Translators needed! Very small project.

subtledoctor

Okay, next (final?) step is to figure out how to detect the user's game language. Does Weidu have an automated way to find this out?

I know Weidu asks you to choose which language to install in, but I'm in the situation where the mod only has English and Polish translations, and maybe someone with their game in Italian wants to use the mod. They might simply install the English version of the mod into their Italian game. (Especially for the Armor System component, most of the changes are purely functional.) But, even though they chose "English" when running Weidu, I want to component to see and use the Italian translation for those three terms. Ideally, without any further intervention. Basically, I'll have something like:

[find language of BG game]

OUTER_SPRINT the_lang [the game language]

WITH_TRA ~%the_lang%/YARAS.tra~ BEGIN
   OUTER_SPRINT dragon_tra @10 // ~dragon~
END

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.itm$~ ~override~
  PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x71) BEGIN
    READ_SHORT 0x1c type
    PATCH_IF (type = 2) BEGIN
      READ_LONG 0x0c id_name_strref
      PATCH_IF (id_name_strref >= 0 && id_name_strref < 2147483646) BEGIN
        READ_STRREF 0x0c ~id_name~
        PATCH_IF NOT (~%id_name%~ STRING_CONTAINS_REGEXP ~+1~) BEGIN
          WRITE_LONG 0x60 1
        END
        PATCH_IF NOT (~%id_name%~ STRING_CONTAINS_REGEXP ~+2~) BEGIN
          WRITE_LONG 0x60 2
        END
        PATCH_IF NOT (~%id_name%~ STRING_CONTAINS_REGEXP ~+3~) BEGIN
          WRITE_LONG 0x60 3
        END
        PATCH_IF NOT (~%id_name%~ STRING_CONTAINS_REGEXP ~+4~) BEGIN
          WRITE_LONG 0x60 4
        END
        PATCH_IF NOT (~%id_name%~ STRING_CONTAINS_REGEXP ~+5~) BEGIN
          WRITE_LONG 0x60 5
        END
        PATCH_IF NOT (~%id_name%~ STRING_CONTAINS_REGEXP ~+6~) BEGIN
          WRITE_LONG 0x60 6
        END
        PATCH_IF NOT (~%id_name%~ STRING_CONTAINS_REGEXP ~%dragon_tra%~) BEGIN
          WRITE_LONG 0x60 4
        END
      END
    END
  END
BUT_ONLY

Ideas?

The following lines are from the various BG:EE dialog.tlk files:

EN:
Armor Class
Dragon
Elven

CH:
防御等级
龙
精灵 (not certain if it matches more than Elven Chain Mail)

CS:
Obranné číslo
Dračí / Drak
Elfí

DE:
Rüstungsklasse
Drache
Elfen

ES:
Clase de armadura
Dragón / Dragon
élfica

JP:
アーマークラス
ドラゴン / 竜
エルフ

KO:
방어도
드래곤
엘프제

RU:
Класс защиты
дракон (plus various suffixes)
Эльфийск (plus various suffixes)

Very handy - assuming I can copy and paste all of that into separate little .tra files.

Final piece of the puzzle: the EE games have the %EE_LANGUAGE% variable, but BGT games don't. I can read the user's .ini file and find this:

language=english
language25=english
Easy enough to read that and match a variable to the EE one, then to use as a patch to the WITH_TRA tra files. But to match them, I need to know all of the possible values for that line of the .ini file. can anyone think of a way to find that out?

If anyone plays on the old engine in non-English languages, could you mention how that line of your .ini reads?

Much thanks as always!

Final piece of the puzzle: the EE games have the %EE_LANGUAGE% variable, but BGT games don't. I can read the user's .ini file and find this:

language=english
language25=english
Easy enough to read that and match a variable to the EE one, then to use as a patch to the WITH_TRA tra files. But to match them, I need to know all of the possible values for that line of the .ini file. can anyone think of a way to find that out?

If anyone plays on the old engine in non-English languages, could you mention how that line of your .ini reads?

I wouldn't be so sure. These lines are more likely representing the locale settings of the operating system at install time which don't necessarily match the game language.

You could try to analyze specific vanilla game strrefs to determine the game language, but even this isn't foolproof in a heavily modded game. Or ask the user about the game language.

Hmm. This is a really annoying problem. Maybe I can reverse the regexp lookup for those lines. Find the dragon strref, do a IF STRING_CONTAINS_REGEXP for each language's version of "dragon," set the successful one as the language, then plug that language into the WITH_TRA definition, the do the "forwards" STRING_CONTAINS_REGEXP on the armor item name inside the WITH_TRA clause.

