Editing and Adding spl files

Guest Alex

Guest Alex

I'm new to modding I decided to make my own revision of the Shapeshifter Druid kit. I want to add a Lesser Werewolf transformation for the early levels. with Nearinfinity I exported the spcl643.spl file, renamed it spcl645.spl and changed the descriptions. I put the file in the Override folder but when I launch the game, it overwrites the descriptions in the spcl643 file.  how d I keep all 3 files separate?

Also, how do I edit the the abilities effects? I'm guessing it's in the "spell ability" section but I cant make heads or tails of those values.

1 hour ago, Guest Alex said:

how d I keep all 3 files separate?

Well, you don't use Near Infinity to edit the description, but you make the mod into a weidu mod, aka you start by making a text file, rename it into a setup-modname.tp2 -file and then you open up any other weidu mods tp2 file and have a look... basically, you add this to the file:

BACKUP ~modname/backup~  
AUTHOR "Alex"

BEGIN ~Lesser werewolf~
COPY_EXISTING ~spcl643.spl~ ~override/customs1.spl~
SAY NAME1 ~spell name~
SAY NAME2 ~spell name2~
SAY DESC ~new description for the spl file~
//additional weidu code

And then you copy one of the other the setup-modname1.exe's you have in your game folder if you have installed any mods, and name that as the specific setup-modname.exe, yes, the modname in the above example is your unique name for it... so use it in all the places you find it.

1 hour ago, Guest Alex said:

Also, how do I edit the the abilities effects? I'm guessing it's in the "spell ability" section but I cant make heads or tails of those values.

This is likely because the spell points to a specific creature or item... so your best bet is to make a custom creature or item, and edit the spell accordingly. In the case of the werewolf form, is an item, cdbrbrp.itm . Which uses a polymorph effect to refer to the werewodr.cre -creature. So there.

PS, in these game, you can only have 8 letters in your files. This is due to very old engine limitations.

Ask more...

Yes, that was a journey.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
Guest Alex

thank you so much!!

there are 3 things I want to do:

1. Fix the werewolf and greater werewolf forms to give them the abilities they're suppose to have like the Shapeshifter rebalancing mod does , except fix the forms themselves and not just create items that give all the proper abilities (at least thats how I understood how that mod works).

1 hour ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Well, you don't use Near Infinity to edit the description, but you make the mod into a weidu mod, aka you start by making a text file, rename it into a setup-modname.tp2 -file and then you open up any other weidu mods tp2 file and have a look... basically, you add this to the file:

If not the descriptions, am I suppose to use Nearinfinity to edit the file values? I see options for that so I assume so. How to I change the enchantment level for attacks? I cant seem to find that option.

2. Create a Lesser Werewolf form. I think I know how to overwrite clabdr03.2da so that the kit gets the Lesser transformation over the normal one. So I need to create a new creature file and spl file.

COPY_EXISTING ~spcl643.spl~ ~override/customs1.spl~

so if I make spcl645.spl for the Lesser transformation and use this code it wont affect the spcl643.spl or the spcl644.spl files?

3. I was thinking of also giving the ability to cast while in werewolf form as a HLA. From what I understand, the transformation swaps your character for the werewolf creature. thats why the spellcasting is disabled, the werewolf creature itself doesnt have spellcasting. So I would have to figure out how to make the HLA gives all the forms access to the characters spellcasting.

4 hours ago, Guest Alex said:

so if I make spcl645.spl for the Lesser transformation and use this code it wont affect the spcl643.spl or the spcl644.spl files?

1. Well, so long as you replace the custom1.spl with the spcl645.spl in the code, yeah.

2. And yeah, you can use different tools for different aspects of the mod, Near Infinity is good at editing files if you want to see the change and you can then use just:

COPY ~modname/file.extension~ ~override/file.extension~

to use the custom files in a different game... with all the same description renaming rutine during install. That's why it's best to learn weidu for dialog changes, as it's name actually is Wei(mer's )d(ialog editing )u(tility).

