Off-topic Q about how game engine calculates levels

ancalimohtar

Tried/failed googling it, so the modding community is my last resort.

How do hit dice work with multiclass characters? For spells that depend on the hit dice of the target, if the target is multiclass, what number is used? Just the higher of the levels? A fighter/mage with 4 million XP is only 16/15, where his pure mage friend is level 20, and a fighter is level 24. Concerning abilities that depend on the difference in hit dice (especially, for example, dispel magic, or any of a number of Spell Revisions spells), I was wondering if multiclass characters are just boned?

Usually the average level is taken, but I don't know how they're rounded. Oh, if you're the one casting dispel, it just looks at the caster level.

Yes but caster level is just your hit dice in your caster class (i.e., character level for single-class mages/clerics). Meaning if this is how it works, my own buffs get obliterated all the time by enemy dispels, and my dispels never work against enemy buffs.

But that I can live with--a multiclass is a worse caster, makes sense. But what is a problem, thematically, are things that have to do with hit dice in general, like being the target of spells, or, for example the SR version of Chaos:

This spell is similar to the 4th level Confusion spell, but creatures with 5 or more Hit Dice/levels less than the caster do not receive a saving throw versus the effects. Those allowed saving throws vs. spell roll them with a -4 penalty.

Do multiclass characters get screwed against Chaos?

Archived