adding modded HLA tables

subtledoctor

Anyone have any experience with this? In my big upcoming divine kitpack, I want to create kit-specific HLA tables at install time, based on which spheres of magic the kit has access to. There will be dozens of kits, so that means I would need to have dozens of HLA tables.

I'm not worried about the process - APPEND will make it very simple to build the custom tables. I'm worried about whether the game can handle them.

My understanding is, in the vanilla game, each table has a 5-digit filename starting with "LU" - LUdr0.2da, LUfi3.2da, etc. When I use Weidu's ADD_KIT I input a 3-digit table reference - dr0, fi0, etc. - and "LU" is added as a prefix automatically. So the big question is, how flexible is that filename structure?

I'll assume it has to start with "LU," but does it have to be 5 digits? If I'm a good modder and use my modding prefix with that, it means I can only add ~36 tables, with a single alphanumeric slot to fill in the filename.

On the other hand, if I can expand that to 8 digits, I could comfortably make as many tables as I need. LUd5sha1.2da, LUd5lat4.2da, LUd5sel2.2da, etc.

Before I start putting hours into this, does anyone know whether that will work?

Yeah, the LU prefix is a must, but you can have anything as long as the IE game can read it, so from 1 to 6 other characters, as the 8 marks/digits/characters is max. So LUxyzfr5.2da and LUIJ#AH0.2DA will work. Ouh and try to keep it in the a-z/A-Z and 0-9's. I have used a 2+6 character LU file in both BG2, and EE games... installing the same mod in both with the LUIJ#AH0.2DA ... :p

So with your prefix of LUd5, you should still have about 1 600 000 .2da -files.

So with your prefix of LUd5, you should still have about 1 600 000 .2da -files.

Awesome. I don't think we'll have that many kits. But we'll have a lot, maybe 50 or 60. I've already got 22 working in my beta build.

Oh, here's another question I recall coming up when reading about Level1NPCs:

What happens if a multiclass character has a kit, and that kit has an HLA table? Does that cause crashes or something?

What happens if a multiclass character has a kit, and that kit has an HLA table? Does that cause crashes or something?

The multiclasses have their own special HLA table. So having a kit in a multiclass is likely not going to give you that many options of HLAs, as it's likely to only gives you the assigned multiclass HLA table. Look at the LUABBR.2da file. You probably can AddSuperKit the kit and thus gain the HLA if it's assigned to the multi-kit combination... but, but really I haven't dealt with the multiclass kits too much so I actually have no idea. In the Multiclassed Multikit Builder Mod, the HLA table is build and assigned during the kit change in game... but I can't lie to you and tell you how it's actually done. There's also a less official v0.27.2 and thus more uptodate build by ChevsDaak here.

Archived