SubtleMods: Will to Power, a 2E-inspired psionics mod

2 hours ago, Caedwyr said:

Multiclass kits show as having multiple charges of "check for wild talent" innates.

Multiclass kits get every kit ability in the trueclass table of their underlying classes.  So a fighter/mage gets every AP_ and GA_ ability from both CLABFI01.2da and CLABMA01.2da.  There is no getting around this - well, you can gate everything through opcode 177... I do that in special circumstances like for sphere access in Faiths & Powers, but in most cases it is unwarranted. In this case, the innate ability removes itself forever when you use it once, so even if you a re a F/M/C and you appear to have 3 instance of it, it will behave precisely the same as for any other class or kit. 

@subtledoctor
Request: Add a psionic Monk kit.  One of my friends very much enjoyed the notion of being a psionic Monk in 3.5 - perhaps like Neo from The Matrix in terms of the fantastic effects

Since you envisioned Monks as not merely Thief kits, what about simulating multiclassing by reducing EXP gained by 50%?

If this already exists, let me know and extra thanks!

How would I go about editing the kits myself? I'm trying to give the 2 abilities per level to the Ranger/Psion, and have tried editing d5psirn.2da but none of the changes go through. Am I editing the wrong file? It references the "choose a psionic power" spells in a 2-1-2-1 manner, so I assume not.

14 hours ago, Ebonslayer said:

How would I go about editing the kits myself? I'm trying to give the 2 abilities per level to the Ranger/Psion, and have tried editing d5psirn.2da but none of the changes go through. Am I editing the wrong file? It references the "choose a psionic power" spells in a 2-1-2-1 manner, so I assume not.

These are multiclass kits, so the contents of the kit's .2da table at each level get put into QD_MCP01.spl, QD_MCP02.spl, etc.  You would need to edit those spells.

Or, far easier, edit those tables in will_to_power/data/kit/ with a simple text editor, before you install the mod.

23 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

These are multiclass kits, so the contents of the kit's .2da table at each level get put into QD_MCP01.spl, QD_MCP02.spl, etc.  You would need to edit those spells.

Or, far easier, edit those tables in will_to_power/data/kit/ with a simple text editor, before you install the mod.

Ah, so I was editing the right things, just too late? Welp, time to reinstall everything, I suppose. Oh well, thank you.

Edited by Ebonslayer
Guest Halcyon8705

Wow, a ton updated since I last looked at the mod, really looking forward to these revisions!

A couple of questions.  First, are there Psionic HLA included in the mod?  Second, how does this mod relate to your Refinements mod, and should it be installed before or after?  

Thanks

3 hours ago, Guest ront said:

Is this mod feature complete?

Yup! Everything has been tested, everything is functional, and I’ve played it several times through BGEE/SoD/mid-SoA. I haven’t fully playtested the HLA-level abilities in-game, since it is taking me a while to get to TOB. They all work fine in artificial testing though, so I have no reason to think they won’t be fine in-game as well. 

The abilities probably need to be balanced and refined a bit... feel free to post opinions here and I will listen!

I think I've hit upon a way to make the maintainable powers drain your PSPs (and HPs) over time, without having to more or less create a whole new mod. It would work like this:

Currently, when you use a maintainable power like Inertial Barrier, there is a one-time cost of 6 points. The power lasts for 20 rounds, after which it cancels itself. The new way would be: you spend 6 points to initiate Inertial Barrier. Five rounds later, it renews itself - at a cost of 6 more points. Five rounds later, it renews itself again, costing you 6 more points.  This continues until either 1) you cancel the power, or 2) you run out of points, whereupon it will auto-cancel.

If you don't have enough PSPs left, the same thing will happen with your hit points: they will be drained every five rounds, until you run out of health and you fall down unconscious.

• I could, maybe, possibly, set it up so that initiating the power costs 6 points (or 10 for sciences) and the subsequent renewals each five rounds cost 3 points (or 5 for sciences).
  • I could, of course, shorten or lengthen the period of time between renewals. 
  • I could also, of course, change the cost of powers, and/or change the amount of PSPs that psions gets.

Thoughts?

----------------------------------

Separately, I think I want to change 'Life Detection' (a.k.a. See Invisible) into a devotion, instead of a science. But that would mean we need another science in the Clairsentience discipline.  Any ideas?

