Searching for tools to edit a .dll's metadata.

So google is really not helpful in searching any ways to edit files data that's in a .dll files, and I am sure there are people that know a free tool just for this... right ?

It could be called something else too, but I am talking about the files property that you get to see when you right click any file in Windows, go to properties, and then to the Details view, like this:

metadata_1.jpg

There's only the option to remove it... but I need to modify. This would be easy in a .docx file... or on .mp3.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

From what I can discern, what you're asking about is a bit of a mixed bag.  An executable's (EXE, DLL, etc) "resources" including FileVersion, ProductName, etc. can be edited with Resource Hacker.  See the "Version Info" field, although in recent versions only if it has not been compressed with an EXE compressor like UPX or mpress.  Many of these fields show up in the details provided by Explorer.  Many other fields (such as name, timestamps, etc.) are NTFS metadata or extended attributes.  FileAlyzer can view these, but can't edit them.  Various programs can edit some of these programmatically, but I'm not familiar with a single program that can edit ALL NTFS metadata/attributes.  As an example, AutoHotkey can be used to edit modification time, creation time, and last access time.  To further complicate things, many file formats, especially multi-media files like WAV, MP3, MPEG, etc. can have metadata embedded in to the file format which Explorer can directly display (either in the main window when set to Details or under a file's Properties as you have shown).  These can include Artist, Title, Album, etc.  And to make matters even harder, Explorer can display attributes read directly from some file format's internal structure, such as an image's dimension.  MediaInfo is a fantastic tool for displaying (but not editing) this type of information.

It would help to know exactly what you are after.

Uuh, yeah, I found the Resource Hacker before but I didn't try it, but now that I have, it's exactly what I was looking for. I tried a few others, but they lead me to no where, so I came here to ask, before throwing in the towel... so thank you.

EDIT: Now that I have released my project, here's the end result:

dllpicture.png

Edited by Jarno Mikkola