SubtleMods: Will to Power, a 2E-inspired psionics mod

ok...already downloaded it LOL ...

but noticed this...

setup-Will_to_Power.exe] WeiDU version 24200
{setup-ajantisbg1.exe} Queried (pid = 812) version = 24600
{setup-EET_end.exe} Queried (pid = 820) version = 24600
Newest WeiDU is version 24600, updating!

Looks like you are using an older version of weidu

Ah, shows how long it's been since I worked on this.  I think v0.8 was uploaded in early 2018.  I'll ship the most current Weidu version next time I update it.  Meantime the auto-updating feature should take care of it, on the Windows side at least.

Re Weidu disappearing - I have no idea.  Maybe Weidu does that automatically when it auto-updates?  Like I say, just copy another mod's .exe file, and rename it to "setup-will_to_power.exe" and then you will have it running on Weidu v246 and it won't need to be updated.

As for the install hang, the last version had a dumb little dependency on my Mana Sorcerer kit; this one (0.9.5) does not.  (Of course you could install the Mana Sorcerer to get around that... :cool: )  I just installed it on BGEE, with none of my other mods in the game folder.  (Actually I just thought of something that should cause it to fail on BGEE, maybe... but it didn't.  Curious...

Edited by subtledoctor

ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 314 of 218-byte file C#GRTOO4.ITM
ERROR: [C#GRTOO4.ITM] -> [override/C#GRTOO4.ITM] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("C#GRTOO4.ITM: read out of bounds"))
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Add the Psionicist, rogue/psion], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 450 files for [Will_to_Power/Will_to_Power.tp2] component 200.
Uninstalled    450 files for [Will_to_Power/Will_to_Power.tp2] component 200.
ERROR: Failure("C#GRTOO4.ITM: read out of bounds")

9 minutes ago, Lauriel said:

ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 314 of 218-byte file C#GRTOO4.ITM
ERROR: [C#GRTOO4.ITM] -> [override/C#GRTOO4.ITM] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("C#GRTOO4.ITM: read out of bounds"))

ERROR Installing [Add the Psionicist, rogue/psion], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 450 files for [Will_to_Power/Will_to_Power.tp2] component 200.
Uninstalled    450 files for [Will_to_Power/Will_to_Power.tp2] component 200.
ERROR: Failure("C#GRTOO4.ITM: read out of bounds")

Try this: open will_to_power/lib/psionic_powers.tpa in a text editor.  At line 941, after

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.itm$~ ~override~

...paste another line with this:

PATCH_IF (~%SOURCE_SIZE%~ > ~0x71~) BEGIN

Then at line 951, in the middle of those four or five ENDs, add another line with an END.

Then hopefully it should skip over dumb malformed .itm files with no headers.  (Why do modders put those in the game??)

EDIT - sorry, I know well-written code will elegantly skip over malformed files.  Just frustrated.

Anyway, I just implemented the change I suggested and I successfully installed WtP over Grey the Dog (on BGEE 2.5)

Edited by subtledoctor

I don't think this is what you meant to have happen, but I cast the 'check for wild talent' and ended up with 15 mind ward, 15 project force, 15 static discharge, 15 adrenaline rush, 15 object reading (HELL YEAH! - who needs Garrick!  LOL - noooo I love Garrick!), 15 seismic vibration, and 15 energy storm which look an awful lot like one of my favorite druid spells in the game.  LOVE CALL LIGHTNING!  I wants it my precious!

Only problem is - I can't save a game or load one.  Wah!!!

EDIT:  So ... no archer psion possible?  only base class psion cuz you made the psion thingie a kit?  How much would I need to bribe you to make an archer psion? :D 

Edited by Lauriel

Got it to start saving games.  But no more every wild ability in the book.  Oh man, gonna miss that energy storm I think :)  I redid it until I got it.  Darn near killed myself with the thing.  Cast it at a tutor to see what would happen.  I got zapped.  Is that normal? :)

Edited by Lauriel

I do not understand how this is supposed to work.  I guess  should read up on it before trying to play it.  Why do I keep almost killing myself using psi.  Trying to ID...boom 'I must have aid'.  Down to 2 HP.  Heal.  Have a max of 2 HP now.  Resting doesn't fix. it.  Aack!  Load game load game!