Some Experiments

The Fred

So I decided to try GemRB out again because I wanted to have a go with the Sorcerer/Monk multiclass. Well, first things first I should say I tried to set it up to run on TuTu, which was a bit of a hassle. I tried to make separate GUI and override folders for it but it didn't like that, so I just told it the game version was BG2, but pointed it to a TuTu install. When I did this it gave me BG2 starting XP and the BG2 starting screen for intro chapter text (no text showed up) but it worked better than setting the game type to BG1 (I got the intro screen, but a bunch of other things didn't work). Well, I gather TuTu isn't supported yet and hopefully it won't be necessary before too long since GemRB should be able to mix games itself so never mind about that.

OK so on to the Sorc/Monk. I'm running Windows 7 and I didn't get very far at first following the instructions on the wiki thingy, but I ran the Python stuff from Cygwin through a bash script, to extend GemRB's 2das, and the WeiDU mod in the install folder, but I couldn't get the other bit to work so I had the mod make a random dummy item with the required strings and hand-copied their values using Near Infinity.

I works great! However, I had a couple of issues I wanted to inquire about:

* My Sorc/Monk char was clearly moving faster than other characters, but was constantly being run down by ogres, ogrillions, gnolls etc. Is this intentional, because in my other install a Monk can easily outrun most foes.

* When I cast Sleep, it seemed to cause the game to crash.

* When I cast Colour Spray, it caused Confusion (which did nothing, but is a known issue), when I think it was meant to cause Unconsciousness (though I have modded this spell, I think it's aTweaks, which might be part of the issue).

Anyway I died too often so I tried to make a Druid/Mage. The thing is that I couldn't get this to work without removing the Sorcerer/Monk, because the classes window on character creation wouldn't scroll down. I don't know if anyone has tried using multiple custom multiclasses yet but I can only imagine it's a problem with the UI.

It also didn't seem to want to let me scribe scrolls (is there something special I need to do for that?) and crashed when I cast Find Familiar (Chaotic Neutral alignment, which I think is a cat).

Anyway I just wanted to say that this is coming along very nicely indeed, even the idea of these sorts of mods was a pipe dream before, but I figured you should know about these bugs.

ok, first thing first: which gemrb version? Do you have saves for the crashers? (new release ETA: 1-2days)

For bgt/tutu bg2 is indeed the correct choice. Starting xp can be ammended in our clskills.2da.

Actor speed is an issue, yes. We know it should be slower in bg1, but also bg2 feels too fast. In was based on animations in the original, so it is not yet fully understood.

A crash involving sleep is usually caused by our animation framework - some types don't know what to do when changing to the sleeping animation.

Sorcerers can't scribe scrolls.

If you have GUIEnhancements on (nonzero) in the config then it is really an issue. We extended the kit and class selection, but nobody ever made new multiclass combinations, so I there was just no need yet.

It's version 0.6.6. I have GUIEnhancements set to 1, and the scroll bar did show up and seemed scrollable when I had the two custom classes installed, but scrolling down didn't actually make the list itself scroll, if you see what I mean.

I did indeed tweak the clskills.2da, thanks. Also there is a certain realism to things like Ogres being faster than you, but that's not how it was in either BG1 or 2 I don't think.

I think I might have a save for the Sleep issue, but I'll see if I can't repeat the bug. The second time I just cast it on the ground and it seemed OK, but then it crashed a second later. That could have been a coincidence but as I said, I'll try and repeat it a couple of times.

The character I noticed the lack of scroll scribing on was the Druid/Mage. I might have screwed that up a bit, is there something extra I need to do?

Thanks

i think you cannot scribe scrolls because you installed druid/mage over the sorc/monk and perhaps messed up somewhere. maybe try again with fresh 2da files.

TuTu/bgt/etc isnt really up to us to support. talk to the mod makers about supporting gemrb. they would at least make a note about the starting exp. Any mod that modifies the exe isn't going to work with gemrb without editing 2da files.

a lot has changed from 0.6.6 to now and some rare crashes were fixed.

one question i have about the scrolling: does it work when clicking the slider anywhere? is it just scrollwheel interaction that doesnt work? i think there may be a small problem with the scrollbars we add ourselves because some method doesnt get called during setup or somesuch.

the gibberelings issue was fixed in git a while ago.

As for the druid/mage, it depends on which usability you used - if the druid one, then surely they can't use scrolls. Mage/cleric would be better choice in this regard.

OK, great news on the gibberlings.

As for the Druid/Mage, I chose Druid usability with the thought that weapons and armour should be restricted to the druid's ethos, etc. I'll try changing that.

For the scrollbar thing, the bar itself scrolled when clicked on, but the same class selections were displayed. I imagine that support for extra multiclasses is not high on your list of priorities right now but I figured that you'd want to know.

EDIT: Also, one other thing is that on TuTu, the game refuses to run in windowed mode for some reason, and even if I tab out, the mouse gets stuck up in the top-left corner of the screen, meaning I can't really do anything other than play the game whilst it's running. Not all that big an issue, but hey.

Well, as I said, it's not really high priority. I did take a look at that script but unfortunately I've never used Python before. I managed to make an extra button show up for one further multiclass (which seemed more or less to work), but the scroll bar still didn't do anything. Looking at the code suggests the kits menu has the same issue, but something which is probably easy for someone who knows what they're doing is rather beyond my current capabilities I'm afraid. :-(

Archived