[BG:EE] Question to usability of custom quickslot items

jastey

I made an animal NPC (dog). He was developped on BGT platform so I created a kit as a mixture of wizard-slayer / kensai / beast master to restrict item usage.

I want him to be able to use custom items, though. I made a "chew toy" which will restore 9 HP if he shews on it. It's usability is restricted so no human / dwarf/ elf / halfling /half-elf can use it (there is no box to tick for half-orks, maybe my NI is outdated).

For BGT, the item worked fine. For BG:EE, I can put it into the quickslot bar, but when clicking on it to use it, it says "Cannot use item".

Does someone know what was changed for BG:EE, is it some restrictions concerning wizard-slayer not being able to use any items at all or am I missing something? I am not sure where to start looking to get this item to work.

In the Enhanced Editions you can simply use opcode 319 (Restrict item). Set Param2 = 11 (Actor's script name) and the Resource field to the script name of your creature. You might be able to use the Resource2 and Resource3 fields of EFF files if the script name is longer than 8 characters, but I haven't tested it. Setting classic restrictions via Unusable bits are not needed anymore. You can also use the Special field to set a strref containing the animal name which is used for specific text messages.

You can see how it's done in RSBOOT.ITM (Moonlight Walkers) which is only usable by Rasaad.

I created an item with using opcode 319 for restricted use only, but the error message remains. (Do I have to patch some ids file for this to work, too? I only set the parameters and the script name etc. in NI).

I fear it's a priciple thing, as I said, something with my custom kit (wizard-slayer + kensai + beast master) for the new BG:EE engine.

EDIT: The problem is that the NPC the item is made for cannot use it when clicking on it. I can put it into the quickslot alright.

Archived