SubtleMods: Will to Power, a 2E-inspired psionics mod

On 2/17/2020 at 11:55 PM, subtledoctor said:

Okay what the heck.  In version 0.9.6 I've added a mage/psion kit, and also tightened up a few things, e.g. psion kits will be properly prevented from getting the "check for wild talent" ability.  And you will now be able to see your initial known devotions in the priest spellbook - at least once you choose another power.

Cheers.

Just stopped to say Thank you @subtledoctor. Really appreciate it. Will try mage /psion tonight. 

On 2/17/2020 at 11:55 PM, subtledoctor said:

Okay what the heck.  In version 0.9.6 I've added a mage/psion kit, and also tightened up a few things, e.g. psion kits will be properly prevented from getting the "check for wild talent" ability.  And you will now be able to see your initial known devotions in the priest spellbook - at least once you choose another power.

Cheers.

ok , last question @subtledoctor , how do I change the mage kit in the cerbermenacer to be generalist mage in my game ? 

Okay, I've got major updates ready for most of the mods I've been working on.  Lots of fixes and compatibility improvements.  Will to Power is up to version 0.9.7

This update squashes a few small bugs, and one fairly biggish one that would crash the game if you used Object Reading as a Wild Talent.  It also upgrades the Faiths & Powers compatibility code, such that the various psion kits can properly define their weapon proficiencies if the FnP Priest Weapon Usability system is installed first.

Cheers.

I installed 0.9.7 and it's making EEKeeper crash when I go into the innate spells area.

EDIT:  Actually, it makes EEKeeper crash when you go into the spell browser from any screen.  I use EEKeeper a lot when testing stuff so it's sort of a deal breaker if I can't use it.  Do you have any idea why it would bothering it?

Edited by Lauriel

I don't know.  I don't know how EEKeeper works.  I vaguely recall, from when I used it 10+ years ago, that when I used EEKeeper (or ShadowKeeper, back then) to modify something in a savegame, when I loaded the save afterward all my spells would be restored.  More recently, people have reported with another mod that EEKeeper can screw up the way I use extra proficiency values to record bardic spell slots. 

How does it do such things?  I don't know, I don't know anyone who is responsible for the program these days.  What bothers me more is, why would it do such things?  I can load up a savegame in Near Infinity, poke around, check some things out, and then when I load it in the game later, nothing in the save has changed other than what I intentionally changed.  To me, that is how a save editor should work.  That EEKeeper changes things even when the user does not intend to change anything, is worrisome to me.  I speculate - but this is pure speculation - that that aspect of the program is connected to why it doesn't like some of my mods.  Alas, there doesn't seem to be anyone around who understands the inner workings of the program. So who knows.

Admittedly, this mod does some fairly wild gyrations with spells in order to work the way it does.  If you want my "close-your-eyes-and-throw-a-dart-at-the-wall" guess, this mod creates some spells with lots and lots of effects - several hundred, at least.  Maybe EEKeeper just can't load such spells into its spell window? 

I recommend using Near Infinity over EEKeeper.  It's not as newb-friendly, but once you get used the slightly clunky interface, it is a much more precise and powerful tool.

Strangeness with a wild ability: Project Force

36 psi (for lack of a better term) when I start, cast it once against a locked chest, it opens and I'm left with 12.  Use it again and I have 6...which I expected when I had 12 originally.  Was the 36 a fluke and it should have read 18?

18 hours ago, Lauriel said:

Strangeness with a wild ability: Project Force

36 psi (for lack of a better term) when I start, cast it once against a locked chest, it opens and I'm left with 12.  Use it again and I have 6...which I expected when I had 12 originally.  Was the 36 a fluke and it should have read 18?

Only the initial 36 was a fluke.  This can happen at the very beginning of a game, but it corrects itself when you use any power.  Should be fine after that.  It should just be a bug with the initial display - not with the recording of your actual PSPs.

For clarity: wild talents with devotions get 18 PSPs (3 uses/day before you have to dip into your health); wild talents with sciences get 20 PSPs (2 uses/day before dipping into your health).

A note on install order.  If you're going to load 'Improved Archer', do so before this mod.  'Improved Archer' swaps out the clab file for archers so it'll wipe out the wild talent spell added by W2P.  I haven't checked yet, but hopefully W2P checks kitlist.2da to makes it's changes and uses the current one in the game instead of hard-coding the one it expects to be there.  Knowing @subtledoctor, I'd bet real money he does.

Edited by Lauriel