Item's extended header flags, bit 16 "Bypass armor"

Guest Supertramp

Guest Supertramp

Hey,

I noticed with Near Infinity that there's a "Bypass armor" flag that can be turned on inside item ability flags, it is bit 16. The IESDP doesn't document it, any idea what it does exactly?

For what it's worth in all of BG:EE+SoD and BG2:EE, only the Wand of Polymorphing uses it.

Guest Supertramp

So if I read between the lines correctly, it's an IWD2-only thing and it's just an error that a single item file in Baldur's Gate games (Wand of Polymorphing) has this bit set?

'cause the wand doesn't "bypass armor" any more than other wands, they don't ever go through the to-hit calculation so they don't have any need for a "bypass armor" flag.

Guest Supertramp

Well, in the end I switched on this flag on a weapon in BG:EE and BG2:EE. It misses normally and its damage gets resisted normally. Can't think of another reasonable meaning to bypassing armor so I guess it's not a Baldur's Gate flag...

8 hours ago, lynx said:

If -1 works like that, that's more like an autohit than bypassing armor.

It's 32767, not (-1|65535), but you are correct that it is actually an autohit, no different than attacking a helpless target.

@Guest From the in-game description, "bypass armor" simulates touch attacks - bypassing AC from armor and shields, but not from other sources. IWD2 is the only game coded with such AC bonuses, as it's Armor Class opcode is setup differently.

Guest Supertramp

I guess it should be documented in ITM V2 then.

Near Infinity might also want to condition the displaying of labels to their belonging to the file version currently being explored.

Not saying what people should do while I sit on my ass, these are basically the "conclusions" of the thread laid down for convenience.

Guest Supertramp

Oh right, Near Infinity lists 32 flags and IESDP went with 16, sorry then. I'd agree with NI if it's truly on/off switches and you can get Keen+Brilliant at once, otherwise I'd agree with IESDP which seems to suggests it's either/or (since it doesn't mention that 3 = Both). But IWD2 isn't a game I played so we probably don't care who I'd agree with :D