Protection from Spell opcode

critto

I have some difficulties making it work. In IWD:EE, there's a druidic spell called Alicorn Lance (sppr218.spl).

I want to prepare a version of it for ToB. The original spell applies -2 penalty to AC and prevents stacking via 321 opcode (remove effects by resource). Since the vanilla engine doesn't have the 321 opcode, I want to make the target immune to further AC penalties from that spell via a 206 opcode.

I've externalised the AC penalty into a separate spell (let's call it spell2) that is applied to the target via 146 opcode. I also added the 206 opcode (protection from spell2) of the same duration as the penalty to AC and put it as the last effect on the list.

For some reason, it doesn't work. Consecutive castings cause further AC penalties.

I've also tried to put the 206th opcode inside spell2. It doesn't work either.

What am I missing?

This is not the first time I am doing this trick. It never failed to work to prevent stacking for buff spells, a short-term immunity as counter-measure against resonating fire shield bug, etc.

The first time I am implementing it for an offensive, projectile-based spell, though. Could it be because spell2 that is applied via 146 opcode has no projectile?

I don't know. I just made a bunch of spells like that and it always seems to work fine.

Neither here nor there, but I'll repeat that all of the drama and division and everything surrounding the EE games is all worth it, just for opcode 321. It's so damn good.

More helpful: are you aware that the IWDification mod already contains a version of Alicorn Lance that works on the TOB engine? You might want to inspect it as see whether/how this issue is addressed in that mod.

Or, just install that mod and call it a day. :p

Neither here nor there, but I'll repeat that all of the drama and division and everything surrounding the EE games is all worth it, just for opcode 321. It's so damn good.

I am actually pro-EE, I am not from the old-school camp :) While EE is very raw and beta-like, the possibilities are numerous (if only Beamdog was interested in extending functionality of the scripting engine). I maintain the mod that was working with ToB for years, And I do not plan to abandon the support in the near future even though I'd love to, personally. I am porting the spell because I like it and it will be a great addition.

More helpful: are you aware that the IWDification mod already contains a version of Alicorn Lance that works on the TOB engine? You might want to inspect it as see whether/how this issue is addressed in that mod.

I'll check it out. Which IWD mod is it specifically? There's a bunch of them out there.

EDIT: found it. Apparently, there is no solution whatsoever :) The spl resource has neither the 321 opcode, nor any other means of protection for stacking of effects.

Right, I have figured it out, finally. Turns out, I've had non-zero values for Dice Level and Dice Size fields in 206 opcode's feature block. That messed things up.

I also moved the block from primary spell into spell2 and set Resistance field to a value that ignores MR. But the char I tested the spell on had no MR and changing dice values definitely screwed with the opcode, so I'm blaming it.

Archived