Playing some sounds on attack

I'm changing a melee weapon to play some custom sounds at attacks. I put them in effects, targeted Self, and they are supposed to go off when the attack is made (Original caster would play them when and if the strike landed). But they are not getting played. Thinking they may be overriden by standard attack wooshes, I used a different timing, tried casting a spell on Self instead and put the sounds there. But the spell is not getting cast. Is this some finicky trait of melee weapons? Looking into Neera's staff, I see that it has two Damage effects, one for Preset target and one for Self, so obviously the Self timing here works like Original caster. So, is there any way to do what I want, apply effects when the attack is attempted?

#174 (0xAE) Spell Effect: Play Sound Effect attached to item is played only on successful hit, exception is ranged weapon where you can attach sound to projectile itself.

I solved similar problem when i wanted to play hm hm lightsaber sound, even if target missed, melee weapon header ignores projectile field

the only way how to play melee weapon sound is attach it to creature XXXX.ini file, and then change id appearance to duplicated  XXXX.ini... or make fake melee weapon which is in fact ranged weapon with projectile, with attack rage 2, and attach sound to projectile.

I used the first method, i made duplicates of thief ini files so after equipping lightsaber thief transformed to duplicated anim of jedi_thief with special lightsaber sounds.

That's interesting. A bit of an overkill for the purpose, I think, but still. Besides, how would this handle dual-wielding different weapons? Anyway, I settled for on-hit sounds, but your second idea sounds good. If the fake melee weapon doesn't behave differently from the real thing in other respects. Why not convert all melee weapons to this scheme, in fact? And get rid of the unalterable "None" projectile for them. Ranged-type weapons put some penalties on their holders when attacking in close combat, though, don't they?

yes ranged weapons are penalized in melee combat, projectile can hold 1 sound only while ini can have slash, backslash, jab sounds + alternative sounds are not limited to 3.

But if you plan to make some mass patch for all weapons you would end with countless number of files, i had 1 sword and i limited it to thiefs only, because each race/class has special paperdol, human can be mage/cleric/thief,monk.... each has own ini file