Component request

Belanos

I really like having the various missile bags in the Tutu BG1 game, but I think they're a little overdone. What I would like to see is just one type of Ammo Belt that holds 200-250 missiles of all types, but have a number of them throughout the game. I'd also like to see a few more Scroll Cases scattered about. The readme says there's only one at Highhedge, it would be nice if there more.

And I didn't come across a Gem bag in the Friendly Arms Inn, as per the readme. It's possible I missed it but I don't think so. I've just installed version 10 of the Tweak pack, so maybe it will appear now. Again though, the readme says there's only one in the game available there; I would like to see a few more.

Stores are stored in savegames, so if you had already visited the FAI before installing you're out of luck. You could cheat it in via console... it's C!BAG02 if memory serves.If you haven't been there and it's missing, I've got another bug to fix. ;)

As tempting as it is to add more minor BoH, I'm doing my best to resist. I hate inventory management, but I also don't want to flood the game with items which really should be rare for the general level of BG--this is the same issue I run into when deciding what to add with the Exoctic Items component.

Stores are stored in savegames, so if you had already visited the FAI before installing you're out of luck. You could cheat it in via console... it's C!BAG02 if memory serves.If you haven't been there and it's missing, I've got another bug to fix.  ;)

As tempting as it is to add more minor BoH, I'm doing my best to resist. I hate inventory management, but I also don't want to flood the game with items which really should be rare for the general level of BG--this is the same issue I run into when deciding what to add with the Exoctic Items component.

I guess you have another bug to fix, since I just went back there and there's no Gem bag. Oh well, I was debating about reinstalling the game anyway, I've had a few mod conflicts by the looks of it.

I understand your point about flooding the game with items like that, which is why I'm suggesting a few toned down items. I got that Ammo Belt in Beregost, and it seems to me that being able to put 2000 missiles in it is a bit much. Plus I've come across unlimited versions for just Bolts and Bullets so far. Why not just have 6 smaller capacity Ammo Belts that can be bought as the party progresses through the game? If every member could eventually have a belt that holds about 200 missiles, that would make a big difference in inventory management and wouldn't be overdoing it IMO. And at least 2 or 3 Scroll cases and Gem bags would be nice. Having 1 potion bag that holds 100 sounds about right, as does 1 Bag of Holding.

It's not like items like that give the party any tactical advantage, it just means less hassle for the player trying to organize everything.

I just had a look at Icewind Dale 1's item list. In that game, there are 10 each of Scroll Cases, Potion Bags and Gem bags. IIRC, they each held 20 items, for a total of 200 of each item type. Plus it has 2 Bags of Holding. If you were to have 6 of each bag type, one for every party member and each holding 30 items, you'd have less overall capacity than there was in IWD I. And the Spine of the World is supposedly less developed economically than the Sword Coast, so it wouldn't be overdoing it on that level. Nor would it be unbalancing the gameplay, you'd just be making it easier for the player to manage his/her inventory. Then have 6 Ammo Belts holding 200 items each.

As it stands now, you've pretty much made your option of having all bags in the game bottomless redundant, since they already are for the most part. Myself, I'd like to play with some limits, though still not have to go through the hassle of juggling things around in order to carry as much as I can. I think having the capacity I've mentioned here, plus 1 Bag of Holding, would be just about right. I could even manage with just three Scroll Cases and Gem Bags frankly. I don't think I ever filled all those up in IWD.

I really don't see the relevance of Icewind Dale here. Icewind Dale is a very different game from Baldur's Gate and what it does with containers is...what it does. Just because Icewind Dale has ten times as much combat as Baldur's Gate doesn't mean Baldur's Gate should have ten times as much combat as it does, after all.

Stores are stored in savegames, so if you had already visited the FAI before installing you're out of luck. You could cheat it in via console... it's C!BAG02 if memory serves.If you haven't been there and it's missing, I've got another bug to fix.  ;)

Version 10 has fixed the problem of the missing Gem bag in the Freindly Arm Inn. So there's no bug on your end, it was just a compatibilty problem. I figured you might like to know that before you wasted time debugging the component.

I really don't see the relevance of Icewind Dale here.  Icewind Dale is a very different game from Baldur's Gate and what it does with containers is...what it does.  Just because Icewind Dale has ten times as much combat as Baldur's Gate doesn't mean Baldur's Gate should have ten times as much combat as it does, after all.

Well the issue is irrelevant anyway since I've figured out how to edit those components to the way I'd like to have it. I think. I'm just in the process of doing so, I haven't seen for sure whether I actually know what I'm doing.

So far so good, my revised Ammo Belt is showing up in the Friendly Amn Inn. Don't know yet whether it's actually working as a container. I'm going for a limit of 200 in each, but have one for each party member as the game progresses.

How exactly do you tie in the item to the store abilities? I can't see any sort of connection between the two.

Archived