Or just make the component EE-only. This is just yet another instance (in a long line of instances) of the EEs making things far easier for the modder.

Heck, most of the players holding out using the old engine only use the old mods anyway. I don't see many non-EE players trying out my stuff. It really makes me wonder why I should go through all the extra effort ...

Hrmm. Getting a parse error on this and multiple variations of it:

ACTION_IF NOT VARIABLE_IS_SET %EE_LANGUAGE% BEGIN
  COPY_EXISTING ~leat01.itm~ ~override~
    READ_STRREF 0x08 ac_string
  BUT_ONLY
  ACTION_FOR_EACH lang IN ~en_US~ ~pl_PL~ ~de_DE~ ~es_ES~ ~fr_FR~ ~cs_CZ~ ~ru_RU~ ~ko_KR~
    WITH_TRA ~scales_of_balance/language/%lang%/armor.tra~ BEGIN
      OUTER_SPRINT ac_lang @10001
    END      
    ACTION_IF NOT (~%ac_string%~ STRING_CONTAINS_REGEXP ~%ac_lang%~) BEGIN
      OUTER_SPRINT yaras_lang %lang%
    END
  END
END
EDIT - even when I comment that out, I still get parse errors for this:

ACTION_IF VARIABLE_IS_SET %EE_LANGUAGE% BEGIN
  OUTER_SPRINT ee_lang %EE_LANGUAGE%
  ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS ~scales_of_balance/language/%yaras_lang%/armor.tra~ BEGIN
	OUTER_SPRINT yaras_lang %EE_LANGUAGE%
  END
END

ACTION_IF NOT VARIABLE_IS_SET %yaras_lang% BEGIN
  OUTER_SPRINT yaras_lang ~en_US~
END

WITH_TRA EVAL ~scales_of_balance/language/%yaras_lang%/armor.tra~ BEGIN
  OUTER_SPRINT catch_ac @10001
  OUTER_SPRINT dragon_tra @10011
  OUTER_SPRINT elven_tra @10012
END

Okay good eyes. But, even with that fixed I still get a parse error at the line beginning "WITH_TRA." And if I comment out that whole first block, I get a parse error at the WITH_TRA line in the second block.

A reasonable conclusion might be that I am using WITH_TRA incorrectly... :p But as usual, I cannot tell from the Weidu readme what I'm doing wrong or how it is supposed to be phrased.

WITH_TRA traName  list BEGIN TP2 Action  list END

Isn't that what i did??

For the SPRINT commands you have to enclose the string variables in quote characters. Without it WeiDU assumes that '%' itself is the quote character and simply stores the string "EE_LANGUAGE" into the variables ee_lang and yaras_lang.

ACTION_IF VARIABLE_IS_SET %EE_LANGUAGE% BEGIN
  OUTER_SPRINT ee_lang ~%EE_LANGUAGE%~
  ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS ~scales_of_balance/language/%yaras_lang%/armor.tra~ BEGIN
	OUTER_SPRINT yaras_lang ~%EE_LANGUAGE%~
  END
END

ACTION_IF NOT VARIABLE_IS_SET %yaras_lang% BEGIN
  OUTER_SPRINT yaras_lang ~en_US~
END

WITH_TRA EVAL ~scales_of_balance/language/%yaras_lang%/armor.tra~ BEGIN
  OUTER_SPRINT catch_ac @10001
  OUTER_SPRINT dragon_tra @10011
  OUTER_SPRINT elven_tra @10012
END

No joy. I keep trying different stuff, fixing all of that, but this still gives me a parse error at the WITH_TRA line:

ACTION_IF NOT VARIABLE_IS_SET %EE_LANGUAGE% BEGIN
  COPY_EXISTING ~leat01.itm~ ~override~
    READ_STRREF 0x08 ac_string
  BUT_ONLY
  ACTION_FOR_EACH lang IN ~en_US~ ~pl_PL~ ~de_DE~ ~es_ES~ ~fr_FR~ ~cs_CZ~ ~ru_RU~ ~ko_KR~ BEGIN
    WITH_TRA lang_tra ~scales_of_balance/language/%lang%/armor.tra~ BEGIN
      OUTER_SPRINT ac_lang @10001
    END      
    ACTION_IF NOT (~%ac_string%~ STRING_CONTAINS_REGEXP ~%ac_lang%~) BEGIN
      OUTER_SPRINT yaras_lang ~%lang%~
    END
  END
END

Archived