How to do this? GemRB Windows 8

Streetsbound

I've seen three threads asking for help with gemrb; and though I'm loathe to add to that pile I am simply lost. I downloaded the precompiled gemrb 0.8.0 for 32 bit windows systems. In specific: GemRB-win32-v0.8.0-289-g88bbd16.zip from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gemrb/files/Buildbot%20Binaries/Windows/mingw32/

I've a shiney new asus transformer book tf100, a tablet that is in essence a touch-screen netbook running windows 8.1; since baldur's gate 2 seems to be the go-to IE game I've downloaded and installed the gog version, and. . . Now what?

I wasn't able to make much of the instructions on the wiki; I've created a copy of the sample .cfg and renamed it to bg2.cfg. Within that I've changed the following: Resolution to 800X600 for my 10.1 inch screen, mouse and tooltip hidden (set to 3), touch gutter scrolling disabled (I'm to understand the multitouch scrolling option suffices here for panning the viewscreen?). Outside of that i'm not sure what to do- I deleted the standard gamepaths (mnt/windows/programmi/Black Isle. . . etc) and put in the path to the directory like the .cfg says to: C:\GOG Games\Baldur's Gate 2; with C:\GOG Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data for CD2,3,4,5.

Double click the launcher and nothing, a small black box pops up with a dos command line box saying stuff.

I clearly wasn't able to figure this out on my own and if someone were capable of showing me how to get an IE game running through gemrb I'd be thankful. A few caveats:

As my computer is a windows 8.1 machine, Baldurs gate two and one complete and enhanced run by default, and work as expected. I'm interested in gemrb because i've heard that there's touch capability- currently I can run the games but viewscreen panning is a chore with touch-only on stock bg2. Is it worth my time to go through gemrb for this- I.E Will gemrb do what I want it to?

Out of curiosity, would the enhanced editions of baldur's gate one and two run through gemrb?

I've installed Gemrb before, on an android tablet following a guide, I recall it being far simpler with minimal .cfg editing required, and I am at a loss with all this .cfg editing stuff for windows. I'm willing to go through with it though, because it was such a blast playing IE games on my tablet with touch screen, relaxing on the couch while my girlfriend played her games on the main PC. I figure that once I know what I'm doing I'd be able to apply the process to different games than baldur's gate 2 fairly simply

Double click the launcher and nothing, a small black box pops up with a dos command line box saying stuff.

that "stuff" will tell you what is wrong, and nobody can help you without it.

Out of curiosity, would the enhanced editions of baldur's gate one and two run through gemrb?

No, not at the moment.

I still have absolutely no clue how to provide the command line stuff- But I have it basically running now after four days of utter frustration trying to figure stuff out. Just for anyone else inexperienced I'm going to post an overview of what I did (Which might be utterly wrong!) to get this working with the windows build.Again with the caveat that I could still be wrong: My problem was copying and fiddling around with the sample.cfg renamed to the gametype as the installation guide says: What it says is:

• Copy one of the GemRB.cfg samples and rename it to <game_name>.cfg . You can name configuration files arbitrarily, but this way makes the most sense if you'll be running multiple games.

• Edit GemRB.cfg. The only two things that always need to be changed is the path to the game's data files (GamePath, CDx) and the desired game (GameType). It is crucial you get this right.

But what it seems is that the gemrb.cfg.sample provided doesn't do anything either renamed to the gametype.cfg or to gemrb.cfg itself- Instead what I found is that I had to edit the gemrb.cfg already included, and contrary to the instructions more than gamepath and gametype need to be changed: Even with single-source installs like GoG the CDpath needs to be added the way it is in the sample (Which should point to the gametype's /data location). The width and height both need to be changed here as well to the desired resolutions, though anything larger than 800X600 does not seem to work, contrary to the sample's description. Finally the audiodriver needs to be set to openal. The game should run now as it would natively.

Where I still have problems!

When I run the game fullscreen, my touchinput does not register in the right area! it only registers correctly in the windowed version, Also! None of the following commands from the sample cfg seem to work, at the least I can't get them to work:

UseSoftKeyboard=1

NumFingScroll=2

NumFingKboard=3

I can however get TouchScrollAreas&MouseFeedback to work the way they should. If anyone could help me out with getting touch functionality working right, I will love you forever.

you don't, in fact, have to fiddle with CD paths for standard installs; GOG is not standard, hence the need to manually add a CD path.

BTW you can copy and past text from the windows terminal... would have save you a headache. there is also a log file and I'm pretty sure the output on the terminal tells you that as well as its location.

Glad you are up and running :)

Windows version does not support touch input because it is not built with SDL 2 (our SDL2 builds are not up to par yet); you would have to manually build GemRB to use touch input on windows.

Resolution larger than 800x600 works fine for BG2, but you have to use a resolution that exists within the game like 1024x768; you cannot use an arbitrary resolution without the widescreen mod.

Archived