Xan Romance won't start

Ankhesenpaaten

I have the GOG version of BG1 now and have two games going, one with Gavin and one with, I had hoped, Xan.

My pc meets the requirements. But every time I leave the Nashkel Mines Xan NEVER speaks his first LT. I've checked my Weidu Log and I've installed everything. I've also reinstalled just to be sure. But when I reload, again and again Xan says nothing.

I do have the PID Menu, but just the normal talk one, not the romance one. If he had begun LT #1 I wouldn't be concerned, but he doesn't say, "The Sky!" etc.

I do have Gavin in the party but it is too soon for Gavin and my pc to be involved in this game and I even experimented with killing Gavin in the Mines before leaving. But nope...Xan remains silent.

Female fighter CG Elf with good stats. I don't get the problem. Is there any way to force the first LT?

I'm feeling DOOM, people...DOOOOOM! :(

If necessary -

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications for v12

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #3 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Imoen her BG2 portrait.

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #4 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Jaheira her BG2 portrait.

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #5 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Minsc his BG2 portrait.

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #6 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Viconia her BG2 portrait.

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #7 // The BG1 NPC Project: Add Non-Joinable NPC portraits to quests and dialogues

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #8 // The BG1 NPC Project: Coran's Romance Core (adult content)

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #9 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content)

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content)

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #11 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content)

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // The BG1 NPC Project: Xan's Romance Core (teen content)

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #13 // The BG1 NPC Project: Ajantis Romance Core (teen content)

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #14 // The BG1 NPC Project: Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #17 // Romance Timers -> Coran's Romance Speed (30 minutes)

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #22 // Romance Timers -> Dynaheir's Romance Speed (30 minutes)

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #27 // Romance Timers -> Xan's Romance Speed (30 minutes)

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #32 // Romance Timers -> Shar-Teel's Relationship Speed (30 minutes)

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #37 // Romance Timers -> Branwen's Romance Speed (30 minutes)

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #42 // Romance Timers -> Ajantis' Romance Speed (30 minutes)

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #45 // The BG1 NPC Project: NPCs can be sent to wait in an inn.

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #47 // The BG1 NPC Project: Alora's Starting Location. -> Alora Starts in Gullykin.

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #49 // The BG1 NPC Project: Eldoth's Starting Location. -> Eldoth Starts on the Coast Way.

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #51 // The BG1 NPC Project: Quayle's Starting Location. -> Quayle Starts at the Nashkel Carnival.

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #53 // The BG1 NPC Project: Tiax's Starting Location. -> Tiax Starts in Beregost.

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #54 // Jason Compton's Accelerated Banter Script.

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #55 // The BG1 NPC Project: Make Shar-Teel Unkillable until In Party

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #56 // Check for TutuFix Walking Speeds & patch BG1NPC creatures

// Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #200 // The BG1 NPC Project: Player-Initiated Dialogues

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications for v12

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #3 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Imoen her BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #4 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Jaheira her BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #5 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Minsc his BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #6 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Viconia her BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #7 // The BG1 NPC Project: Add Non-Joinable NPC portraits to quests and dialogues

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #8 // The BG1 NPC Project: Coran's Romance Core (adult content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #9 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #11 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // The BG1 NPC Project: Xan's Romance Core (teen content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #13 // The BG1 NPC Project: Ajantis Romance Core (teen content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #14 // The BG1 NPC Project: Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #17 // Romance Timers -> Coran's Romance Speed (30 minutes)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #22 // Romance Timers -> Dynaheir's Romance Speed (30 minutes)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #27 // Romance Timers -> Xan's Romance Speed (30 minutes)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #32 // Romance Timers -> Shar-Teel's Relationship Speed (30 minutes)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #37 // Romance Timers -> Branwen's Romance Speed (30 minutes)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #42 // Romance Timers -> Ajantis' Romance Speed (30 minutes)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #45 // The BG1 NPC Project: NPCs can be sent to wait in an inn.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #47 // The BG1 NPC Project: Alora's Starting Location. -> Alora Starts in Gullykin.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #49 // The BG1 NPC Project: Eldoth's Starting Location. -> Eldoth Starts on the Coast Way.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #51 // The BG1 NPC Project: Quayle's Starting Location. -> Quayle Starts at the Nashkel Carnival.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #53 // The BG1 NPC Project: Tiax's Starting Location. -> Tiax Starts in Beregost.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #54 // Jason Compton's Accelerated Banter Script.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #55 // The BG1 NPC Project: Make Shar-Teel Unkillable until In Party

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #56 // Check for TutuFix Walking Speeds & patch BG1NPC creatures

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #200 // The BG1 NPC Project: Player-Initiated Dialogues

~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Gavin NPC for Tutu and BGT, 14April2008: v8

~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #1 // Gavin: Romance (mature content): v8

~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #2 // Gavin: Flirts (adult content): v8

~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #4 // Gavin: Alternate Portraits -> Original portrait by berelinde (default): v8

~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #10 // Gavin: Player Initiated Dialogue: v8

Let's see... I think killing Gavin in the Nashkel mines should be a definite prerequisite for NOT starting Xan romance, actually(if I were Xan, I'd just run away - if she killed that good-natured cleric just because she could, what would she do to ME?) but seriously, you got everything right, unless Coran or Ajantis slept with your PC while you weren't looking. I've only got v18; will check v20. Wonder why is it "required modification for v12" in your log, though - you've got v12? That's gotta be ancient...

My first recommendation would be deleting your override and mod directories, repacking a clean install and restoring your save with only BG1 NPC installed; my second recommendation would be checking Xan's romance and match variables, if the elf is still silent: X#XANMatch and X#XARomanceActive; post them here, if they're both not at 1. If he talks, my third recommendation would be installing Gavin and proceeding normally. Please remember that Gavin romanceactive=2 correctly kills Xan's.

P.S. I checked flags for Xan's first talk and re-checked his and Gavin's scripts, everything should be normal, unless the area you're in erroneously got flagged by DUNGEON or something(joking, can't happen, unless someone's been really dumb; anyway, can't happen). So, my first recommendation stands - clean install.

I did indeed have v12 in my mods folder... so it could have been my mistake. I've been collecting my mods in a folder for years and perhaps installed it instead of v20? Hmm... Well, what I just did earlier this morning after reading your post I tried for the hells of it to just reinstall v20. I thought I'd give it a shot.

Well, it asked me if I wanted to "Reinstall" everything it asked me about separately. So...I dunno! Well, I did just that. I hit "reinstall" for everything and began a new game.

Now it works! *puzzled but delighted* And Imoen was chatty since the beginning, which I had forgotten about.

Thank you for your quick response! I've really missed Xan.

Oh, and yeah, killing Gavin was so wrong - but it was just an experiment to see if Xan would kick in and speak! But he's now alive and well. :)

I wonder if the first times I tried not starting a new game was the problem. Well, now I know. Thank you again.

Archived