On 2/1/2021 at 4:01 PM, subtledoctor said:

I think I've hit upon a way to make the maintainable powers drain your PSPs (and HPs) over time, without having to more or less create a whole new mod. It would work like this:

Currently, when you use a maintainable power like Inertial Barrier, there is a one-time cost of 6 points. The power lasts for 20 rounds, after which it cancels itself. The new way would be: you spend 6 points to initiate Inertial Barrier. Five rounds later, it renews itself - at a cost of 6 more points. Five rounds later, it renews itself again, costing you 6 more points.  This continues until either 1) you cancel the power, or 2) you run out of points, whereupon it will auto-cancel.

If you don't have enough PSPs left, the same thing will happen with your hit points: they will be drained every five rounds, until you run out of health and you fall down unconscious.

• I could, maybe, possibly, set it up so that initiating the power costs 6 points (or 10 for sciences) and the subsequent renewals each five rounds cost 3 points (or 5 for sciences).
  • I could, of course, shorten or lengthen the period of time between renewals. 
  • I could also, of course, change the cost of powers, and/or change the amount of PSPs that psions gets.

Thoughts?

----------------------------------

Separately, I think I want to change 'Life Detection' (a.k.a. See Invisible) into a devotion, instead of a science. But that would mean we need another science in the Clairsentience discipline.  Any ideas?

Not sure if I care for that idea. I think the main reason to make maintained powers a toggle instead of having a duration is to allow you to walk around with them on instead of having to reapply every buff at the start of combat. However, if it's draining your points while you're wandering around, it simply means you'd just deactivate them after every fight, adding yet another step a player will be inconvenienced to do and ultimately negating the point of the change anyhow. If there was a way to only drain the PSP in combat (not sure if that's even possible) and let you wander around with no cost it'd be fine, but otherwise I don't think it'd work well.

Well, right now they expire after 20 rounds anyway. 

The thing is, a straight one-time point drain made a lot of sense when the mod only used hit points to power your abilities. You could walk around with Dermal Carapace, but your max HP would be 10 points lower. Add Danger Sense, and they would be 20 points lower. Etc. Maintaining powers came at a real cost and real risk. 

But now that we have PSPs, that risk is gone. A fighter/psion can layer on Carapace + Camouflage + Danger Sense + Inertial Barrier for something like an 11-point AC bonus plus damage reduction plus 1x/round Stoneskin plus crit protection plus AoE evasion... at that point why bother using any more psionics? Just walk around like that and tear things up. 

There needs to be some kind of cost to prevent them being permabuffs. Currently they expire after 20 rounds, meaning you have to spend those 36 points once per fight, or so. The proposal would hew closer to the actual D&D source material, making you spend points over time to maintain an effect. 

I could probably rig it such that the powers would auto-renew themselves while you are in combat, and would just expire when you are not in combat. That way you could initiate some abilities at the beginning of a fight, but you would not have to micromanage by turning them off. 

Updated to version 1.2.

This is largely a compatibility update to keep everything on the same page among the various mods I've worked on. If you use/plan to use any of the following, I recommend you update them all together to the latest versions:

Guest UlvenAspiration

So I updated the game to 2.6, and now I'm getting this error installing Will To Power.

Copying and patching 1 file ...
[./override/splprot.2da] loaded, 21084 bytes
[./override/evads252.2da] loaded, 12 bytes
Copying and patching 1 file ...
ERROR: cannot convert state_row or %state_row% to an integer
ERROR: [spcl722.spl] -> [override/spcl722.spl] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Add the Psionicist, rogue/psion], rolling back to previous state
Unable to Unlink [will_to_power/backup/200/OTHER.200]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "will_to_power/backup/200/OTHER.200")
[will_to_power/backup/200/UNSETSTR.200] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
Will uninstall 1595 files for [WILL_TO_POWER/WILL_TO_POWER.TP2] component 200.
Uninstalled    1595 files for [WILL_TO_POWER/WILL_TO_POWER.TP2] component 200.
Unable to Unlink [will_to_power/backup/200/READLN.200]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "will_to_power/backup/200/READLN.200")
Unable to Unlink [will_to_power/backup/200/READLN.200.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "will_to_power/backup/200/READLN.200.TEXT")
DLCMERGER/DLCMERGER.TP2  0  1 Installed
ERROR: Not_found
Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-WILL_TO_POWER.DEBUG and look for support at: SubtleD
Using Language [English]
[English] has 1 top-level TRA files
[will_to_power/language/english/setup.tra] has 214 translation strings

Install Component [Add the Psionicist, rogue/psion]?
nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? Saving This Log:
DLCMERGER/DLCMERGER.TP2  0  1 Installed
[DlcMerger/languages/english/setup.tra] has 21 translation strings
18841 characters, 109 entries added to DIALOG.TLK
[.\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk] created, 71513 string entries

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Add the Psionicist, rogue/psion

Anyone know what's causing this?