updates, many do. If you have multiple programs doing this, it can also slow you down.

You may find you need to disconnect your internet connection, so you can turn off the Anti-Virus program and any other internet related software. Norton can slow down things drastically, in some cases. At least, that is what I found when I had DSL service. It was actually slower than dial-up, in the navigating. And I could not run any game that was graphically intensive, to any degree, with Norton and the internet software running.

Also, make sure you have the latest drivers for your sound card, graphics card and the latest version of Direct X.

If you need specifics on any of this, just let me know and I'll PM it to you.

Hope that helps.

TTYL

Bren

Good news and bad news...

Good: i got it to run better

Bad: it now runs upside down in full screen mode. i don't have the resources to run it in windowed mode either, so it doesn't do me much good if it runs smoothly but upsidedown!

Upside down?! That's a first for me. Are you sure your system is not infected or hasn't been hacked? Make darn sure one of these is not the culprit first. No game should run upside down. Have you noticed anything else not working properly, or doing strange things?

If not, try uninstalling and reinstalling your graphics drivers. Make sure you follow manuf. instructions. Some require you do this in safe mode.

If you are loosing resources, you could have a program that is a resource hog. Or one with a memory leak. Either way, the resources do not return after the program is closed. The only way to get resources back is restart. And if this same program starts with Windows, the resources will drop again.

TTYL

Bren

Jinnai

I wish I could tell you what would fix it, but this is one I have not come across before. My only "guess" would be that there may be a conflict with your sound card, graphics card, some other software, driver, etc. You can check to see if there are any related known issues with the specific sound card and/or graphics card that you have on your system. Should be in the readme files or at the manuf. website. It it possible that BG2 will not be compatible on that system the way it is configured. My old machine will not run either BG1or2 - with a NVidia graphics card and Soundblaster Sound Card. If you have not tried yet, you can try running it in one of the compatibility modes. You could also try reverting back to an older version of your sound and/or graphics card drivers and see if there is an improvement. Or go back to last version of DirectX you did not give you problems. (Note: Only do these if you are having problems with the latest releases.) If it is due to a software conflict somewhere, finding it can be a tedious process, to say the least. And, if available, the manuf. tech support will not walk you through doing this process.

If I were you, I would uninstall/reinstall Windows, to make sure Windows files are not corrupted due to all the uninstalling you had to do earlier. One thing if you do a reformat/reinstall or a uninstall/reinstall, make sure you are "not" connected to the internet during the process. After you have Windows installed, install the game, patches, etc. from a backup disk. (Yes, prepare this ahead of time) and do not install your internet software, if you have it, do not install anything else that is not needed for the game to run. And "do not" connect to the internet before you check to see if the game runs correctly. This could narrow down the cause for you. If the game runs correctly with only the base Windows install, the problem, most likely, is related to an additional piece of software you are adding. (ie: Anti-virus files, Win Update files, other programs/drivers etc.) To narrow it down from there, you have to install one and try the game. Repeat this until you find the culprit. If the game does not run correctly with just the base install of Windows. More than likely, there is a conflict with the system itself. Most common is the graphics card and/or the sound card. After doing all this, then you can install your anti-virus software before reconnecting to the internet.

Also, if you do an complete reformat or uninstall/reinstall, be careful of the Windows Updates once you reconnect. The XP Service Pack was corrupted for a while, and don't know if they fixed it or not. They haven't fixed the Java update for Win98SE. (My old sys, and for those with Win98SE) Norton grabs that every time I have tried to download it, saying it is infected. But, a short time ago I kept having to reformat/reinstall my mother's and my brother's computers, because one would not boot after installing Windows Updates. And the other had very strange things happening. One thing was, for no reason, it would cut off or restart randomly. Finally, convinced them to carry the machines to the local computer repairman, to confirm a component was not going bad. He said the Service Pack was corrupted and he contacted Microsoft weeks prior to that. Also stating, many others had brought computers into him for similar reasons. He installed the SP from a disk, and problem solved. I have had to reformat/reinstall on both of their machines again since then. One got hacked and the other got a virus, so they uninstalled/reinstalled Windows. When they downloaded the Service Pack from Windows Update, it was still corrupted. I tell you all this to let you know, if you find it is not related to your system setup/components, Windows Update could be the cause. It would not be the first time.

TTYL

Bren

Archived