Enforcements for House Jae'llat?

Azaghal

Storming House Jae'llat in Ust Natha right now. According to SCS readme it was "optimised". Well, it was challenging indeed, left only <charactername> and Jaheira standing. Had to resurrect Viconia, Imoen, Edwin and even Minsc. But then - waves of reenforcements, drow battlegroups consisting of fighters and mages IIRC, started pouring in. Nothing overwhelming, though they met my group pants down. And they kept coming and coming!!! Looked very much like the beefed up Ust Natha defences part, though I did not crash the demon summoning of Ardulace yet or attacked anyone outside House Jae'llat.

I didn't reach the end because of RL. The fight went on for almost an hour when I had to stop.

Bug or intended "optimisation"? :undecided:

I played this recently, and it's the only fight in my playthrough that I gave up on due to difficulty. I think it's because the 'better calls for help' part of SCS eventually draws everyone in the area towards you, whereas in vanilla I think this area would have been two separate fights (though I'm not 100% sure). This makes sense, given that it's such a small area, but it does mean that you have to fight an overwhelming number of opponents (with magic resistance!).

Also, from the SCS readme it appears that SCS adds even more opponents:

it slightly optimises House Jae'llat nobles and adds one more noble and a few commoner priests and mages.

Like you, I found that each attempt went on for ages and was mostly a matter of melee attrition, and more opponents kept pouring in from the right. Made harder for the fact that there's no chokepoints or areas to retreat to.

edit: I was also fairly high level when I went to the Underdark, having completed most Chapter 2 quests already.

Thanks for confirmation, Simon.

On my second attempt I did not face the reenforcements. There were only the additional/optimised members of House Jae'llat mentioned in the SCS readme. No help from outside arrived during or after the fight. Well, now House Jae'llat is no more. That's what you get from messing with the Bhaalspawn AND Jarlaxle combined.

Your explanation is reasonable though I can't remember that the "better calls for help" draws help from outside an area. And - seemingly - it does not always kick in. But then the question remains what made those reenforcements appear in your game and my first attempt. ???

Maybe I misunderstood you - I didn't get anyone coming in from outside, I just got people coming in from the area to the North-East which is connected by that walkway on the right. People coming from outside is weird, I don't know what could cause that if they weren't already hostile.

Maybe I misunderstood you - I didn't get anyone coming in from outside, I just got people coming in from the area to the North-East which is connected by that walkway on the right. People coming from outside is weird, I don't know what could cause that if they weren't already hostile.

If they come from the outside, it could be a case where one of the enemies went outside and is calling for help from the rest of the city, which means you are truly in trouble(and unlike the quest is meant to happen).

Archived