FATAL ERROR...dialog.tlk: Permission denied

Lauriel

Does anyone know why I would be getting this error when adding dialogue to EET?  Only 4 of my 9 dialogue lines are making it in properly.  Here's what I have:

// Dialogue file for flaming fist healer #1
COMPILE EVALUATE_BUFFER ~transitions/dialogues/ffhealer.d~ USING ~transitions/languages/%s/dialogues.tra~

ffhealer.d:

Spoiler

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/* priests come into Undercity's temple to heal the PC   */
/* Using them to confisate Sarevok's sword, as well      */
/* Slightly edited version of jastey's c#stsdpr dialogue */
/* from her Endless BG1 mod                              */
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
BEGIN ~#LffHlr1~
IF ~Global("#L_FFHealedGroup","MYAREA",0)~ THEN BEGIN duke_priest
    SAY @2000     // ~<CHARNAME>! The Dukes sent us to see to your well-being. We will take care of the bodies of Sarevok and his minions.~
    = @2001     // ~We've also come to collect Sarevok's sword.  The dukes don't want it to become a rallying symbol for his minions.~
    = @2002        // ~Do you want us to heal you and disarm the traps while we're here?~
    ++ @2003    /* ~Uh, sure.  Go ahead.~ */ + duke_priest_02
    ++ @2004     /* ~No thanks, I'll manage on my own.~ */ + duke_priest_01
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN duke_priest_01
    SAY @2005 // ~You've done a great deed for the city, <CHARNAME>, indeed for the entire Sword Coast.~
    = @2006 // ~Return to the Palace when you are ready and speak to the Dukes, they wish to thank you. Fare well.~
    IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("#L_SwordTaken","GLOBAL",1) ActionOverride("#LffHlr1",TakePartyItem("SW2H16")) ActionOverride("#LffHlr1",TakePartyItem("c#stsrvs")) ActionOverride("#LffHlr1",DestroyItem("SW2H16")) ActionOverride("#LffHlr1",DestroyItem("c#stsrvs")) ActionOverride("#LffHlr1",EscapeArea()) ActionOverride("#LffHlr2",EscapeArea())~ EXIT
END  

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN duke_priest_02
    SAY @2007 /* ~With pleasure. Please hold still for a moment...~ */
    IF ~~ THEN DO ~ClearAllActions() StartCutSceneMode() StartCutscene("#LffHlCs")~ EXIT
END

IF ~Global("#L_FFHealedGroup","MYAREA",1)~ THEN BEGIN duke_priest_03
    SAY @2008 /* ~That should do it.~ */
    IF ~~ THEN + duke_priest_01
END

dialogues.tra:

Spoiler

/* ffhealer.d */
@2000    = ~<CHARNAME>! The Dukes sent us to see to your well-being. We will take care of the bodies of Sarevok and his minions.~
@2001    = ~We've also come to collect Sarevok's sword.  The dukes don't want it to become a rallying symbol for his minions.~
@2002    = ~Do you want us to heal you and disarm the traps while we're here?~
@2003    = ~Uh, sure.  Go ahead.~
@2004    = ~No thanks, I'll manage on my own.~
@2005    = ~You've done a great deed for the city, <CHARNAME>, indeed for the entire Sword Coast.~
@2006    = ~Return to the Palace when you are ready and speak to the Dukes, they wish to thank you. Fare well.~
@2007    = ~With pleasure. Please hold still for a moment...~
@2008    = ~That should do it.~

The lines that make it in are 2000, 2004, 2007, and 2008.  The rest are show up as invalid.  I checked and rechecked and I'm pretty sure I'm stuck this time for real.

Any help would be appreciated.  Oh, and if I've done something complete stupid, be kind.  My first dialogue file. :)

381 characters, 5 entries added to DIALOG.TLK

FATAL ERROR: Sys_error(".\\lang\\en_us\\dialog.tlk: Permission denied")

Actually only 4 get added, even though it says 5.  And my TRA files all start with a different number.  Setup.tra starts with 0, game.tra starts with 1000, and dialogues.tra with with 2000 so nothing should be stepping on the other's toes.

Edited by Lauriel

I'm afraid I don't know what the problem would be. :(

Just in case you are working on Windows: Try copying the game to another folder than C:\\Program Files and see whether permission works there. Windows is a bit funky with protecting the installed programs. You can just copy the whole game folder elsewhere, you can then mod it independently to the original install and start it by clicking the baldur.exe (in case you haven't done that already).

1 minute ago, jastey said:

I'm afraid I don't know what the problem would be. :(

Just in case you are working on Windows: Try copying the game to another folder than C:\\Program Files and see whether permission works there. Windows is a bit funky with protecting the installed programs. You can just copy the whole game folder elsewhere, you can then mod it independently to the original install and start it by clicking the baldur.exe (in case you haven't done that already).

It's not installed in C:\\Program Files.  I put it C:\\Users\<me>\...

This one's a puzzler.  Normally I ask a question and find the solution right away.  This time...not so much. 😕

Figured it out.  It was the tab character that was messing it up.

My dialogue was like:

IF ~Global("#L_FFHealedGroup","MYAREA",0)~ THEN BEGIN duke_priest
    SAY @2000<tab>// ~<CHARNAME>! The Dukes sent us to see to your well-being. We will take care of the bodies of Sarevok and his minions.~
    = @2001<tab>// ~We've also come to collect Sarevok's sword.  The dukes don't want it to become a rallying symbol for his minions.~
    = @2002<tab>// ~Do you want us to heal you and disarm the traps while we're here?~
    ++ @2003<tab>/* ~Uh, sure.  Go ahead.~ */ + duke_priest_02
    ++ @2004<tab>/* ~No thanks, I'll manage on my own.~ */ + duke_priest_01
END

...so the comments would line up.  Weidu did NOT appreciate my efforts.  I took the tabs out and just used a single space and all worked fine.  Live and learn!