3. Yeah, that's a lot more tricky as you need to replicate the creatures stats and weapons etc ... and there's a few dozen mods that already do this kind of trick. But you can use the same opcode to just look a like the werewolf. That won't make the weapon, so you need a custom one and add an effect to the primary spell to add it in, add in set stats effects etc.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
Guest Alex
On 5/3/2020 at 12:05 AM, Jarno Mikkola said:

1. Well, so long as you replace the custom1.spl with the spcl645.spl in the code, yeah.

2. And yeah, you can use different tools for different aspects of the mod, Near Infinity is good at editing files if you want to see the change and you can then use just:

COPY ~modname/file.extension~ ~override/file.extension~

to use the custom files in a different game... with all the same description renaming rutine during install. That's why it's best to learn weidu for dialog changes, as it's name actually is Wei(mer's )d(ialog editing )u(tility).

3. Yeah, that's a lot more tricky as you need to replicate the creatures stats and weapons etc ... and there's a few dozen mods that already do this kind of trick. But you can use the same opcode to just look a like the werewolf. That won't make the weapon, so you need a custom one and add an effect to the primary spell to add it in, add in set stats effects etc.

Alright, I'm doing good so far. I restored the existing werewolf forms and now I'm trying to add the custom Lesser Werewolf creature file I made but its giving me an error when I try to install:

WeiDU v 24600 Log

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\setup-Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit.exe
[.\chitin.key] loaded, 776685 bytes
[.\chitin.key] 118 BIFFs, 55226 resources
[.\engine.lua] loaded, 101 bytes
[.\weidu.conf] loaded, 17 bytes
[.\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk] loaded, 8686163 bytes
[.\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk] 71375 string entries

Using .\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk

Install Component [Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit]?
nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? 
Installing [Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit]
Copying and patching 1 file ...
ERROR: error loading [Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit/CRE/WERELEDR.CRE]
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit], rolling back to previous state
Unable to Unlink [Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit/backup/0/OTHER.0]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit/backup/0/OTHER.0")
[Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit/backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
Will uninstall   0 files for [SETUP-BALANCED_SHAPESHIFTER_KIT.TP2] component 0.
Uninstalled      0 files for [SETUP-BALANCED_SHAPESHIFTER_KIT.TP2] component 0.
Unable to Unlink [Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit/backup/0/READLN.0]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit/backup/0/READLN.0")
Unable to Unlink [Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit/backup/0/READLN.0.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit/backup/0/READLN.0.TEXT")
ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit/CRE/WERELEDR.CRE")
Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-BALANCED_SHAPESHIFTER_KIT.DEBUG and look for support at: Alex

Install Component [Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit]?
nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? Saving This Log:

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit

WeiDU Timings
OUTER_INNER_PATCH_SAVE           0.000
<<<<<<<<                         0.000
load TLK                         0.000
tp2 uninstall                    0.000
DEFINE_PATCH_FUNCTION            0.000
DEFINE_ACTION_FUNCTION           0.000
OUTER_SET                        0.000
INCLUDE                          0.000
parsing .log files               0.000
process_patch2                   0.000
eval_pe                          0.000
DEFINE_ACTION_MACRO              0.000
OUTER_INNER_PATCH                0.000
READ_*                           0.000
loading files                    0.000
DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO               0.000
COPY                             0.000
Parsing TP2 files                0.016
unmarshal KEY                    0.031
stuff not covered elsewhere      0.031
unmarshal TLK                    0.031
Parsing TPA files                0.047
TOTAL                            0.156

Heres my code pertaining to it and a couple other files im trying to add:

COPY ~Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit/CRE/WERELEDR.CRE~ ~override~
            SAY NAME1 ~Lesser Werewolf~
            SAY NAME2 ~Lesser Werewolf~

COPY ~Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit/2da/spcl645.spl~ ~override~
            SAY NAME1 ~Shapeshift: Lesser Werewolf~
            SAY NAME2 ~Shapeshift: Lesser Werewolf~

COPY_EXISTING ~Balanced_shapeshifter_Kit/2da/clabdr03.2da~ ~override~

What am I missing to add new files?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

What operation system do you have ? Windows ... nearly every one of those today have this thing called, you can't write into the file folders files*... you are better off installing games like these into your user folder, that is IF you use the C drive at all, so here:

C:\Users\<username>\Games\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition ... yes, Steam will allow this, but you need to reinstall the game and not use the default install folder. And yes, the files shown in the folder, but they are not actually there, but in a folder the weidu.exe has no access to... cause it's not made aware of the operation systems quirkiness. Just like you are not.

The files are likely somewhere over here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\ -and only mirrored from there to the place you actually tried to put them into.

And yeah, the appdata folder is a hidden folder by default, so you can't search it's content unless you enable the option in folder options menu.

*The history of this is that it was first in Windows 10... but it has crept up to at least Windows 7 now, via OS updates. The optimistic view is that it was a measure to try to not allow viruses in the operation system folders... but the less so is that they made cheese in the whole old system up bad, and didn't want to get rid of it..

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
Guest Alex

What operation system do you have ? Windows ... nearly every one of those today have this thing called, you can't write into the file folders files*... you are better off installing games like these into your user folder, that is IF you use the C drive at all, so here:

C:\Users\<username>\Games\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition ... yes, Steam will allow this, but you need to reinstall the game and not use the default install folder. And yes, the files shown in the folder, but they are not actually there, but in a folder the weidu.exe has no access to... cause it's not made aware of the operation systems quirkiness. Just like you are not.

The files are likely somewhere over here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\ -and only mirrored from there to the place you actually tried to put them into.

And yeah, the appdata folder is a hidden folder by default, so you can't search it's content unless you enable the option in folder options menu.

*The history of this is that it was first in Windows 10... but it has crept up to at least Windows 7 now, via OS updates. The optimistic view is that it was a measure to try to not allow viruses in the operation system folders... but the less so is that they made cheese in the whole old system up bad, and didn't want to get rid of it..

ouf... yeah im using windows 10...

so i uninstall steam and reinstall it in my user folder? and then my code will actually work? 

Guest Alex

Should yes.

ok, I reinstalled steam and put it in my user folder... and nothings changed. still get errors trying install my mod. and I went into the appdata folder... the only thing related to steam is something called steamlink

Erhm, this:

Is not an existing file in the game ... as it copies it over from the mods folder... so you can't use the _EXISTING ... and did you copy the files over to the mod folder ? In their correct folders, and named as such.

Guest Alex

Should yes.

ok I reinstalled steam in my user folder... and nothings changed. I'm still getting errors when I try to install the new files into the game. and I went into appdata and the oly thing related to steam is something called steamlink..

ok, made myself an account since im making so many posts. 

I put COPY_EXISTING only for clabdr03.2da which does exist. the error keeps coming up for WERELEDR.CRE only

clabdr03.2da  is the file that tells the kit what levels it gets its abilities. I updated it for the Lesser Werewolf transformation

Edited by gamemaster76
23 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Erhm, this:

Is not an existing file in the game ... as it copies it over from the mods folder... so you can't use the _EXISTING ... and did you copy the files over to the mod folder ? In their correct folders, and named as such.

Since that issues fixed now, there's only one bug left.... and I'm even more stumped the other issues...
Whenever I'm transformed and I transform into one of the other forms, it always gives me the vanilla versions and ignores the improves I put in. Meanwhile, if I turn back into a human then transform everything is fine.

For example: I turn into Lesser Werewolf and then turn in Greater Werewolf. I get the form from before my mod, with no immunity to normal weapons,  the paws are still treated as +2 weapons, etc. Strange thing is this only applies to the normal and Greater forms. If I go from Greater to Lesser, then I get everything I'm suppose to.